Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 28, 2004, 02:18 AM   #1
Punani
macrumors regular

DTS

I'm just a little curious as to why DVD Player doesn't include DTS support. With VideoLAN's temporary pulling of its DTS support following some alleged patent infringement by DTS, I suspect either DTS doesn't like to license its codecs except a select few, or has rather heavy licensing fees.

Either way with somewhat random support (Its only available on 2 DVD players for Windows) available for it, does DTS really sound any better than Dolby? I know consensus on this is almost never reached, but I'm just curious what you guys think.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 03:33 AM   #2
Jalexster
macrumors 6502a

DTS does sound better than Dolby. It is superior. Except in certain implementations.

Ah Playstation 2... It is incredible how much you can suck, and still be popular. Like Windows in that respect...
Jalexster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 05:24 AM   #3
imac_japan
macrumors member

The PS2 doesn't suck....Just some of the People who use it !!
imac_japan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 05:43 AM   #4
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
DTS runs a much higher bit-rate than AC3, and is consequently much less compressed, but does put a higher load on the overall bit-rate of a DVD.

In our tests it yields a significantly better subjective sound quality as well as reporting a better frequency response and dynamic range.

On the downside, you're right, the license fees are steep, and finding DTS encoders is a bit of a chore, especially when Apple give away perfectly good AC3 encoders free with FCP.

Currently the best DTS encoders are still hardware based, but there is a plug-in suite for ProTools etc.

Most hardware DVD players now support the DTS format, as does the Apple DVD Player through the G5's optical output, and my PS2 will deliver DTS to a domestic (Sony) surround amp well enough.

If I have a choice I'll always use DTS over Dolb AC3.
WinterMute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:09 AM   #5
dejo

DTS Rocks!

I, too, have to agree that, IMO, DTS sounds better. When I need to prove it, I play the opening naval assault from Master And Commander first with regular Dolby Digital and then once again with DTS. The difference is quite noticeable (to me, and to those whom I've subjected this test). In DTS, I can almost swear my house really is under attack!
dejo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 03:33 PM   #6
sAmBaL BeLaCaN
macrumors member

where?

Where can I download thus specific DTS software?

PS.BTW..I use an M-Audio Sonica Theatre..does it will give any effect?
sAmBaL BeLaCaN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store