Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamijim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2010
I am having trouble watching some files through this app.

I have noticed the larger files which contain content in HD have a difficult time with direct conversion, they tend to pixalate.

I know that I can not expect to actually watch HD on this, but has anyone else had conversion issues from files from HD sources.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
No problems even with huge files here.

What machine are you running the AirVideo server on?

Where are you watching the content? Over 3G?

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I am using AirVideo a lot now in our vacation cottage. I run it on an old iPhone with a video cable to a TV and stream movies from my laptop to the TV. Of course, its also works great on the iPad. The live conversion works OK, but the app will drop the quality level down if the server or the network can't keep up.

I usually just use this same great app to que up offline conversions overnight. Once the movie is in the m4v format, it plays very smoothly.

tonyt3rry

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Not to sure if you guys have tried cinexplayer, all you do is sync your iPad then go to filesharing and hit add add your .avi file then it will take one min or so boot up your app and your movie will play worked for me with cop out

miamijim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2010
I was watching video over my home network over wifi from my iMac HD.

Never had issues with it before but the file I was watching was 720p.HDTV.X264 mkv file I am thinking that Air Video could be having trouble with this quality of a file.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
I was watching video over my home network over wifi from my iMac HD.

Never had issues with it before but the file I was watching was 720p.HDTV.X264 mkv file I am thinking that Air Video could be having trouble with this quality of a file.

AirVideo has some settings on the server/application on your source computer to downsample to a lower quality if the processor/network can't keep up. This might be what is happening in your instance.Look at the specs of your machine and the settings on the server app to see what you'll be capable doing.

In general use, I have been extremely happy using it with my video library. If they included other media serving like music and photos it would be ideal (serving iPhoto libraries and iTunes libraries or browsing directories as they currently do for video).

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Real time re-encoding is very processor intensive. It might be that your computer isn't fast enough to re-encode that file on the fly, so it downsamples it to crappy quality in order to make it not stutter. If you want to view files in good quality, the best thing is just to queue up a bunch of files for re-encoding and then watch them after they're re-encoded (you can watch one re-encoded file while re-encoding another one without affecting performance).

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey

I have noticed the larger files which contain content in HD have a difficult time with direct conversion, they tend to pixalate.

I know that I can not expect to actually watch HD on this, but has anyone else had conversion issues from files from HD sources.

You can't even watch HD on the iPad anyway... 720P, which is the lowest HD doesn't exist on the iPad. 1280x720 > 1024x768

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
miamijim, when did you buy your iMac? Do you know what processor is in it?

You can't even watch HD on the iPad anyway... 720P, which is the lowest HD doesn't exist on the iPad. 1280x720 > 1024x768

Thanks sherlock.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Also consider your router. A lot of time people are trying to do things with a lower grade router that might not be able to handle the requests.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK

I get the same issue with MKV files which are HD quality, when I play them over Air Video the quality isn't good. Normal XVID or DIVX files are fine.

Like others here have said, instead I queue the MKV files to be converted first, they then playback fine. So I'm guessing it's my Mac Mini which is 4 years or so old so probably can't convert MKV files fast enough for streaming.

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
I've got a pretty powerful PC with terabytes of DVDs I've ripped, and I have to say air video might be one of my most used apps. It's simply great. But your machine does need some moxy to handle it.

Looking forward to similar support or a similar app for photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.