Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Sgt93
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 Yahoo mail problem

On my 3G the mail would push just fine. I cannot get yahoo email to push at all on the 4. I have to manually search for it. What gives?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Rayfire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
On my 3G the mail would push just fine. I cannot get yahoo email to push at all on the 4. I have to manually search for it. What gives?
Same here. I've been using Gmail because Yahoo email won't "push" anymore, really hoping they'd fix it (either Yahoo or Apple).
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:08 PM   #3
countrydweller
macrumors 6502

Same here, had to inform people to use my gmail account.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:20 AM   #4
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

what do you mean "push"?
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:47 AM   #5
tastychicken
macrumors member

I have the same issue with mine also. It used to work with my 3G also but not with my 4.
tastychicken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 01:14 AM   #6
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Make sure fetch isn't set to "manual" (use check every 15 minutes) even if you have push on, then reboot the phone.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:26 AM   #7
MadMacxxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Make sure fetch isn't set to "manual" (use check every 15 minutes) even if you have push on, then reboot the phone.
Why should that matter? The issue is with push, and fetching is only when push is off or unavailable. Even if push is failing and fetch is making up for it by fetching data every 15, 30, or 60 minutes, the point is that push isn't working properly. I want my mail delivered instantly, via push.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:37 AM   #8
Rayfire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
what do you mean "push"?
Basially Yahoo email users on iPhone 4 (on my end) don't get notified right away if they had a new incoming email, unlike before. Now we have to manually check our inbox, by tapping the Mail app, for new incoming emails. Before this was done flawlessly, emails were just "pushed" instantly, not manually fetched even though the setting for Yahoo was on push.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:45 AM   #9
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMacxxx View Post
Why should that matter? The issue is with push, and fetching is only when push is off or unavailable. Even if push is failing and fetch is making up for it by fetching data every 15, 30, or 60 minutes, the point is that push isn't working properly. I want my mail delivered instantly, via push.
It's a known bug within Yahoo that causes mail not to work when it's set to "manual." I wanted to confirm that it's not the source of the problem.

Also, go to Settings > Mail > Fetch New Data > Advanced and ensure it's set to Push.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:51 AM   #10
orpheus1120
macrumors 65816

This problem existed ever since the original iPhone 2G was introduced. Steve Jobs mentioned in his keynote that Yahoo mail has push mail integrated but never worked in reality. I have yet to receive a push from my yahoo mail ever.

You can try third party apps that provide push notifications for yahoo mail. But the only one I know of is IM+. Even the most versatile mail pusher app like Mail Notifier doesn't provide Yahoo mail push. There ought to be a technical reason for the exclusion.
orpheus1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 03:34 AM   #11
MadMacxxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
It's a known bug within Yahoo that causes mail not to work when it's set to "manual." I wanted to confirm that it's not the source of the problem.

Also, go to Settings > Mail > Fetch New Data > Advanced and ensure it's set to Push.
I see, I changed it to 15. Hours later I checked my desktop and noticed 3 emails. No notification on my iphone. They appeared after manually checking the app.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:37 AM   #12
Sgt93
macrumors 6502

I received push mail on my 3G. I rarely had a problem and the mail was as reliable as MobileMe. There is an issue with the 4 and yahoo for sure. I hope it gets fixed.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:41 AM   #13
krayziekray
macrumors 6502

This problem has been around for a long time. I had this problem when I first got my 3G and then after a couple of months it started working again. Now for the last 2 months I have had this problem (with my 3G), and it is now continuing with my iPhone 4 ... I don't think it's an Apple problem, but rather Yahoos server issue.
iPhone 3G 16GB (Black) - Stock OS ... What do you think???
krayziekray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:48 AM   #14
Rahstyles
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Rahstyles
WAit what?? Gmail has push mail now?
Rahstyles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:41 AM   #15
TroyBoy30
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfire View Post
Basially Yahoo email users on iPhone 4 (on my end) don't get notified right away if they had a new incoming email, unlike before. Now we have to manually check our inbox, by tapping the Mail app, for new incoming emails. Before this was done flawlessly, emails were just "pushed" instantly, not manually fetched even though the setting for Yahoo was on push.
strange because i have yahoo emails come through even though I have it set to manual with push off. If i want to check email, i'll check it. I don't want mine to push or fetch but it does it anyway!
TroyBoy30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:46 AM   #16
jwilson25
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
strange because i have yahoo emails come through even though I have it set to manual with push off. If i want to check email, i'll check it. I don't want mine to push or fetch but it does it anyway!
Same issue I have with mine as well.
jwilson25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:46 AM   #17
BigKyle
macrumors member

what i have noticed is when the mail.app is "running" in my "task bar" thing for multi tasking, it doesnt push, but if i make sure its closed out of there when im done in the app i get the push mail just fine...

its weird
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:47 AM   #18
Sgt93
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMacxxx View Post
I see, I changed it to 15. Hours later I checked my desktop and noticed 3 emails. No notification on my iphone. They appeared after manually checking the app.
Yeah, it is not a simple settings issue. I have tried it all.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:29 AM   #19
Ding.Dong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziekray View Post
This problem has been around for a long time. I had this problem when I first got my 3G and then after a couple of months it started working again. Now for the last 2 months I have had this problem (with my 3G), and it is now continuing with my iPhone 4 ... I don't think it's an Apple problem, but rather Yahoos server issue.
I agree. I've had a Yahoo email account on three different iPhones since 2007, and it's never reliably pushed. Sometimes it pushes and sometimes it doesn't. At first, Yahoo was the only push email for the iPhone, so I wasn't sure if the problem was on Apple or Yahoo's end. Now that there's other push options that all seem to work well, it's obvious that the problem is with Yahoo's servers.
Ding.Dong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:43 PM   #20
orangecrushv
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKyle View Post
what i have noticed is when the mail.app is "running" in my "task bar" thing for multi tasking, it doesnt push, but if i make sure its closed out of there when im done in the app i get the push mail just fine...

its weird
I just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. It cleared up my push issues too...
orangecrushv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:01 PM   #21
Sgt93
macrumors 6502

What does the mail.app symbol look like? How so I turn it off to ensure push works?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:07 PM   #22
pbateman
macrumors regular

I think its an iOS issue cos since I upgraded to 4.0 and later my push has not been working properly on my 3G. It used to work just fine before upgrading to iOS4
pbateman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:30 PM   #23
toss002
macrumors regular

I 'had' the same issue coming from iPhone 3G--'restoring' from its data. But I tried the following and I have had NO problem since (knock on wood):

In the settings, try "reset" (the first one, the one that doesn't erase anything).
toss002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Sgt93
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by toss002 View Post
I 'had' the same issue coming from iPhone 3G--'restoring' from its data. But I tried the following and I have had NO problem since (knock on wood):

In the settings, try "reset" (the first one, the one that doesn't erase anything).

The first "reset" under "General" in "Settings"?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:48 PM   #25
toss002
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
The first "reset" under "General" in "Settings"?
Yes....
toss002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone