Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

towelette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Hello experts out there!

I am planning to subscribe to cable broadband here in UK, and the broadband company told me that as I am a mac user, I need a Network Interface Card for me to get connected.

HELP!

1. What is a network interface card?
2. Do I have a network interface card? Don't think so. I am currently using a 1.5gig G4 powerbook.
3. Where can I get one? is it better for me to get one? or will it come with a router? (coz I am planning to get a router so I can share my internet connection with my flatemates)

Please help! I am totally clueless!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
A network interface card is an ethernet card. And you already have one. The ethernet port looks like a phone jack except it's wider, and it should be on the back of the computer. Routers do not usually come with them, and if they did, they would usually be PC NIC's...

If you want a wireless connection between the ADSL modem or the cable broadband modem or the broadband wireless modem or whatever it is that gets the signal from the service provider, then you'll need a wireless router (such as an airport express or another 802.11b or 802.11g wireless router) and a wireless card for the PM (Airport Extreme).

But otherwise, you will just connect the computer to the broadband modem by an ethernet cable, which will go into that ethernet port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.