Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1
necropunk
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to necropunk
Frequent Force-Shutdown

Greetings,

My macbook pro's HD is in bad shape. S.M.A.R.T status is not ok. Sometimes the OS freezes, but so far this is the main problem I detected so far.
Until now.

I reinstalled the OS X - clean install - to see if things got better, but no luck. Although I think the system is more stable now, the machine is unable to restat or shut down as before. I have to hold the shut down button for a couple of seconds.

With this in mind, is it dangerous for the machine to do frequent force shut-downs, or it just deteriorates the HD even more?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5

I think your first priority is to replace the hard drive. After that, force rebooting the machine could be damaging to the data stored on the hard drive. It could corrupt it and cause odd behavior.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:06 PM   #3
necropunk
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to necropunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
I think your first priority is to replace the hard drive. After that, force rebooting the machine could be damaging to the data stored on the hard drive. It could corrupt it and cause odd behavior.
Thank you for the reply.
I'm aware of that. I'm more concerned with the act of doing constant force-shutdown. Is it really bad to the macbook pro or just to the HD?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropunk View Post
Thank you for the reply.
I'm aware of that. I'm more concerned with the act of doing constant force-shutdown. Is it really bad to the macbook pro or just to the HD?
It's bad for the data on the hard drive. Not the hard drive itself.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Gepper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropunk View Post
Greetings,

My macbook pro's HD is in bad shape. S.M.A.R.T status is not ok. Sometimes the OS freezes, but so far this is the main problem I detected so far.
Until now.

I reinstalled the OS X - clean install - to see if things got better, but no luck. Although I think the system is more stable now, the machine is unable to restat or shut down as before. I have to hold the shut down button for a couple of seconds.

With this in mind, is it dangerous for the machine to do frequent force shut-downs, or it just deteriorates the HD even more?

Thanks in advance
If your drive is reporting a bad S.M.A.R.T status i would backup the drive and replace it ASAP. It pretty much mean you have failing hardware.
Gepper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X