Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2004, 09:36 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Survey: Some iPod users dumping PCs for Macs

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Survey: Some iPod users dumping PCs for Macs
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:02 PM   #2
montex
macrumors regular

The last line of the story reads: "They've got to keep that 'cool factor' going," Munster said. "If they donít, they're in trouble."

OMFG! Can you believe it? C|net had yet again managed to find a negative spin on what is a positive Mac article. What is it with these guys?
montex is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:01 AM   #3
millhouse_man
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montex
The last line of the story reads: "They've got to keep that 'cool factor' going," Munster said. "If they donít, they're in trouble."

OMFG! Can you believe it? C|net had yet again managed to find a negative spin on what is a positive Mac article. What is it with these guys?

That's exactly what I said to myself when I finished reading it. Like Apple is going out of business if they don't somehow capitalize on the iPod. Also, the title of the article says that the effects of the iPod are "unexpected." As if the iPod wasn't something Apple has been using to push the appeal of Macs. People buying Macs because they think their iPod is cool is hardly "unexpected."
Come on, cnet!
millhouse_man is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 05:07 AM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

What C|Net is reporting is exactly the "halo effect" from the iPod that was predicted to occur. Obviously, Apple's profits will grow because of this phenomenon. The article says that Apple will go out of business unless there's a halo effect - which is a misreport. Apple was doing just fine without it, and the halo effect has simply made them stronger. By the way, I hate the spelling "C|Net" because it's such a pain to type that pipe character every time (I don't like THEM very much either).
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:09 AM   #5
iJoe
macrumors member

I don't even have an iPod and I switched to Mac, Sure I want one though!

I was also a techie type on the PC. It just pissed me off too much.

I switched to Macs because they are better, not because of the iPod.
iJoe is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:25 AM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G4

It can be interesting to see still more anecdotes (and small-scale surveys) about the "halo effect." It's real even if nobody can say yet how extensive it will be.

But think how much resistance some people have against daring to venture away from Microsoft even when buried under viruses and spyware. And think how long people keep a computer--even PCs, which don't stay usable as long as Macs, can go for a couple years. Most people aren't going to switch until their current computer is up for replacement--or maybe the computer after that!

So the REAL halo effect is one that will take years, not months.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2004, 06:58 AM   #7
kerb
macrumors regular

I was a Mac user AFTER having an iPod

ooh I feel like such a statistic
512MB iPod Shuffle
kerb is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:21 AM   #8
jbembe
macrumors 6502a

I don't think apple is going to be in any kind of trouble any time soon. Such a b.s. statement. BTW, the guy in the apple store NW of Chicago told me they sold 350 iPods in one day over the thanksgiving weekend just at their store. They also said that the iMac G5 is selling well and is now coming with wireless keyboard and mouse out of the box. I think Apple will make a killing this quarter!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:44 AM   #9
srobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbembe
They also said that the iMac G5 is selling well and is now coming with wireless keyboard and mouse out of the box. I think Apple will make a killing this quarter!!!!
Come again? wireless keyboard/mouse out of the box? That would put to rest the number 1 negative point of most of the iMac G5's reviews. Unfortunately, iMacs on www.apple.com/store still don't come with the bluetooth module pre-installed so I doubt the accuracy of this claim. It would be great news though.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:53 AM   #10
jbembe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
Come again? wireless keyboard/mouse out of the box? That would put to rest the number 1 negative point of most of the iMac G5's reviews. Unfortunately, iMacs on www.apple.com/store still don't come with the bluetooth module pre-installed so I doubt the accuracy of this claim. It would be great news though.
Well, I didn't purchase one, but the guy at the genius bar told me that's how the newest ones were selling. If anyone can confirm this it'd be nice 'cause I only heard it from one employee in one store and I didn't actually buy one or inspect the boxes.

He also said that they were getting some iMacs that had bluetooth installed and that they couldn't keep those in stock. Take it for what it is.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion