Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
adomanico18
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay Area/Hamilton, ON
[SOLUTION] Bulging/Swelling Battery?

If anyone has a swelling battery in their macbook just pop it in the fridge for 8 hours on an empty charge and the swelling magically disappears!

Anyone else have success with this?
adomanico18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
twilightrose
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by adomanico18 View Post
If anyone has a swelling battery in their macbook just pop it in the fridge for 8 hours on an empty charge and the swelling magically disappears!

Anyone else have success with this?
This sounds rather dangerous...for any laptop, more-so on a laptop that has a glass screen...
twilightrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
sth
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The old world
Bulging/swelling lithium-ion batteries are dangerous and, as far as I know, Apple will replace them free of charge.
__________________
Survived "Waiting for Arrandale" ^^
sth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4
twilightrose
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sth View Post
Bulging/swelling lithium-ion batteries are dangerous and, as far as I know, Apple will replace them free of charge.
I ment putting it in the freezer but yes the swelling is dangerous as well
twilightrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:19 AM   #5
adomanico18
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay Area/Hamilton, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by sth View Post
Bulging/swelling lithium-ion batteries are dangerous and, as far as I know, Apple will replace them free of charge.
The posts I've been reading have stated that apple won't replace bulging batteries that are out of warranty.
adomanico18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:35 AM   #6
TZRaceR6
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by adomanico18 View Post
The posts I've been reading have stated that apple won't replace bulging batteries that are out of warranty.
If under 3 years of buying your computer, you shouldn't have an issue. After 3 years, the Apple store may balk, but you never know. Could run into a nice employee that hooks you up?!?
TZRaceR6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Stinkysteve
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
It's always worth giving Apple a friendly call, after all it is a safety and health issue.
__________________
MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz
Stinkysteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 03:09 PM   #8
diablo2112
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
This isn't a solution. You're curing the symptom, not the disease. What you suggest is dangerous, potentially very so. Li-polymer and Li-ion batteries are complex chemical cells. If the voltage is allowed to go too-low, the cells break down and give off hydrogen gas. This is the swelling in the battery. Putting it in the freezer, you're just reducing the volume (and allowing for some adsorption) of the hydrogen. It's still there. If you were to use this battery, the hydrogen can potentially ignite, starting a fire.

Once a battery swells, it needs to be properly disposed. Treat it as an ignition source, and don't let it near flammable items.
diablo2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
No1nfoProvided
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
This isn't a solution. You're curing the symptom, not the disease. What you suggest is dangerous, potentially very so. Li-polymer and Li-ion batteries are complex chemical cells. If the voltage is allowed to go too-low, the cells break down and give off hydrogen gas. This is the swelling in the battery. Putting it in the freezer, you're just reducing the volume (and allowing for some adsorption) of the hydrogen. It's still there. If you were to use this battery, the hydrogen can potentially ignite, starting a fire.

Once a battery swells, it needs to be properly disposed. Treat it as an ignition source, and don't let it near flammable items.
Not to mention putting the battery in the freezer could cause some moisture buildup that you may miss when you wipe it down after. If anyone tries this, be sure to just leave the battery out for a couple hours to use it to let everything evaporate.
No1nfoProvided is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2010 swelling battery htorresphotog MacBook Pro 4 Apr 22, 2014 06:04 AM
My battery is possibly swelling, could it be time for a new one? DubLogic19 MacBook Pro 9 Sep 22, 2013 01:11 PM
2010 MacBook Battery Swelling Damage JackieInCo MacBook 7 Jul 28, 2013 02:23 PM
Battery bulging/swelling issue mpb2000 MacBook 5 Jan 17, 2013 05:11 PM
Removable battery shuts down randomly + bulging? JosephBergdoll MacBook Pro 3 Dec 24, 2012 01:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC