Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
adomanico18
macrumors member

[SOLUTION] Bulging/Swelling Battery?

If anyone has a swelling battery in their macbook just pop it in the fridge for 8 hours on an empty charge and the swelling magically disappears!

Anyone else have success with this?
adomanico18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
twilightrose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adomanico18 View Post
If anyone has a swelling battery in their macbook just pop it in the fridge for 8 hours on an empty charge and the swelling magically disappears!

Anyone else have success with this?
This sounds rather dangerous...for any laptop, more-so on a laptop that has a glass screen...
twilightrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
sth
macrumors 6502a

Bulging/swelling lithium-ion batteries are dangerous and, as far as I know, Apple will replace them free of charge.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4
twilightrose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth View Post
Bulging/swelling lithium-ion batteries are dangerous and, as far as I know, Apple will replace them free of charge.
I ment putting it in the freezer but yes the swelling is dangerous as well
twilightrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:19 AM   #5
adomanico18
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth View Post
The posts I've been reading have stated that apple won't replace bulging batteries that are out of warranty.
adomanico18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:35 AM   #6
TZRaceR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adomanico18 View Post
The posts I've been reading have stated that apple won't replace bulging batteries that are out of warranty.
If under 3 years of buying your computer, you shouldn't have an issue. After 3 years, the Apple store may balk, but you never know. Could run into a nice employee that hooks you up?!?
TZRaceR6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Stinkysteve
macrumors member

It's always worth giving Apple a friendly call, after all it is a safety and health issue.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 03:09 PM   #8
diablo2112
macrumors 6502

This isn't a solution. You're curing the symptom, not the disease. What you suggest is dangerous, potentially very so. Li-polymer and Li-ion batteries are complex chemical cells. If the voltage is allowed to go too-low, the cells break down and give off hydrogen gas. This is the swelling in the battery. Putting it in the freezer, you're just reducing the volume (and allowing for some adsorption) of the hydrogen. It's still there. If you were to use this battery, the hydrogen can potentially ignite, starting a fire.

Once a battery swells, it needs to be properly disposed. Treat it as an ignition source, and don't let it near flammable items.
diablo2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
No1nfoProvided
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
This isn't a solution. You're curing the symptom, not the disease. What you suggest is dangerous, potentially very so. Li-polymer and Li-ion batteries are complex chemical cells. If the voltage is allowed to go too-low, the cells break down and give off hydrogen gas. This is the swelling in the battery. Putting it in the freezer, you're just reducing the volume (and allowing for some adsorption) of the hydrogen. It's still there. If you were to use this battery, the hydrogen can potentially ignite, starting a fire.

Once a battery swells, it needs to be properly disposed. Treat it as an ignition source, and don't let it near flammable items.
Not to mention putting the battery in the freezer could cause some moisture buildup that you may miss when you wipe it down after. If anyone tries this, be sure to just leave the battery out for a couple hours to use it to let everything evaporate.
No1nfoProvided is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro