Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheInformer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I teach dance classes (swing, line, latin, ballroom), and when I start the song on my iPhone 4 or iPod Touch I only want to play that one song and no others. I realize this can be done by setting up a playlist with only one song in it, but I'd rather have an app that would do the job for me. Any one have any suggestions? TIA...

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Tap the cover art to bring down the scrubbing bar and make the arrow thingy (
S00_repeat_icon-black.png
) look like this
S00_repeat_one_icon.png

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Married couple at dinner on a cruise ship...

Mrs:
"Hey big fella, why don't you take me out on the dance floor and show me some of those moves you've been learning from The Informer?!"

Mr.
"Sorry honey, they're not playing THE song. I have no idea how to dance to this music."

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I suggest the Dropbox app. First, go get a free online account at Dropbox.com. Then, get the free app and log in. Then, upload the songs to the website from your computer. Then you can open them using the Dropbox app on your phone.

When it's done playing, the song will simply stop.

(It also plays the audio in the background if you're running iOS 4.)

Moe UK

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
London
Easiest thing to do is do a search for the song and play it from within the search and that will play only that one and just the once.

TheInformer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I appreciate all of the answers so far.

To clarify, I'm looking for an app that will allow me to choose one song, that I have loaded on the iPhone or iPod Touch, and play it. Once.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Is it the only song by the artist or on the album? If it is, just go to the song via the artists or album tab and not in the songs list. Once it's done playing no more will be played since it's the only one on the list.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I see. Well, the only other option I can think of would be to use a playlist or play the song from a file storage app.

Yep, but the OP said he doesn't want to use playlists and...

I teach dance classes (swing, line, latin, ballroom), and when I start the song on my iPhone 4 or iPod Touch I only want to play that one song and no others. I realize this can be done by setting up a playlist with only one song in it, but I'd rather have an app that would do the job for me. Any one have any suggestions? TIA...

Thsi guy suggested a file storage app too...

I suggest the Dropbox app. First, go get a free online account at Dropbox.com. Then, get the free app and log in. Then, upload the songs to the website from your computer. Then you can open them using the Dropbox app on your phone.

When it's done playing, the song will simply stop.

(It also plays the audio in the background if you're running iOS 4.)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
OP, to answer your question...

A brief solution would be email yourself the song and play the song from your mailbox in class and it will only play one time without the hassle of constantly coordinating playlists.

Simply email todays song to yourself and you can access just as easy as an iPod song.

Otherwise I dont think it can be done to only play one song.

TheInformer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Cuz that would make sense... duh... ;)

A single song playlist would make sense, except I don't know what song or songs that will be requested by my students for a particular lesson.

On a PC, I bring up Windows Explorer, navigate to the MP3 directories, double click on a file, and it plays in Winamp. Once. When it is done, the playing stops and I don't have to run back to the machine to stop it from playing.

I don't understand why there is no option or no app on the iPod Touch/iPhone to do the same thing.

Btw, I do appreciate everyone's time in posting their solutions.

Moe UK

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
London
I appreciate all of the answers so far.

To clarify, I'm looking for an app that will allow me to choose one song, that I have loaded on the iPhone or iPod Touch, and play it. Once.

I don't really think there is a market for many people wanting a app that plays just one song so you mat struggle there unless you want to store on a email or file store app, then you might as well just make a playlist with one song.

I just tried that and it didn't work. It just went on to the next song in the album and started playing that.

My bad I tested it with a CD Single so there was only one song from that album on my phone.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
A single song playlist would make sense, except I don't know what song or songs that will be requested by my students for a particular lesson.

On a PC, I bring up Windows Explorer, navigate to the MP3 directories, double click on a file, and it plays in Winamp. Once. When it is done, the playing stops and I don't have to run back to the machine to stop it from playing.

I don't understand why there is no option or no app on the iPod Touch/iPhone to do the same thing.

Btw, I do appreciate everyone's time in posting their solutions.

You should be able to make a quick playlist on your phone. It would only take seconds.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.

Ah, ok. This makes more sense.

Only thing I can think of is creating an on the fly playlist from the iPhone once you know what song they want to be played... has potential to be a hassle though! :D

Edit:Beat me to it.

TheInformer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I tried searching for a song, 'Dinah' by the Rhythm All Stars. I only have one copy of it on my Touch, and that's what showed up in the search results.

The header for that section of the search results was 'Song', not 'Album'.

I tapped the song and it played.

When it was over, the Touch started playing the next song on the album.

TheInformer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I guess I could do that, but I was really hoping for an app that would play only one song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.