Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

142235-u-verse_1.jpg
142235-u-verse_2.jpg

AT&T today announced the launch of its revamped and renamed U-verse Mobile application [App Store], bringing customers of the company's U-verse television service the ability to not only schedule DVR recordings remotely but also to download selected TV content for viewing on their iOS devices.
U-verse Mobile replaces the popular Mobile Remote Access for iPhone app and incorporates the ability to browse the U-verse TV program guide, view program descriptions, schedule and manage your DVR recordings, while adding the ability to download available episodes over any Wi-Fi connection, and watch them in full-screen mode on your iPhone from anywhere. U-verse TV customers already enjoy the flexibility of remote DVR management. More than 100,000 U-verse TV customers use the Web and Mobile Remote Access apps every month.

"We're making it possible for you to watch TV shows on your iPhone at no extra charge. It's just one more valuable and innovative feature available on U-verse TV," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "Our U-verse multi-screen promise is now a reality for millions of U-verse TV customers, with content available on U-verse TV, U-verse Online, and today, U-verse Mobile. No cable provider comes close to matching the cross-platform experience we're delivering today, and we'll continue to add unique features that further integrate these screens."
The new download service is available to customers subscribing to AT&T's U300 package or higher. Content is currently available from "several popular networks" with more networks to be added over time.

AT&T's U-verse application launched a little over a year ago and offered remote DVR scheduling. The company had been rumored to be working on a more substantial integration of U-verse with the iPhone. But even now, users are restricted to downloading content from AT&T's mobile library of shows rather than direct live integration with the customer's DVR.

Article Link: Revamped AT&T App Allows U-Verse Subscribers to Download Select TV Content

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
I wish U-Verse was available in my area. I would jump on that bandwagon quick! But I guess I'll continue to be stuck with Comcast until I move out of my apartment.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wow, where the hell did this come from?

Sounds cool.

Also sounds like AT&T is shaking in their boots about the possibility of the iPhone going on Verizon and whipping out the big(ger) guns.

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
By download do they mean stream? Or actually download?

As an iPod Touch user I'd love to be able to download a show and watch it on my train ride to work every day. Unfortunately I can't do that with streaming...

My parents also have U-Verse (I'm stuck with Comcast), I'm sure they'll give me their username and password so I can take advantage of the service!

Edit:
Well nevermind... "However the download and watch feature is not available with the iTouch and iPad". What the hell?

zaaa

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
WiFi needed to download, but once downloaded they do not need a connection to play. Putting my i4 on airplane mode it continued to play, however they do have an expiration date. I'll assume they either won't play or automatically are removed after that date.

henhowc

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
How do they verify that you are a u-verse customer? If you just need login credentials, anyone want to share their U-verse logon credentials? :p

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well the app is very improved over the old one. Stinks that the downloads are limited to u300. That is one of the higher packages I wish they let the u200 group use it.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
The UI is nice, but the major fail is that you cant "download" content from your DVR. That is a HUGE bumber for me.

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
How do they verify that you are a u-verse customer? If you just need login credentials, anyone want to share their U-verse logon credentials? :p

Good luck with that.

Well the app is very improved over the old one. Stinks that the downloads are limited to u300. That is one of the higher packages I wish they let the u200 group use it.

Exactly the point...they want to to spend $$$ to be able to get the cooler features.

violaboy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
no u200 love :(

Yeah, I guess the $125+ each month I pay is not good enough for this service. Come on!! :(

I do like U-Verse a lot, though. Better than any cable in my area and fast internet too. Wish I'd get a break for having 2 iPhones and the U-Verse service...

Photoguy60647

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago
Bully for AT&T

Been waiting in Chicago (not some small town, but Chicago for christ's sake) for way too long, we had the neighborhood wired for U-Verse for close to a year and still nothing. Seems for whatever corrupt reason AT&T doesn't want to compete and leave only Comcast (who I despise) as the only provider in my neighborhood. Hey Verizon, if want to make some more money just move into the Chicago area, then you can offer a package deal when you get the iPhone.:mad:

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
Been waiting in Chicago (not some small town, but Chicago for christ's sake) for way too long, we had the neighborhood wired for U-Verse for close to a year and still nothing. Seems for whatever corrupt reason AT&T doesn't want to compete and leave only Comcast (who I despise) as the only provider in my neighborhood. Hey Verizon, if want to make some more money just move into the Chicago area, then you can offer a package deal when you get the iPhone.:mad:

In Evanston they've had the U-Verse boxes installed for quite some time now. I use to have one directly outside my old apartment, but no U-Verse service :(

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

+1 in ny

also i dont know if i would swap. optimum has a huge wifi network. it also has fast internet. the phone features are nice to have for free and the tv is ok.

gtmurff

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Hopefully the u300+ is to give them some time to build out the infrastructure. I'm guessing (hoping) u200 comes soon.

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Great, a week after I drop down from U450 to U200 :(

...although I did treat myself to Max Turbo :D

techievega

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Re-revamping needed

I really appreciate having the ability to control my DVR remotely and also having the ability to watch programming on my Smartphone or iPad2, but it’s a life saver to be able to watch all the programming I’m subscribed to and all of my DVR recordings whenever I want even if I’m not home. It seems Uverse is starting to provide these services to their subscribers although DISH Network completed this last year and with huge success. I work for DISH and I was one of the first to get a Sling Ready VIP 922 receiver which allows for this complete TV viewing anywhere there’s Wi-Fi or mobile 3G network. Maybe next time Uverse revamps their app, again, they’ll be able to provide entertainment to their subscribers everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.