Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2004, 09:31 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Disctop 1.0 review

Category: Reviews
Link: Disctop 1.0 review
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:13 PM   #2
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Fun, fun, fun.

I would like to make the CD image smaller though. Right now, it's taking up about a third of my desktop space (but not real estate).

irmongoose
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:14 PM   #3
balconycollapse
macrumors regular

Very Clever Made my day.

A good angle to think about technology. As we eliminate the analog why not represent it digitally when helpful for gui?
balconycollapse is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 01:14 AM   #4
Xero
macrumors 6502

Im definitely liking this little app. I just wish the disc insertion animation would happen a little quicker so it didnt look like an afterthought. Although that may just be a hardware limitation...

Fun nonetheless

EDIT: Anyone else with a 1ghz Ti PB find they need to go to about 4 seconds delay for the eject animation to line up? Im curious what others are setting it at.
Xero is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 01:29 AM   #5
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Well the time table says 2.9 seconds for the PB...

?

irmongoose
Old Nov 28, 2004, 05:24 AM   #6
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

This is a cool application, and really shows off the power of Mac OS X to Windows users. I might just use it as a switcher's tactic! I too think that the disc icon is a bit on the big side by default, and should be adjustable.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:10 AM   #7
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Very nifty
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:47 AM   #8
fistful
macrumors 6502a

Niceness! it may not be functional but it sure is jive
fistful is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:31 AM   #9
2GMario
macrumors regular

what would be even cooler is if it accessed the CDDB and used the actual cd image instead of the shinny silver.

but im not sure if CDDB stores the actual cd print, or just the case image

-Mario
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:06 AM   #10
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

Really nice, I'm using it!

You know, one thing that bothers me about slot-loading drives is that you may forget that there's a disc in there and try to insert another one without ejecting the other first... It never happened to me with my iMac G5, but I'm always afraid that some Windows user friend of mine might do it

Anyway, it looks cool, and I think it's almost perfect the way it is, displaying the disc in a 1:1 ratio (maybe that's because my iMac is a 20''er ). After all, I can already see the disc's icon on the right side of the desktop. It's just that instead of the small icon on the desktop and the Finder, that huge disk just draws my attention more easily. You're probably thinking that's a bad thing, but no: it draws my attention, but not so much that it distracts me. That's where transparency comes in

The only things I think that could be better are the animations - they don't look realistic enough. It would make more sense if the disc just faded in on the desktop when you inserted it, because it's impossible to synchronize the animation with the actual physical action of inserting it. And as for the ejecting, as we all now, discs are only ejected halfway, so the animation should depict a half-ejected disc, and its remaining left half should remain on the deskop for 1-3 seconds, and then, fade out... That would roughly correspond to the time one takes to stretch his arm and reach for the disc and remove it

I know I'm being picky, but it makes some sense, since they went so far as letting you adjust the animation delay

Last edited by Mainyehc; Nov 28, 2004 at 11:13 AM.
Mainyehc is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:19 AM   #11
2GMario
macrumors regular

as for the disc ejecting half way, that may be true on the imac and ibook, but its not true for the G5 which it technically depicts correctly

and in regards to putting 2 cds in at once... a couple weeks ago i had the pleasure of almost completly disaseambling my sister ibook to take out the 2 cds she decided to force into the drive

3 hours later (i took my time) i had the ibook back together, and everything worked fine including the cdrom that decided every 5 seconds to attempt to eject the discs for some reason.

and no, u cannot use needle nose plyers, stick them in the slot and try to pull 1 out. i tried many times. the slot is just to thin to get a tool like that in there.

and i didnt send it to apple care because she dorms at the university here and needed it for mid terms and i was affraid turn around time was gonna be to long (if they would have even covered it) and i wasent about to let her take my ibook

but now that its been brought up, i think il go and install this on her ibook that shes home for the weekend.

-Mario
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:59 AM   #12
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GMario
as for the disc ejecting half way, that may be true on the imac and ibook, but its not true for the G5 which it technically depicts correctly
Oh, yes, of course, I know that... I have an iMac G5, so, it applies to my machine. But, as you may have noticed, Disctop let's you choose machine presets, so it would be easy to choose the appropriate one. And as for the iBook/Powerbook/iMacG4/Cube/Powermac, the disc doesn't go to the back of the screen, so the animation could stay the same, especially on the 15'' and 17'' PBs, making it look like if the disc "travelled" all the way from the screen to the slot. If you adjusted the delay, that would look cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GMario
and in regards to putting 2 cds in at once... a couple weeks ago i had the pleasure of almost completly disaseambling my sister ibook to take out the 2 cds she decided to force into the drive
It's good to know that everything is fine now... Or is it?? (I mean... what about the warranty???)
I hope that Disctop helps prevent that in the future

Last edited by Mainyehc; Nov 28, 2004 at 12:14 PM.
Mainyehc is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:18 PM   #13
2GMario
macrumors regular

no, everything is fine now.

warrenty... they tried selling us the extended warrenty, which my view is, if u drop it and the screen breaks, ur screwed either way, we didnt get.

shes had it since may, so just about 6 months... now that i've taken it apart, assuming nothing major fails (logic board, processor, etc...) it shouldnt be hard to do it again to replace something else

not that we can afford to just up and spend another 1200 on a new ibook, but if something happens, il take my chances and go in and fix it myself.

seriously thow, if anyone owns a ibook (dont know how the powerbooks are) it is a REAL PAIN to take the ibook apart to the point where u have access to the cdrom / hard drive.

really, some 20+ screws came out of it, and some of the wires (wireless, keyboard, power) are routed so tight, they can break easily if ur not watching what ur doing.

just a warning if this happens to anyone, or anyone is feeling adventurous and thinks upgrading the internal hard drive might be a fun project.

-Mario

Last edited by 2GMario; Nov 28, 2004 at 12:21 PM.
2GMario is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 01:46 PM   #14
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

OH NO NOT AGAIN!!!

Damn it!! This is the second app that I know that screws up Exposť...

Try it yourselves... Run Disctop, and then, try using the third Exposť mode, the app-specific mode. Is this bug happening on my system only, or on yours too? When I trigger it, the only thing that is greyed out is the *desktop*, and not the other apps on the background. This is SO annoying, you can't discern which windows are those of the selected app and those of the other apps. It gets even worse because exposť turns off the window shades!! Exposť will only work properly again after you start tabbing through apps...

I was also getting this strange behaviour with recent versions of Desktop Manager (0.5.x). So, I switched back to 0.4.2... But this Disctop thing is in 1.0, so I'll have to stop using it!! Really, I'm not giving Exposť's functionality away just for having that nifty disc on my desktop...

Last edited by Mainyehc; Nov 28, 2004 at 01:51 PM.
Mainyehc is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion