Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I did my best to search and nothing came up about this:

Woke up this morning to unplug my iPhone 4, which was charging overnight. Checked my email then sent a short text message, but I didn't hear the usual clicks and other sound effects.

Checked the volume and other settings but they were all set to 'sound on'.

Decided to reboot and wala, the sounds came back on. Weird.

Has anyone experinced this?

blueturf

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
My wifes phone did the same thing. My kids noticed it playing doodle jump. Rebooted and sound came beck.

fasteddy2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
I had the same problem. But my phone would also not ring. I was on the phone with Apple Care for a couple of hours and nothing helped at first. We restored, restarted and what seemed like a bazillion other things. We finally got it back by making a phone call and pressing the speaker phone button then turning the speaker phone off again. But it happened again while I was on the phone and we did the same fix. Finally he said bring it back to an Apple store, which I did. Apple ran a couple of diagnostics and could not find anything. They exchanged it, no problem. Still don't know what the problem was.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Are you on 4.0.1? This was a known (and reportedly fixed) defect in 4.0.

I had the issue but I went to 4.1 beta and skipped 4.0.1 so I don't know for sure. I do know the problem is gone in 4.1 beta 3.

countzero2k10

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Alabama
Happened to my first 4 and the "geniuses" told me to restore the phone and set it up as a new device. I tried that and it still lost it's sounds every once and a while. Not sure what the problem was but they reluctantly swapped the phone out and it hasn't done it since. Might go talk to them?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Do you run Skype? I've noticed that hen I have skype running in the background, the volume gets all wierd and quiet.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
The defect 'resolution' from Apple on this indicated it was a problem with background audio apps (skype, pandora, etc.) not doing the right thing. Have you downloaded the latest on all those?

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
The defect 'resolution' from Apple on this indicated it was a problem with background audio apps (skype, pandora, etc.) not doing the right thing. Have you downloaded the latest on all those?

Yes I did. Actually, my iPhone only did this this morning and after re-booting it, it hasn;t done it again. Hoping it won't anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.