Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Anastacio
macrumors regular

How to open the micro-sim tray?

Totally stupid question but I have been sitting here with my iPhone 4 for an hour now and I'm still figuring out, how to get the micro-sim tray open? I'm using the pen that was in the package, yet it seems the port is totally stuck. What to do? =/
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:34 AM   #2
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Try a paper clip, pin, wiggle it, push the tray back in?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:34 AM   #3
doctordowling
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
Totally stupid question but I have been sitting here with my iPhone 4 for an hour now and I'm still figuring out, how to get the micro-sim tray open? I'm using the pen that was in the package, yet it seems the port is totally stuck. What to do? =/
Take a small paperclip and push it in the circular whole on the side of the phone. The tray will eject pretty easily
doctordowling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Anastacio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordowling View Post
Take a small paperclip and push it in the circular whole on the side of the phone. The tray will eject pretty easily
That's my point, it doesn't do it easily. I have tried with a paperclip as well. This is weird, like it's totally stuck.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:48 AM   #5
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
That's my point, it doesn't do it easily. I have tried with a paperclip as well. This is weird, like it's totally stuck.
I'd take it back to Apple.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:09 AM   #6
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
When I first got mine I had difficulty, but with some wiggling it opened.
adztaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:20 AM   #7
JulianL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by adztaylor View Post
Me too. I understand the OP's concern. When I first got my phone it seemed fairly obvious to me that that little round hole was just begging to have a paperclip pushed into it but, after I tried that and the tray didn't seem to be moving, I lost confidence and started Googling, reading how-to articles and watching YouTube videos about the SIM tray.

Once I'd convinced myself that I was doing the right thing and wasn't going to break it, I had another go and pressed the paperclip in harder, and the tray came out enough for me to get my fingernails around the edges and slide it out fully.

- Julian
JulianL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:28 AM   #8
mattkowalski
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adztaylor View Post
Yeah me too....

I had trouble opening the drawer, and was definitely less than comfortable applying that much force to a new phone!! And the same happened when trying to close it.

Unless you've fixed it by now, I would suggest taking it to an Apple store and letting them do it for you. If they break it, you can blame them rather than yourself!!
mattkowalski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:31 AM   #9
Irish Rose
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

As others have said, don't worry that you are going to break it. Just use a small paper clip, and with the right amount of force it will open for you.
Irish Rose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Bandolier
Banned

You need to push really hard because Apple didn't give the tray any room to move around. It seems it was slit-cut from the metal so you'll need a lot of force.
Bandolier is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone