Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Hello.

For work I have to look for VJ or video presentation software made for Windows.

The setup is the following:

Someone has several video files (whatever format, but they probably end up in SD resolution and using a DV codec), which are due to be projected onto a wall on a stage. A normal video player would suffice, but that would remove the element of previewing.
Edit: Just got another bit of information, it would be nice, if that software could also play .jpeg files.

Does anyone know of a software, tat is able to output the main video onto an external display (projector) from a laptop, and have the laptop's screen for preview and browsing purposes?

Traktor is a software I would like, I saw it in action, but it is not meant for video.
Or does anyone know of a good DJ board, where I could ask the same question?

Btw, I have looked into Resolume Avenue 3.3.0 and found it barely usable for that purpose.
GrandVJ was also really buggy, as it crashed three times within five minutes, it was the latest demo version.

Could PowerPoint or even Irfanview candidates?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Using Activity Monitor to show you CPU and RAM usage

Activity Monitor can be found in Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / (in Finder press CMD+SHIFT+U) or via Spotlight (CMD+SPACE):
2012_03_04_pA1_ActMonOPEN.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

Activity Monitor gives you the option to show only your user account's processes (My Processes) and all user account's processes (All Processes) and a variety of other selections.
Applications are just processes too, thus a troublesome application will show up too.
For troubleshooting purposes it is advised to have All Processes visible.
2012_03_04_pA2_ActMonPROCESSES.png

Activity Monitor gives you the option to sort processes by CPU usage via the CPU% column.
Click on that column, until the arrow points down (
2012_03_04_pA3_ActMonArrowDown.png
)
to see the CPU hungry processes on top.
2012_03_04_pA6_ActMonCPU.png

Activity Monitor gives you the option to sort applications by RAM usage via the Real Mem column.
Click on that column, until the arrow points down (
2012_03_04_pA3_ActMonArrowDown.png
)
to see the RAM hungry processes on top.
You can also use the System Memory tab to see, how much RAM is used and not used and how much RAM is swapped (copied from RAM to the HDD), also called Page Outs.
The following article can help you with reading those stats:
2012_03_04_pA5_ActMonRAM.png

Activity Monitor gives you the option to sort applications by name via the Process Name column.
Click on that column, until the arrow points up (
2012_03_04_pA4_ActMonArrowUp.png
)
to see processes sorted alphabetically in descending order.
2012_03_04_pA7_ActMonNAME.png
You can also use the search field (top right) to look for specific processes.
2012_03_04_pA8_ActMonSEARCH.png

Activity Monitor gives you the option to show a variety of information in several columns.
If you want to see more columns, or the columns mentioned here are not visible, just right click on the column header area and select whatever column you like.
2012_03_04_pA9_ActMonCOLUMNS.png

Further reading on Activity Monitor:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.