Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Hoping somebody can help me...I'm having to type this msg on my Windows machine...

Got my iMac G5 ~1 mo ago and was trying to install Disk Warrior.

Edit/Update (based upon Mactastic's info, below): Long-story short:

Couldn't start-up from CD - rcvd an "unexpected error 2000" message. When I tried to quit, the iMac locked-up w/black screen.

Had to power-down using on/off switch.

Many thanks for the info re: DW not supporting the iMac G5...my questions have been modified (2 posts down).

Thx,
Frank
20" iMac G5, 10.3.6, 1 GB, AEBS, BT Keyboard & Mouse

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Check Alsoft's website, but I don't think the iMac G5 is supported yet. I had the same issue a year ago with my wife's G4 iBook when it first came out.

Hold the power button down for 10 seconds or so. That should kill the machine and allow you to restart normally.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the info re: iMac G5 support. When I purchased DW with my iMac at the Apple store, it would have been nice if they would have saved me the $100.

Anyway, I finally was able to shut-down. My msg was a bit panicked, so I'll update below:

1. Did I damage directories, etc. by pulling shutting-down in this fashion (hoping answer's no, since I was starting-up from the DW disc). How can I determine if there's any damage?

2. If so, how can I repair any damage (afterall, that's why I purchased DW...)?

3. Any suggestions re: what to do w/the DW disc? I plan on taking it back to the Apple store; however, I'm going to assume that since it's open-box they won't take it back (despite their recommending it to me). I'd wait for an update for the iMac; however, if I don't have the physical CD, how would I start-up from DW (if ever required)?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You will have to contact Alsoft and tell them about your problems... they will probably offer to send you an updated CD with 10.3.5 or 10.3.6 as the boot system (to support the iMac), but you might have to wait until they decide to update the version and run off a new batch of CDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.