Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
For Some weird reason I'm getting some pop ups sometime on safari, wondering whats happening? I have pop ups blocked

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Not every pop-up is blocked. There are many different ways of brining up pop-up windows. Some even invoke a similar function to bring up a window. Just know that you'll block at least 80% of windows, the other 20 is by coding, lots and lots of coding.

fuzzai

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2004
Canada
I believe if you use firefox. it does not allow another window to open unless you have asked for it.

I use firefox at home and have never had a pop up open while using it.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
weird, I have never had a pop up on safari, until yesterday and today, i have had 3

someone out there must have found a way around it... lets hope a security update is on the way.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ive actually never had a pop up with safari, and i didnt get one on that site either, so i dont know....maybe you could trash your prefs and see if that is the cause of the problem

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've gotten one (mind you, just the one) pop-up on MacOSRumors (yeah, I know, notoriously unreliable - I enjoy reading it despite that). I wonder if Shiira (my current default browser) and Safari share the same pop-up blocker because it's implemented in WebKit, which both browsers use.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I got one yesterday as well and was surprised. I have not received on pop-up in a year and a half of using Safari - period.

Is this a 10.3.8 bug? :confused:

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
For the popup starting to coming up you can blame firefox popularity. It has gotten enough market share to make it a large enough target to start figure out to get around and so pop-ups are going to start hiting the non IE browser now

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Peterkro said:
Didn't for me don't know why.
re JSW
I know why: I'm an idiot. I was connecting to another Mac (⌘-K) but had Safari on top instead of the Finder. Result: pop-up blocking turned off. :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jsw said:
I know why: I'm an idiot. I was connecting to another Mac (⌘-K) but had Safari on top instead of the Finder. Result: pop-up blocking turned off. :eek:

Early on with Safari (well, early on for me...aka January 2004!), I used to turn it off for specific requested pop-ups that were incorrectly handled (and most of which work correctly with subsequent updates), and I used to keep forgetting to turn it on again. :) Happens to all of us. ;)

I do however like the way Firefox deals with this, since it has the relatively easy-to-get-at option to force even requested pop-ups into tabs.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I never get pop ups either. I tried all those sites and ways and nothing but the main web page. I have not done the latest security update- would that have anything to do with it? would be ironic wouldn't it.

Now that I wrote this I will probalby start getting pop ups- on my PC at school :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.