Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
So i just finished starcraft 2, and i kinda need something refreshing

Im into games with great story, im not into racing games, but rpg, fps, strategy gams is all good.

on the top of my head, ive played these games

splinter cell conviction
torchlight
diablo 1 + 2
starcraft 1 + 2
mafia
modern warfare
battlefield bad company 1 + 2
wow
warcraft 3 + tft
Age of empires 3
dragon age
just cause
gta iv

Im kinda interessted in trying Civ 4, do i have time to enjoy the game before 5 comes out? I heard its alot to take in.

i also heard good things about singularity and metro 2033

would be glad for some tips

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If you are into games that have great story, are you open to trying adventure games? The Myst series is great, especially Riven. Also, Machinarium, which is coincidentally $5 right now. If you are into horror, the penumbra series is pretty decent.

Some FPSs with good story/atmosphere: Half-Life 2, STALKER (Metro 2033 looks like it has a similar feel), Deus Ex (an oldie but it's awesome, and it will prepare you for Deus Ex: Human Revolution next year.) For an RPG, I recommend The Witcher. The setting and main character is based on some polish fantasy novels, so they are more unique than most RPGs. Mass Effect has a decent, if somewhat clichéd, SF setting and story.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
damn! good suggestion people

i remember playing dreamfall i think its called, i love that, so im going to try myst, and i totally forgot about risen, it looks awesome. thanks again!

Cant buy to many games at once, i like to concentrate on one or two games at a time, so myst and risen :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
To play Riven in OS X, you'll need to go here. It's a "development version" at the moment but it works very well. It's just missing a graphical effect and zip mode.

Myst is a bit trickier. RealMyst works in OS X, but it's hard to find, at least at a decent price. Alternatively you could just play it on the iPhone--I've done it, and the touch controls are actually quite nice. It's only $5, too.

I've heard really good things about Dreamfall and The Longest Journey. Definitely want to try them sometime.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
--Half-Life 1 and 2 for sure. Play HL 1 first tho, gives you a good idea about HL 2.

--I heard Portal is good.

--Oblivion (PS3, 360, or PC)

--Can't go wrong with UT 2k3, set the bot's skill level at hard and put about 15 on each team.

I loved SC 1, but my computer wont play SC 2. Someday I will have a new mac :rolleyes:

HLW

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
Do you like tower defence games? Defense Grid is available for Mac now, best TD game I've played.

masterofbuckets

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
Max Payne
Max Payne 2 : The Fall of Max Payne

It doesn't get better than the above :cool:

If you haven't played the series yet, I highly recommend you do. In my top 3 PC games of all time easily.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Try Civ IV. It's a fantastic game in my opinon. You can absolutely enjoy it before Civ V comes out, in fact, I would even venture to say you might let Civ V go by for awhile and enjoy Civ IV (plus the expansions).

It took me about a week of playing to get a basic idea of what to do but each leader/civilization is different in how to approach the game. This leaves a huge amount of room to grow with the game.

I've also heard World In Conflict is really good.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Are you anticipating SWTOR?

The SW KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic) single player RPG is supposed to have a great following. You may think that "movie games" are bleh....which usually are, but this series of 2 RPG games are really good. Excelent story with a Star Wars jedi background and memorable characters. You get to guide the story to some degree too. Good replayable value too. SWTOR is almost like KOTOR 3 in principle.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I second Oblivion and Half Life Series (but HL should be available on under Mac Steam), Witcher, Crysis, Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines (PC Steam), Total War Series.

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
FarCry 2 is a 'diamond in the rough'(if you play the game, you'll get the pun)

It has amazing graphics, and when it came out it was used for benchmarking pc's. I played the PS3 version myself, but it still looked amazing.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
For games that have great stories.

Bulder's gate 1.
Star Wars: Knight of the old republic 1.
Morrowind ( not oblivion )
Warcraft 3
Age of Mythology: Titans ( i only played the expansion, thought the story was fun )
Warhammer: DOW1 ( not the expansion, the campain of the original game. For multiplayer the expansions are amazing though :D )
COD4 ( short game, but great campaign )
Crysis 1 ( I'm one of the few who thought the story and campaign was amazing and can't wait for crysis 2 for the story to continue :p )
Half life 2 ( one of the most amazing FPS campains ever made. The graphics still look good for such an old game )

edit: If you're a fan of Tony Montana, Scarface is really a fun story, much better than GTA. It's basically a what if Tony Montana didn't die at the end of the movie, what would happen :)

Scarface > GTA.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Max Payne
Max Payne 2 : The Fall of Max Payne

If you haven't played the series yet, I highly recommend you do.

Just don't watch the movie...

In terms of other games, Mafia 2 is coming out soon, I'm looking forward to that. Civ V also drops soon, and will be great. the HL series is always excellent, and Portal is/was awesome. If you're into RPG, the Mass Effect series is great as well. Fallout 3 is a must-play, as is Oblivion. I'm still waiting to play Metro 2033.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Get the Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion... Best story ever... This game will last you way more than 200 hours..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Crysis 1 ( I'm one of the few who thought the story and campaign was amazing and can't wait for crysis 2 for the story to continue :p )
Yus! It's a truly brilliant game, I mean the story is along the lines of any Roland Emmerich film but it's still enjoyable. I loved how it all folded out too and how you can basically do anything you want to take enemies out.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The Fallout series are the games with far best stories ever!
The games can be played so many different ways, having high intellect and carma to talk you thru most quests and tasks, or beeing dumb and blast thru everything!

The game has tons of different endings based on what you do thru the game.

I haven't played Fallout 3, but I just replayed both Fallout 1 and 2 this year (I played them when they got out around year 2000 for the first time on my beige G3).

Fallout 1 and 2 are 2D with isometric views, but it's all about the story line.

Every town you come to has different quests and factions and you can basically side with anyone.

I haven't gotten around to play Fallout 3, but I guess I will buy it when I have time to play again.

Also Deus Ex is a great game (you have to play in in win tho, the mac version only runs on OS9, but if you have an PowerMac G4 or similar you can play it).

If you liked Dragon Age then Neverwinter Nights, Gothic Series and Avencast could be good games to pick up.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Wow guys some excellent titles

i should really play max payne 1&2, i heard they are great,

im very excited about the star wars mmo aswell, just hope they deliver story wice, i have finished the RPG game though.

also i bought CIV 4 on steam, i just spent hours on just the tutorial, its my kinda game, i can tell that. Going to sink a hell of alot hours into that.

Fallout was meh for me, i like scripted stories for the most parts, not so much free roam.

defense grid is epic, but already played it, great game though.

mark28, thanks for the scarface recommendation, i don't like the gta series, so maybe it will be better for me.

and thanks for all the other recommendations, my wallet is going to hurt, cant believe i missed so many gems.

AND YEs, mafia 2, mafia 1 is one of my all time favorites, played the demo today, cant wait.

and i agree that fallout 1&2 were great, just a shame fallout 3 didnt sit with me. also neverwinter nights was awesome, havnt tried all of the expansions though.

sorry for all the rabling

masterofbuckets

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
Just don't watch the movie...

Oh god no !! :eek:

OP, I strongly suggest you don't see any bits of the gameplay/trailers/reviews/videos of the game and the movie I might add. Just buy the game, install, start playing and enjoy.

I recently played through the first one. Still awesome as ever :cool:

Amount of hard work and passion put into it by Remedy, who were a small studio/company at the time, is for everyone to see. If you look at the credits closely, each person has multiple responsibilities. No wonder it took them 5 years to finish and polish it.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
For tons of depth and story you can't go wrong with the old bioware games:

Baldurs Gate II
Neverwinter Nights 1
Knights of the Old Republic
(these are all available on OSX)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Get the Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion... Best story ever... This game will last you way more than 200 hours..

Yep, it's a gem.

I haven't gotten around to play Fallout 3, but I guess I will buy it when I have time to play again.

I loved Oblivion and did not care for Fallout 3. I'm not sure why. My guess is that I did not like Bethesda's implementation of an apocalyptic world, very muddy looking on my hardware? Very similar dialog feel as in Oblivion (been there done that)?

For apocalyptic gameplay, although I don't think that anything apocalyptic happened in its environment (don't remember a catastrophe being described, it's just a wasteland full of junk) I'd recommend Borderlands over F3.

AoxomoxoA

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.