Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Icaras
macrumors 601

Ok to leave Battery charger plugged in indefinitely after green light has gone off?

So I just got hold of a few of these new battery chargers from Apple and I'm just wondering if these are meant to stay plugged in the wall, even after the green light goes off. Does the light going off mean that the batteries will no longer draw power from the power outlet and that it is safe to assume power will continue to be consumed? Or is it preferred that I plug and unplug the charger only when needed to avoid any, unnecessary, extra power consumption?

Anyone have an idea? Much appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:55 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Yes, it's fine to leave it plugged in. It stops charging when the battery is fully charged. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, it's fine to leave it plugged in. It stops charging when the battery is fully charged. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
Thanks. Great info there, but if I'm not mistaken, is that resource just specifically for Mac laptop batteries? I was speaking of the new Battery charger accessory that Apple just released.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:35 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Thanks. Great info there, but if I'm not mistaken, is that resource just specifically for Mac laptop batteries? I was speaking of the new Battery charger accessory that Apple just released.
I missed that. Your answer is here:

http://www.apple.com/battery-charger/
Quote:
But the Apple Battery Charger senses when its batteries are done charging and automatically reduces the amount of power it needs.
Quote:
Thanks to an intelligent power management system, the Apple Battery Charger uses less power once your batteries are fully charged,
and here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4275
Quote:
When to Unplug Apple Battery Charger

You should unplug Apple Battery Charger from the power outlet if any of the following conditions exist:

The charger plug, the adaptor itself, or the charging case is damaged.
The charger is exposed to rain, liquid, or excessive moisture.
You suspect the charger needs service or repair.
The AC power cord has become frayed or damaged.
You suspect a battery is damaged.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals