Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.h.johnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
After moving cities, I am having trouble using my 2 yr old Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router with a new ISP (AT&T). I'm using a Mac w/ Leopard. I can see the router displayed under network options, it will show that is connected to the router, but I've got no internet.

I've only got internet if I am plugged directly into the modem.

The router will not assign an IP address. Occasionally, I will get ONE of my three computers onto the internet w/ wireless.

I have reset the router (i.e. instead of my old SSID, it's now just "linksys"). The router gives off a signal (i.e. it shows up as a network option for my airport).

If I use the linksys CD, I walk through the installation/configuration and it results in "Error 301".

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I'm confused.

Is everything wired correctly (WAN port of router to DSL/cable modem)?

Are you pulling an IP from the router when connected to it?

If so, is your router pulling an IP from your ISP?

c.h.johnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Everything is definitely wired correctly.

When I am connected directly to the modem, I am able to get an IP address.

When I try to do anything with my router (i.e. wireless or cable) there is no IP address. It gives off a "signal" (so it shows up on my available networks) but there is no internet (I'm assuming because there's no IP).

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Everything is definitely wired correctly.

When I am connected directly to the modem, I am able to get an IP address.

When I try to do anything with my router (i.e. wireless or cable) there is no IP address. It gives off a "signal" (so it shows up on my available networks) but there is no internet (I'm assuming because there's no IP).

Don't assume it's because you have no IP. Check the IP of your machine. If you have one, web browse to your router and check its IP. If it doesn't have one, it could be a hardware issue or a configuration problem.

Editorguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
Router not assigning IP address

I am having the same issue with my Macbook Pro and my iPod Touch. I am on vacation, staying at a home that has a DSL modem and a Linksys WRT54G Router. One of us has a Windows PC and he connects wirelessly no problem, while 2 of us have MacBook pros, and we cannot connect wirelessly or when plugged directly with ethernet cable. We get error that says no IP address. I cannot go to the router setup with my Mac, only with the Windows PC. The only way I can connect the Mac is to setup PPPoE network when connected directly with ethernet cable. We even had a DSL service tech here and he could not figure out how to connect the Macs. I have always been able to connect wirelessly before to any network, so I am baffled about this situation. I have even tried connecting manually through network preferences, and can get it show a valid connection, but cannot get on the internet. Any help with this?

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
So what address does the Mac show if it's not getting an address from DHCP? Is it showing an APIPA/Self assigned IP?

Do things work if you assign a fixed IP address to the problem machine? If so then you can use this as a workaround - remember you can use the network locations feature to create a location of 'home' (or whatever) with a fixed IP address and leave the default network settings as DHCP so you can roam without fiddling too much.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this bug on a WRT54G too when I had one, which is quite some time ago now. Never did get to the bottom of it, but I'm pretty sure I also saw it on my Windows laptop as well as my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.