Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
we seemed to have lost our xserve.local connection using Server Admin.
we lost both options to patch in from external Macs and from within the XServe itself. This happened after updating the Leopard Server recently.
I get the "There is no server available...." warning.
OS 10.5.8 is current OS. and 10.5.3 current Server Admin.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
Weird I guess Im the only one having this prob.
To date, were now getting some connections then other days no connection.
This doesnt stop us from using AFP but does screw up a few PC's using SMB.
Now were seeing a trend here.
When its not accessible from Server Admin, the hard-drive space on the XServe is down to zero. When were not having this problem its back up to real space (380GB) amount.
Weird.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Weird I guess Im the only one having this prob.
To date, were now getting some connections then other days no connection.
This doesnt stop us from using AFP but does screw up a few PC's using SMB.
Now were seeing a trend here.
When its not accessible from Server Admin, the hard-drive space on the XServe is down to zero. When were not having this problem its back up to real space (380GB) amount.
Weird.

Typically when this happens it's a DNS issue. Is this machine acting as a DNS server for the network?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
Typically when this happens it's a DNS issue. Is this machine acting as a DNS server for the network?
DNS is not even on with this machine. Its in a subnetwork at my corporation. It takes care of the Macs/PC in our dept. It is weird that it happens every so often. it didnt start till a week ago when IT let it go into the wild (internet). we had to shut off port 80 cause they didnt like it hitting akaimi every second. The system went online and all required updates were downloaded. after that its never been the same :p

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
DNS is not even on with this machine. Its in a subnetwork at my corporation. It takes care of the Macs/PC in our dept. It is weird that it happens every so often. it didnt start till a week ago when IT let it go into the wild (internet). we had to shut off port 80 cause they didnt like it hitting akaimi every second. The system went online and all required updates were downloaded. after that its never been the same :p

When I had this problem recently on my 10.6.4 server, it was related to DNS. You may check if the DNS service on your server is running, and if so look at the bonjour tab there.

Is the machine responding when you try to access from server admin via IP address?

You've probably already done this but: from another machine, try pinging xserve.local and verify you're getting the correct IP address.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
When I had this problem recently on my 10.6.4 server, it was related to DNS. You may check if the DNS service on your server is running, and if so look at the bonjour tab there.

Is the machine responding when you try to access from server admin via IP address?

You've probably already done this but: from another machine, try pinging xserve.local and verify you're getting the correct IP address.
Thanks for the reply.
I just checked again from another system.
I can access it using Server Admin (again) and this time its using the actual IP instead of the xserve.local.
I checked and the DNS is not on and yes I can see the Bonjour tab option.
Ping came back with the right IP too.
Thanks again for replying :)

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Thanks for the reply.
I just checked again from another system.
I can access it using Server Admin (again) and this time its using the actual IP instead of the xserve.local.
I checked and the DNS is not on and yes I can see the Bonjour tab option.
Ping came back with the right IP too.
Thanks again for replying :)

Bonjour or .local address issues can be a headache to troubleshoot sometimes. Given that it's so unmanaged, many problems have no clear cause. Some companies use the .local domain for their internal system, sometimes causing conflict, but that's rare. Sometimes a simple reboot of the server can "fix" it.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
Bonjour or .local address issues can be a headache to troubleshoot sometimes. Given that it's so unmanaged, many problems have no clear cause. Some companies use the .local domain for their internal system, sometimes causing conflict, but that's rare. Sometimes a simple reboot of the server can "fix" it.
so true about the reboot.
Its working now. Im not going to update anything on that for awhile. I budgeted for a new xserve but not sure if we really need it. All it does is traffic a few users to 20 TB of (mix bag) of RAIDs :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
This thing is brutal!!
One day it works the next it doesnt.
How I can tell at times is I get this error on the XServe that there is no hard-drive space left on System drive.
Now its affecting the SMB side as well.
It still works on the AFP side but no matter how you try to connect to it using Server Admin, we get the missing server error.
Its not missing its there just cant use Server Admin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.