Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
New thread to discuss, review, post pics. Try to stay on topic and objective so it doesent get shut down.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Damn, I was wondering what happened after all that excitement. Has anyone received theirs yet? If so, what do you think? Please post pics?

Irrational

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The case is basically crap. It has huge design flaws like the sim card slot and supposely blocks GPS and wireless signal.

I wouldn't pay more than $30 bucks for it.

barachus

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
i cant believe they closed the complaining thread, so where do people go for the daily whinge about EC?

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
The case is basically crap. It has huge design flaws like the sim card slot and supposely blocks GPS and wireless signal.

Wow! If you look through the other thread it's a mixed bag, some have had problems some not.

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC

Please don't post comments like this unless you actually have the case. This is what plagued the other thread.

Everything you posted is speculation and is yet to be proven.

If someone has the case please post a legitimate review that we can discuss.

Irrational

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Wow! If you look through the other thread it's a mixed bag, some have had problems some not.

They said if the metal touches the antenna.. it would cause issues. The only thing preventing it is like 4 bits of foam. Seriously... i think I could have made a better case in my basement.

fadethreeblack

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
At first, I had no clue why they exposed the sim card slot. But the reason that another poster gave in the original thread about moving the sim card between the iPhone and iPad makes sense (though I dont have an iPad,so it's useless for me).

the case looks beautiful. The top headset jack opening is probably elongated because of different headset jacks that might rub against the case (since the case comes out a lot more from the original iPhone dimensions).

Last thing I'm waiting for is the news about GPS/Maps/Reception Testing. I pre-registered around July 20th, so I'll have ample time to read about the testing before I have to place an order. I have to say though, SGP Carbon Fiber w/ Ultra Crystal Clear looks good with the Vapor!

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They said if the metal touches the antenna.. it would cause issues. The only thing preventing it is like 4 bits of foam. Seriously... i think I could have made a better case in my basement.

What is the purpose of your continued negativity here, including accusing Mr Greenberg of being biased? I have not ordered yet and probably will not because I have what I believe to be justifiable concerns about signal impairment.

But to harp on the same point like a mantra is not conducive to having a productive discussion.

appview

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
United Kingdom
I so think the case looks quite nice when it is on however one thing I definitely don't like is how deep the bottom piece is. It means the majority of dock connectors won't fit into the phone with the case on which is a big pain.

Irrational

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The sim card slot will just collect durt and for the 99% of us who would never use it, its stupid. Also the headjack slot looks very retarded.

I thought this was the coolest case when I saw the renders... but it seriously fell short.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Sim card slot is a bad idea, very very few people need or would actually use one. It just further proves what a terrible company Element Case is since they modified the design of the case after people had already bought it based on the renders (thats why they shouldn't take preorders or charge people until the final version is out, working, and completed).

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
-1 for that

The sim card slot will just collect durt and for the 99% of us who would never use it, its stupid. Also the headjack slot looks very retarded.

I thought this was the coolest case when I saw the renders... but it seriously fell short.

That is your personal opinion. There are people who look on the case form another, not so negative perspective, looking on ElementCase and judging them from their other products. They are reading this here and hopefully they'll do something about the carbon fiber piece, as they said in the new FAQ.
I too was surprised by the microSIM cutout and the larger cutout for the headphones. I haven't considered about the dirt and it's nice that you mentioned it cause I might not gave that any thought. ABout the headphones cutout, maybe it's bigger for more models of headphones, maybe it's because of the second mic or maybe it's because of weight but as someone mentioned, this case is light, it's aluminuim...
I still love it and I still wanna give it a try after all we went through.
Oh, yeah, I was surprised by the ElementCase logo but I think I can live with it. The Vapor4 logo is just adding more to the case if you ask me BUT in a good way. For me, it's like deleting the Apple logo from the iPhone or even the " iPhone" writing on the lower part of the phone itself.
I personally like the the black vs. the silver case more. You just can't argue about personal taste...

zornet

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
SoCal
At first, I had no clue why they exposed the sim card slot. But the reason that another poster gave in the original thread about moving the sim card between the iPhone and iPad makes sense (though I dont have an iPad,so it's useless for me)...

It seems that EC could have this as an option, with or w/o exposing the sim card slot. As I noted on the locked thread it's useful for a few but not all. Option's would-be a good thing.

fadethreeblack

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
It seems that EC could have this as an option, with or w/o exposing the sim card slot. As I noted on the locked thread it's useful for a few but not all. Option's would-be a good thing.

I agree thatd be ideal, but is unlikely bc it'd complicate their building process even more i think.

Maybe I'd get it anyway incase I get an iPad.

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
-1 for that

Do you have the case? You sure do know a lot for only having 2-3 reviews posted.

Jackson743

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
A lot of people seem to have taken a product they don't like personally. If you bought one and don't like it, that is one thing, But, if you don't have it, don't order or cancel your pre-order and move on. Personally, I don't like 99% of the accessories for the iphone. It's annoying attempting to wade through a couple thousand posts to find any useful information.

Depending on what Larry Greenberg and other reviewers, those that actually own the case, say about the reception, I'm going to consider buying the silver and blue one (when available).

Instead of the carbon fiber skin cover, does anyone know of a simple royal blue clear cover for the back? I know I saw it somewhere in this forum, but I can't find it.

kb0616

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
USA
A lot of people seem to have taken a product they don't like personally. If you bought one and don't like it, that is one thing, But, if you don't have it, don't order or cancel your pre-order and move on. Personally, I don't like 99% of the accessories for the iphone. It's annoying attempting to wade through a couple thousand posts to find any useful information.

Depending on what Larry Greenberg and other reviewers, those that actually own the case, say about the reception, I'm going to consider buying the silver and blue one (when available).

Instead of the carbon fiber skin cover, does anyone know of a simple royal blue clear cover for the back? I know I saw it somewhere in this forum, but I can't find it.

You might try Luxury Case. :)

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008

I agree. This is the closest I know: http://phantomskinz.com/appleiphone4chromatics.aspx

...but it won't match well. I'm not sure about other places quite yet. You can always get Gela Skins and customize the back with the color you want. :)

Also, Element Case did say that other color options for the back would be available some time later this month.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
And some other back plates by ElementCase are coming soon aswell :)
Maybe they learned their lesson and they'll surprise us.

White/Rhino

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
So, this is where you guys went. I guess this topic is hard to kill.
Doesn't look like you're off to a great start. How about we all keep our cool and remain positive this time around. I promise to try and do my best. Any word from Mr Greenburg and his continued use of the vapor 4? I want to know if I should kill it or keep it. I really do love the looks.

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Someone mentioned in the last thread that element told him that pre-orders could start ordering early next week and that there will be a gun metal version available when we order. Can anyone confirm? No way I'm getting silver/black now that there is a gun metal version available when I order.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Someone mentioned in the last thread that element told him that pre-orders could start ordering early next week and that there will be a gun metal version available when we order. Can anyone confirm? No way I'm getting silver/black now that there is a gun metal version available when I order.

Yep. Definitely a gun metal color. In fact, you can see it at iLounge.

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Yep. Definitely a gun metal color. In fact, you can see it at iLounge.
Yeah I saw the ilounge pictures a while ago, I knew it existed, but I didn't know we would be able to order it when the pre-orders start ordering. I had a gun metal slider on my 3GS, and it was my favorite color/case combo out of everything else. This combo is looking to become my fav yet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.