Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAVE2158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
new york
Well I don't know what I was thinking when I install a new 120G Maxtor drive last year I made that my startup drive. I installed Panther without installing classic now I need to use classic for so thing nothing major but still need it. Well the way it seems I can't install it on my startup drive.
but I still have my old drive installed as a slave just some folders on it.
The Question here is can I install OS 9 on this drive and how to I do this. should I use Disk Utility to Erase the drive and then how to I go about installing the OS.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for any help.....

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
DAVE2158 said:
Well I don't know what I was thinking when I install a new 120G Maxtor drive last year I made that my startup drive. I installed Panther without installing classic now I need to use classic for so thing nothing major but still need it. Well the way it seems I can't install it on my startup drive.
but I still have my old drive installed as a slave just some folders on it.
The Question here is can I install OS 9 on this drive and how to I do this. should I use Disk Utility to Erase the drive and then how to I go about installing the OS.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for any help.....

Two questions:

1) Can you boot OS 9 on this Mac?
2) Are OS 9 drivers installed on the panther drive and/or the spare drive??
If you can boot in OS 9, you need OS 9 drivers to install OS 9 and be able to boot from it. If you just want to run Classic under OS X, you don't need OS 9 drivers.
->in Disk Utility, check to see if the spare drive has OS 9 drivers installed.

I. If 1) and 2) are YES:
-> boot from OS 9 CD and install. I would put OS 9 on spare drive so you can boot from that to work on damaged panther drive when necessary.

II. If 1) is Yes and 2) is NO AND you want to boot into OS 9.
-> backup and erase spare drive and reformat including OS 9 drivers. Go to I.

III. If 1) is NO, you either need the original Software Restore CDs or you need access to another mac that has Classic/OS 9 installed.
->Use Software Restore to Install Classic. It will be installed on the panther drive. Either leave it there or drag/drop it to the spare drive and erase it from Panther drive.
->Connect OS 9 Mac to your mac by networking of FireWire target Disk mode and drag/drop Classic folder to where you want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.