Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

142355-ipod_shuffle_nano.jpg

TechnologMe.com reports that UK supermarket chain Morrisons has slashed prices on the current-generation iPod nano and iPod shuffle models, suggesting that the retailer is looking to clear stock ahead of the release of refreshed models as soon as next week or perhaps early next month.
Morrisons, the UK supermarket chain, is slashing the price of 3rd generation iPod shuffles down to £20 and 4th generation iPod Nanos to £60 ahead of restocking of new iPod models.
Apple's retail store pricing in the UK typically begins at approximately £39 for the iPod shuffle and £100 for the iPod nano before accounting for VAT.

Pricing and stock moves by retailers are frequently unreliable indicators of Apple's plans, however, as stores are not generally kept abreast of the company's release schedule. Retailers can, however, sometimes sense when Apple's supply chain for certain models begins to dry up, offering some early warning of product refreshes. It is of course unclear in this case whether Morrisons has concrete reason to believe that the current-generation iPod nano and iPod shuffle are set to be discontinued in the near future or if it is simply basing its moves on the widely rumored and assumed annual September refresh of Apple's iPod line.

Article Link: UK Retailer Offering Deep Discounts on Current iPod Nano and Shuffle Models

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Any of your friends have a birthday coming up soon? Tell them how much you love them with a Nano and let them think you paid full price for it :D

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
"Deep Discounts" just sounds so wrong to me. Anywho... (trying to think of something relevant to contribute)... I got nothing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i hope they come out with a better designed shuffle. the current design sucks big time.

Absolutely. My Shuffle is almost dead now, I want to replace it but I don't want to go anywhere near the current one.
Shame that site doesn't display precise price cuts. I don't live near a Morrisons so I'm not going out of my way to look.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
I think the will just get rid of the shuffle, I don't think they will revert to a bigger design as that seems not something Apple would do, considering they keep trying to make products slimmer/smaller. Are they that popular anyway?

I think the new nano will start at a lower price to replace the shuffle.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I saw this thread earlier and thought it was a non-story, but figured it would fly up front sooner or later. No mystery here--we know new iPods are coming soon. $90(approx) for a nano is good, though. If they were $99 new they would be hot sellers.
i hope they come out with a better designed shuffle. the current design sucks big time.

Amen.

I'm sure they will. Let's just hope they don't try to get too tricky. Gen 2 was a brilliant design.

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
"current design sucks big time"?

Actually I was planning on picking up one of the current model shuffles for listening to podcasts and music while exercising.
The deep discounts have me concerned that this may have not been a design with legs.
I recently saw a $10 discount at Best Buy in the states.
The comments here further my concern.

Can anyone elaborate on the weakness of design?
Is the cord-based control non-intuitive, or is it awkward vs the older circle-button design?

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
I think the will just get rid of the shuffle, I don't think they will revert to a bigger design as that seems not something Apple would do, considering they keep trying to make products slimmer/smaller. Are they that popular anyway?

I think the new nano will start at a lower price to replace the shuffle.

So, they keep getting smaller and smaller and thinner until they fade into oblivion, at which point Apple gets rid of the line. That sounds about right!

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Actually I was planning on picking up one of the current model shuffles for listening to podcasts and music while exercising.
The deep discounts have me concerned that this may have not been a design with legs.

Is the cord-based control non-intuitive, or is it awkward vs the older circle-button design?

Yeah and the fact that you cant use any headphones with them.

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC

The cord is the overall flaw. That fact that the device itself has few physical buttons makes it crippled. The headphone cords break very easily, so easily that an iPod Shuffle owner would go through so many headphones that they would essentially pay for another iPod Shuffle.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
I was relieved of my 1st gen iPod nano :mad: there's no sale that can ease that kind of pain

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
'Fact is... you have to realise this has happened before .. they want rid of old stock .. so .. comes along the Free iPod Touch offer for Education .. nice. Aye. BUT .. that ends on September 7th .. now ... are they really going to let us have a free NEW MODEL Nano / Touch before this date .. well no .. .so please... rest. And come back in 5 weeks time ... remember .... you read it here first .. thanks ..... :eek:

Oneness

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
++

The 2G was a design classic. Having no buttons is ridiculous.

Not just a 'design classic'. The 2G was the epitome of design. The acme of form melding with function.
Apple shoud have closed shop after the 2G was released. They will never top its design.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I was just thinking! I work there, but granted I'm 18 and saving up for my gap year travelling and uni! Don't intend to be there very long!

Shiiiine, let it shine.

LOL *Enter Richard Hammond* :p

Got a Morrys round the corner...never go there though...the only decent stuff they sell is doughnuts (that for some reason, never go stale) and home made sausage rolls!

Back on topic :p

Didnt Apple get pissed once before when a bunch of UK realers (Argos, John Lewis, PC World etc) started discounting iPods? A few years back if I recall. It made it to MR homepage.

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
At least somebody is cutting down the pounds. Richard Simmons will be so proud!:p

mdimilo

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Miss the button

On the 2G you could find a song by shuffling until you found the album you want and then going backward or forward to the track you want. With the headphone controls is there is no longer a "back" button that I'm aware of. Maybe it's hidden in those cryptic morse code controls on the headphones. Not a very "Apple" UI.:(

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
On the 2G you could find a song by shuffling until you found the album you want and then going backward or forward to the track you want. With the headphone controls is there is no longer a "back" button that I'm aware of. Maybe it's hidden in those cryptic morse code controls on the headphones. Not a very "Apple" UI.:(

3 clicks to go backwards!

The big annoyance is having to use Apple's headphones.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004

Click 3 times to go back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.