Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
How do you uninstall Wi-Fi Sync? If you download the Uninstaller for OSX file from getwifisync.com, it's in .exe format.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
If it's a Windoze app, same as every other app.

Control Panel/add-remove programs (or Programs and Features for Vista/Win 7)

Uninstall it from there.

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm running OSX, but when I click the link for the OSX uninstaller, it downloads a .exe file.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Download "CleanApp" for OSX, it'll help remove traces of the app so it's fully uninstalled, even when an app developer doesn't supply an uninstall.

Hope that helps.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
That's weird. When I click the uninstaller for Mac OS X, it downloads a .zip file containing a script that when opened, runs in Terminal to remove it.

yeah I get the same thing, just tried it... prolly cause it's not a standard "application" that's it's way of disassociating the links it made to the sync process. Looks like it kills it tho, so that's the point. :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm running OSX, but when I click the link for the OSX uninstaller, it downloads a .exe file.

An .exe is a Windows install file. Somehow you are getting the wrong platform installer (site has wrong installer link apparently).

Since you did not state in your initial post you had a Mac, one must assume since you are referencing uninstalling an .exe file. you are using Windows platform.

An I did answer the question exactly correct to un-install an .exe file. That is how I understood the question.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
He clearly states in the first post that he is on a Mac.

Yep, I agree, it was quite clear. I offered a solution for OSX (MAC) which he clearly stated in his post. Suggesting using windows to remedy a OSX issue is confusing to the people in this forum.

To be clear, he was using OSX, so the proper solution if the dev doesn't provide uninstall instructions is to use a tool like CleanApp, that helps remove traces of apps left behind.

Vidnez

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Just double click the uninstall. It's not an exe file, it's an script to remove Wi-Fi Sync.

Devecseri

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
I think im screwed here

Okay so, I tried the uninstall from the site, the script ran in terminal, and it asked me for the admin password, I click on the terminal window to put it in but it doesnt let me put anything in... so i try to run it again, and the terminal window just pops up blank.. I've tried re-downloading, rebooting multiple times, i tried cleanapp and appdelete or something, both couldnt see anything related to wi-fi sync... how the hell do I get rid of this?? I don't want it on my mac, I already have it on my PC, another messed up thing: whenever I had both instances of wi-fi sync running, it wouldnt work, but after i ran that script that didnt let me put in a password, it works on both... Help, im scared. haha

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I think im screwed here

Okay so, I tried the uninstall from the site, the script ran in terminal, and it asked me for the admin password, I click on the terminal window to put it in but it doesnt let me put anything in... so i try to run it again, and the terminal window just pops up blank.. I've tried re-downloading, rebooting multiple times, i tried cleanapp and appdelete or something, both couldnt see anything related to wi-fi sync... how the hell do I get rid of this?? I don't want it on my mac, I already have it on my PC, another messed up thing: whenever I had both instances of wi-fi sync running, it wouldnt work, but after i ran that script that didnt let me put in a password, it works on both... Help, im scared. haha

Just type your password into terminal and then hit enter.

Even though you don't see any characters in the terminal window, they're there...

xypher102

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
Just type your password into terminal and then hit enter.

Even though you don't see any characters in the terminal window, they're there...

Yes,he's right.just key in you password,hit enter and then reboot your mac.wifi sync will completely uninstalled after that

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
An .exe is a Windows install file. Somehow you are getting the wrong platform installer (site has wrong installer link apparently).

Since you did not state in your initial post you had a Mac, one must assume since you are referencing uninstalling an .exe file. you are using Windows platform.

An I did answer the question exactly correct to un-install an .exe file. That is how I understood the question.

Just for the records an .exe is a windows "executable" file, and installer would be .msi (miscrosoft system installer).

@op, OSX use self contains app folders (Similar to what you see on iOS), to uninstall you just move the folder to the trash. You can use app like CleanApp and CleanMyMac to take any other trace of the app, since some developer like to leave stuff outside the Application folder, in most cases trashing the App Folder will do the job.

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
Yes,he's right.just key in you password,hit enter and then reboot your mac.wifi sync will completely uninstalled after that

Thank you! I didn't realise wifi sync had to be uninstalled for the phone to restore properly. Honestly this app is a piece of ****, I will not be reinstalling it.

flycastro

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Im having trouble trying to uninstall Wi-Fi sync, i'm running OSX and it seems like the program isn't even there but it is. I see the icon on my top of the screen but nowhere else is it located to be able to uninstall the program, any ideas would help.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Im having trouble trying to uninstall Wi-Fi sync, i'm running OSX and it seems like the program isn't even there but it is. I see the icon on my top of the screen but nowhere else is it located to be able to uninstall the program, any ideas would help.

which version is it? did you look in your utilities folder? the latest version of the app is there...
(i think the earlier version was in hard drive>Library> Application Support>Wi-Fi Sync...i think).

try deleting that; make sure it's not in the "login items" in your account in system preferences.

log out, log back in (or restart)...

holy

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011

ok dude i just solve that proble..ok u already delete the folder of the wifisyc library/application support/wifi sync ?? you already deleted that folder ok then after that go to tour utilities at your application and select ativity monitor the you;ll find a wif sync in the very end just scrol it down then select it and then cleck quit then force it to quit .and your done dont forget to restart .the icon is already been removed

bendominguez

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
Fix for 2013

For anyone that tried to uninstall WiFi Sync but found that the uninstaller is no longer available, I think I've found a solution.

Find and delete this file:
/Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ghughes.wifisync.root.plist

Find and delete this folder:
/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Wi-Fi Sync

Let me know if this works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.