Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:20 AM   #1
spt
macrumors member

[SOLVED] OSX [does not] reveal[s] home address when visiting certain websites

Edit: OSX in fact doesn't do this. It appears that one of my neigbours has a large hosting company (which probably explains his $200,000 car), whoms address shows up in the https traffic I came accross...

It's a bizarre coincidence though: I'm sniffing my own network traffic on a random public wifi network about 150km from home, and I notice my own address in it. The same address that I used to register my MBP. So what do I conclude from that? That my MBP must have leaked it somehow. How large is the probability that the address was in fact the address of one of my neighbours running one of the largest hosting companies of my country...?

Last edited by spt; Aug 11, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
spt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816

Do you rule out the possibility that this info is derived from your IP address?
It doesn't ring right that Mac OS X would allow such a breach of privacy.
Bernard SG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:31 AM   #3
spt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard SG View Post
Do you rule out the possibility that this info is derived from your IP address?
It doesn't ring right that Mac OS X would allow such a breach of privacy.
Yes, I'm certain that it's not revealed from my ip address. I verified it on different networks. Also, it seems browser independent, as it occured both when using Firefox and Safari. My guess is that it's related to the SSL implementation.
spt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking