Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 7, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
ZTuned
macrumors member

iPhone 4 keeps going into recovery mode and becomes a "brick"...

Well this is the third or fourth time it's happened with my iPhone 4. I reached for my iPhone to unlock it only to find that the screen won't turn on and the menu/power buttons are unresponsive. At this point, my iPhone 4 refuses to do anything -- it won't shut down or reboot, just a black screen. It won't turn on and it won't charge even when plugged into the wall charger. I can't even force to reset it by holding the power/home button.

When I plug it into my MBP, I need to launch iTunes manually and then I get this message:

If I get lucky, holding down the home and power button will turn on the phone if it's plugged into the laptop.

This time, I can't get it to turn on and the phone is basically bricked. I don't want to restore the phone as I'll lose a few apps.

Anyone experience this or have a solution?
ZTuned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:21 PM   #2
ichris14x
macrumors member

Isn't there way to unbrick? Like say, connect to iTunes, hold home and power, after, you release power and continue to hold home? Something like that, I bricked it once and I used a method similar to this one to unbrick. Hope it helps
ichris14x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:28 PM   #3
ZTuned
macrumors member

Got it to turn back on after plugging and unplugging the iPhone into the USB port on the MBP and holding the home + power key. I guess it was a stroke of luck that it worked once out of the 10+ times I tried.

I'm still curious why this keeps happening. I'm wondering if I should do a full restore and then transfer everything back.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
dockingbay94
macrumors regular

Perform a DFU restore on the iPhone. Open iTunes and plug it into the computer and hold the lock+home button down until it powers off. Continue holding for 8 seconds and then let go of the lock button and continue holding the home button until it appears in iTunes. The display on the iPhone should still be black at this point, if you have anything else on the display try again.

I would then recommend not restoring from your backup and instead setting up as a new iPhone incase you have corruption in your backup.
iPhone 5 32GB Black
dockingbay94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
dooger123
macrumors newbie

Download FirmwareUmbrella, the same program that you use to backup your SHSH blobs.

Open up the program, and then plug in your iPhone. On the top right corner, there should be a button that says- "kick device out of recovery"

viola. That should work. Same thing happened to me, and it worked like a charm.
dooger123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:00 PM   #6
ZTuned
macrumors member

Would like to avoid jailbreaking for now, though I'm curious of the root of the problem. Will most likely just do a clean restore if it happens again.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:49 AM   #7
imacdaddy
macrumors 6502a

i had this problem with my iPad. I even created a new user on my Mac and had it connect to iTunes to restore but to no avail. (Apparently this may work for many)

I had the iPad exchanged for a new one at the Apple Store.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone