Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143750-apple_compatibility_labs_passes.jpg

As noted by Macworld, Apple has launched a new day pass program offering access to the company's Developer Compatibility Labs for Mac OS X developers. The new day passes, priced at $99, offer users access to Apple's facilities in either Cupertino, California or Tokyo, Japan to test their software or hardware products with a wide range of Apple products to ensure compatibility.
The Single Lab Day Pass, as its name suggests, offers developers access to one of the labs - located in Cupertino and Tokyo - for one day, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. There are three separate labs at Apple headquarters in Cupertino, containing a truly enormous amount of Mac hardware, from recent versions of many models to older Power Macs, PowerBooks, and iBooks - they even have G4 cubes. Apple says it has more than 500 configurations on hand for compatibility testing, along with plenty of accessories and networking hardware.
A single pass is valid for up to ten attendees, all of whom must be registered Mac developers. Participants are of course also responsible for their own travel and lodging costs.

Access to the compatibility labs was previously restricted to members of the company's ADC Select and Premier developer programs, but with Apple simplifying the developer program and lowering the cost of entry earlier this year, the company has rolled out the new day pass program to allow a broader array of developers access to the facilities.

Article Link: Apple Announces New Developer Day Passes for Mac Compatibility Labs

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I presume that they have only shipping products in their lab, so this service won't be used to test compatible with yet-to-be-released products, and no NDA is required.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
"They even have G4 Cubes"

I resemble that statement!!! Errrr.....something like that.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Is there a rule stating that you must be testing compatibility of software you wrote? I go to college with a bunch of Mac developers, and for $9.90 a person, it's very tempting to go test the compatibility of StarCraft II with the latest Mac Pros. :)

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
My newton apps I have been writing for 10 years can finally be tested. I havent wanted to be a newton, just be a newton dev.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.