Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1
necropunk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to necropunk
Frequent Force-Shutdown

Greetings,


My macbook pro's HD is in bad shape. S.M.A.R.T status is not ok. Sometimes the OS freezes, but so far this is the main problem I detected so far.
Until now.

I reinstalled the OS X - clean install - to see if things got better, but no luck. Although I think the system is more stable now, the machine is unable to restat or shut down as before. I have to hold the shut down button for a couple of seconds.

With this in mind, is it dangerous for the machine to do frequent force shut-downs, or it just deteriorates the HD even more?


Thanks in advance
__________________
"The dog who is so angry he cannot move. He cannot eat. He cannot sleep. He can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, he approaches the state of rigor mortis."
necropunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
I think your first priority is to replace the hard drive. After that, force rebooting the machine could be damaging to the data stored on the hard drive. It could corrupt it and cause odd behavior.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:06 PM   #3
necropunk
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to necropunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
I think your first priority is to replace the hard drive. After that, force rebooting the machine could be damaging to the data stored on the hard drive. It could corrupt it and cause odd behavior.
Thank you for the reply.
I'm aware of that. I'm more concerned with the act of doing constant force-shutdown. Is it really bad to the macbook pro or just to the HD?
__________________
"The dog who is so angry he cannot move. He cannot eat. He cannot sleep. He can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, he approaches the state of rigor mortis."
necropunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors G5
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by necropunk View Post
Thank you for the reply.
I'm aware of that. I'm more concerned with the act of doing constant force-shutdown. Is it really bad to the macbook pro or just to the HD?
It's bad for the data on the hard drive. Not the hard drive itself.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Gepper
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by necropunk View Post
Greetings,


My macbook pro's HD is in bad shape. S.M.A.R.T status is not ok. Sometimes the OS freezes, but so far this is the main problem I detected so far.
Until now.

I reinstalled the OS X - clean install - to see if things got better, but no luck. Although I think the system is more stable now, the machine is unable to restat or shut down as before. I have to hold the shut down button for a couple of seconds.

With this in mind, is it dangerous for the machine to do frequent force shut-downs, or it just deteriorates the HD even more?


Thanks in advance
If your drive is reporting a bad S.M.A.R.T status i would backup the drive and replace it ASAP. It pretty much mean you have failing hardware.
Gepper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frequent Kernel Crashes Applespider Macintosh Computers 6 Jan 27, 2004 09:13 AM
HELP!! Frequent Kernel Panics in 10.3.2! MacManiac1224 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Jan 25, 2004 09:48 AM
iPod mini: Frequently Asked Questions MacBytes MacBytes.com News Discussion 6 Jan 8, 2004 07:54 PM
How many frequent flyer miles does your Mac have? Doctor Q Community 18 Sep 21, 2003 07:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC