Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:50 AM   #1
DaSal
macrumors regular

Best apple in-ear headphones alternative? (With remote/mic)

So I've been looking for headphones that also include a remote and mic, like the Apple in-ears do... but it's proving to be a little difficult. The only one I've found so far are the Dr.Dre headphones, but they're a little out of my price range. I'm looking for headphones that are around the same price as the apple in-ear ones, with the remote and mic, but with better sound/fit. I'm asking because many of the reviews say that the apple in-ears have poor sound and are uncomfortable... which... doesn't seem like a good thing.

So does anybody have any recommendations for me?
DaSal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:55 AM   #2
ref26
macrumors 6502a

I really like my Zagg Smartbuds. They're $80 but there are always 40-50% off coes floating around, I paid $40 for mine.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3
bilbo--baggins
macrumors 6502a

I have the Etymotic hf2 which I'm very pleased with. The manufacturers claim they're the 'best sound quality available for the iPhone'.

One thing I really like is the seal they get when fitted in the ear - it blocks out outside noise (not ideal if you need to watch out for traffic) - really nice on aeroplanes as it blocks out a lot of the background aircraft noise that I find quite fatiguing. I even wear them to mow the lawn - you can have music or podcasts playing at low volume and still hear them fine, you don't have to compete with external noise. They've also got a nice small connector (was necessary for the original iPhone) so should be fine with all cases.

The downside is they're a little uncomfortable to keep inserting/removing because they form this good seal, so a little awkward to keep having to remove them when people talk to you etc. Also, the best things in life often come at a price, and they retail at $179, though they're available from places like Amazon and Play much cheaper, eg. 69 in the UK.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.aspx

Last edited by bilbo--baggins; Aug 8, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
bilbo--baggins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
cherrybomb
macrumors regular

I purchased the Nuforce NE-7M. These paired with some Comply foam tips have served me well. I've been through so many headphones/earphones with my iPhone 3G, I finally feel that I've got something I can possibly stick with. They cancel out about 85% of the noise surrounding you too which is always a bonus! They however don't have volume control, just a mic and track controls. The clarity of voices when using as a mobile headset is great, never had a problem from either end when making/taking calls. As far as music goes, it's the perfect solution for me, I like bass and it gets right down there without distortion. The mids still sound crisp and the highs are evenly matched.

Quite a few people over at www.headfi.org swear by these earphones, and they're well over 2 years old!

Check the site if you have time. I hope this has helped you in your quest, I know it can be difficult in finding the right one for you.

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/ne7m/index.php
Old Aug 9, 2010, 07:26 AM   #5
dizzle23x
macrumors newbie

try these guys

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Earbud-...p_ob_e_title_0
dizzle23x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:29 AM   #6
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
I love my Klipsch s4i. Most comfortable IEMs ever.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:40 AM   #7
pikkashoe
macrumors regular

I am in the same boat as everyone here. I can't stand the apple earphones because I cant get them to stay in my ears.

At first it seemed most people recommend the klipsch s4i's, but then the more you research the more options you come across. And the reviews seem to be all over the place.

Each set seems to have their pros and cons. Im leaning towards the klipsch though at this time.
pikkashoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:41 AM   #8
3goldens
macrumors 68000

hands down the very best!

Etymotic hf2
3goldens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Tyre
macrumors regular

I have these Bose in ear head phones (with mic.) They are very clear and super comfortable.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...tion/index.jsp
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:37 PM   #10
nelly41
macrumors regular

I have the skullcandy 50/50. It's also $50 lol. A lot cheaper than beats by dr dre. I like it. Loud, clear, and functional like the old apple earphones.
nelly41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Chetoc230
macrumors member

been using the Scosche Increased Dynamic Range Chameleon Earphones, IDR355MD.

got them for 26 bucks at walmart and they work great.
Chetoc230 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:05 PM   #12
spencers
macrumors 68020

Sennheiser/Adidas pdx 680i

Great for running, too!!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:17 PM   #13
sparrky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
Ditto. I love my s4i's, they're amazing. They also fit perfectly with the Apple Bumper.
sparrky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:58 PM   #14
holbrookjl
macrumors newbie

Skullcandy Full Metal Jackets (the ones with the square-ish mic - the older rounded style do not work with the I4). love these headphones. great sound, almost as good as my old Shure in ear headphones.
holbrookjl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:58 PM   #15
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
I purchased the Nuforce NE-7M. These paired with some Comply foam tips have served me well. I've been through so many headphones/earphones with my iPhone 3G, I finally feel that I've got something I can possibly stick with. They cancel out about 85% of the noise surrounding you too which is always a bonus! They however don't have volume control, just a mic and track controls. The clarity of voices when using as a mobile headset is great, never had a problem from either end when making/taking calls. As far as music goes, it's the perfect solution for me, I like bass and it gets right down there without distortion. The mids still sound crisp and the highs are evenly matched.

Quite a few people over at www.headfi.org swear by these earphones, and they're well over 2 years old!

Check the site if you have time. I hope this has helped you in your quest, I know it can be difficult in finding the right one for you.

I can vouch for them too! I have the same pair and they are excellent for sound and price.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 07:26 PM   #16
gecis
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
I can vouch for them too! I have the same pair and they are excellent for sound and price.
count me in
gecis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:04 PM   #17
circularforward
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
I like my s4i too. And yes, they are comfortable, though the Klipsch x10i are supposed to be even more so.
circularforward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:58 PM   #18
richard371
macrumors 65816

The vmoda remix with mic and Kevlar cable for 100 are awesome but do not take my word for it. Read the reviews.
richard371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:59 PM   #19
GaresTaylan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb;

This. I LOVE my nuforce earbuds.
GaresTaylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories