Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Pushes Out New 'Snow Leopard Graphics Update' Build to Developers






One week ago, we reported that Apple had seeded to developers a "Snow Leopard Graphics Update". While it was unclear exactly what the update is designed to address, a number of users have been complaining of graphics-related issues, particularly with high-performance games.

We have received word that Apple has seeded a new build of Snow Leopard Graphics Update to developers today, and while those familiar with the builds note that Apple has not documented any additional specific focus areas for testing, the one known issue in the previous build, which involved crashing of 3D applications on Mac Pros with the Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 graphics card, is no longer listed in the documentation as being present.

A public release date for the update remains unknown.

Article Link: Apple Pushes Out New 'Snow Leopard Graphics Update' Build to Developers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:32 PM   #2
bluesky681
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Very Informational

I wouldn't call that news. BTW: Any chance of touch screen support?
bluesky681 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:45 PM   #3
wizard
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2003
Hoping this update aggressively improves early 2008 MBP performance.

That is my current machine of course. The problem is I don't want to buy a new machine right now but yet would like all the issues resolved with respect to GPU performance and would love to see acceleration of video play back on the GPU.

Maybe that is to much to ask for. Snow Leopard fixed a lot of things on the MBP for me but GPU performance and Quicktime still leave a lot to be desired.


Dave
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Xavier
macrumors 68020
 
Xavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Maybe that is to much to ask for. Snow Leopard fixed a lot of things on the MBP for me but GPU performance and Quicktime still leave a lot to be desired.
We will find out soon I guess. The performance drop between 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 was outrageously big. This should have been "pushed out" earlier.
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Bernd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Send a message via AIM to Bernd
I'm just glad Apple is working on this. It did not effect me until I replaced my 2006 Mac mini with a 2010 Mac mini. Big update from intel crap graphics to nvidia. now a 2nd boost would be nice with better drivers.
Bernd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:06 PM   #6
spillproof
macrumors 68020
 
spillproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
How is Steam working? I'm still with 10.6.2 so I can play my Steam games properly but I want at least 10.6.3 for the new Flash hardware acceleration.
__________________
I don't know what to put here.
spillproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:11 PM   #7
darkplanets
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Seed notes anyone?

Please?
darkplanets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Xavier
macrumors 68020
 
Xavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillproof View Post
How is Steam working? I'm still with 10.6.2 so I can play my Steam games properly but I want at least 10.6.3 for the new Flash hardware acceleration.
10.6.3 was unaffected by the graphics driver problem. 10.6.4 is.

I had to downgrade from 10.6.4, which was a pain. But, something tells me 10.6.5 will be out soon, so you might as well just wait to hear the official report.
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:52 PM   #9
DARKJ3DI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
on my 2010 macbook pro with 10.6.4 I have no issue with games through steam. they run exactly the same as on 10.6.3. but a graphics update is always welcome...
__________________
MacBook Pro 2010, iPod shuffle, Xbox 360.
DARKJ3DI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplanets View Post
Seed notes anyone?

Please?
Here's part of it :

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE IS UNDER NON- DISCLOSURE
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:44 PM   #11
darkplanets
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Here's part of it :

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE IS UNDER NON- DISCLOSURE
I'm quite aware of that

However, that hasn't stopped people from violating their NDA's in the past, especially in relation to OS updates, so one can be hopeful.

What I'm curious about is the fact that this is getting re-seeded; assuming it's based off of the graphics drivers included in the latest custom build macs, this shouldn't really be hard to release, unless they did a rewrite since then, and that's what really interests me the most, especially since you can already get those kexts.
darkplanets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Riemann Zeta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Really, who genuinely gives a **** about an NDA for a small graphic driver update? This isn't exactly a top secret, high-interest project--if anything, it is lower on the totem pole than a 10.6.x update.

Edit: why do we need the damn Ned-Flanderizing censor algorithm?
Riemann Zeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:06 PM   #13
macintoshtoffy
macrumors 6502a
 
macintoshtoffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplanets View Post
I'm quite aware of that

However, that hasn't stopped people from violating their NDA's in the past, especially in relation to OS updates, so one can be hopeful.

What I'm curious about is the fact that this is getting re-seeded; assuming it's based off of the graphics drivers included in the latest custom build macs, this shouldn't really be hard to release, unless they did a rewrite since then, and that's what really interests me the most, especially since you can already get those kexts.
That isn't correct - what you see in the custom builds was merely a stop gap measure to get the hardware out the door; what we see in the new seeds are major driver restructuring and optimisation; add to that it also includes OpenGL improvements by Apple - it is a massive update that will hopefully lead not only to better performance now but future hardware released the improved drivers will allow for the GPU to be utilised to its full capacity. I am wondering though to one degree Mac OS X 10.6.4 introduced some structural changes at the kernel level that requires the video drivers to be updated - that part of the problem when it comes to performance resides in the kernel but the changes also require changes to take place in the video drivers itself.

As for the release date I'd say at the earliest we'll probably it see it appear at the end of August, maybe mid September - at the end of the day it is a massive overhaul and the last thing you want happen is these drivers to ship and a whole heap of applications break and/or software vendors aren't given enough time to provide software updates to their customers for compatibility with the driver updates.
__________________
iMac 2.66Ghz 20inch w/ 4GB RAM; MacBook Pro 'Unibody' 2.53Ghz w/ 4GB RAM; Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard'; 160GB iPod Classic; 1TB Western Digital USB EXT Hard Disk
macintoshtoffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:00 AM   #14
bolen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post
That isn't correct - what you see in the custom builds was merely a stop gap measure to get the hardware out the door; what we see in the new seeds are major driver restructuring and optimisation; add to that it also includes OpenGL improvements by Apple - it is a massive update that will hopefully lead not only to better performance now but future hardware released the improved drivers will allow for the GPU to be utilised to its full capacity. I am wondering though to one degree Mac OS X 10.6.4 introduced some structural changes at the kernel level that requires the video drivers to be updated - that part of the problem when it comes to performance resides in the kernel but the changes also require changes to take place in the video drivers itself.

As for the release date I'd say at the earliest we'll probably it see it appear at the end of August, maybe mid September - at the end of the day it is a massive overhaul and the last thing you want happen is these drivers to ship and a whole heap of applications break and/or software vendors aren't given enough time to provide software updates to their customers for compatibility with the driver updates.
Are you guessing or do you know for a fact that:
what we see in the new seeds are major driver restructuring and optimisation; add to that it also includes OpenGL improvements by Apple - it is a massive update that will hopefully lead not only to better performance now but future hardware released the improved drivers will allow for the GPU to be utilised to its full capacity.

If this is true it's freaking GREAT. I believe the biggest problem is the OpenGL-implementation and its' surroundings, driver comes after that.
__________________
iMac 27" | i7 2.93GHz | 20GB DDR3 | HD5850 M | Samsung 830 256 GB
MacBook Pro 15" | i7 2.2 GHz | 8GB DDR3 | HD6750M | Samsung 840 500 GB
iPhone 5s | 64 GB
iPad Air | 32 GB | LTE
bolen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:33 AM   #15
Draeconis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen View Post
Are you guessing or do you know for a fact that:
what we see in the new seeds are major driver restructuring and optimisation; add to that it also includes OpenGL improvements by Apple - it is a massive update that will hopefully lead not only to better performance now but future hardware released the improved drivers will allow for the GPU to be utilised to its full capacity.

If this is true it's freaking GREAT. I believe the biggest problem is the OpenGL-implementation and its' surroundings, driver comes after that.
As I understand it, the implentation of OpenGL in OS X is out of date rather significantly. Hopefully this update tackles this and/or driver updates.
__________________
MacPro5,1 | W3670 | 16Gb RAM | 2x Intel SSDs | 8Tb ZFS pool | EVGA 680 GTX 2Gb | Sonnet Tempo
Draeconis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:18 AM   #16
painejake
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen View Post
If this is true it's freaking GREAT. I believe the biggest problem is the OpenGL-implementation and its' surroundings, driver comes after that.
I agree! I'm looking forward to this one for sure!
painejake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Riemann Zeta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
As I understand it, the implentation of OpenGL in OS X is out of date rather significantly. Hopefully this update tackles this and/or driver updates.
Apple's OpenGL implementation is certainly bizarre: it is best described as "OpenGL 2.1 & More." That is, for Mac OS 10.6, it is a complete implementation of OpenGL 2.1 with most of the features of the 3.0 API included. The only thing that is missing is a recent version of the GL Shading Language. If Apple would introduce version 1.3 of GLSL, they would have a complete OpenGL 3.0 framework.

But having feature-complete OpenGL 3.0 support doesn't have anything to do with rendering speed, which is generally considered dog-ass slow for gaming purposes. That's more of a driver issue.
Riemann Zeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:58 PM   #18
bolen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann Zeta View Post
Apple's OpenGL implementation is certainly bizarre: it is best described as "OpenGL 2.1 & More." That is, for Mac OS 10.6, it is a complete implementation of OpenGL 2.1 with most of the features of the 3.0 API included. The only thing that is missing is a recent version of the GL Shading Language. If Apple would introduce version 1.3 of GLSL, they would have a complete OpenGL 3.0 framework.

But having feature-complete OpenGL 3.0 support doesn't have anything to do with rendering speed, which is generally considered dog-ass slow for gaming purposes. That's more of a driver issue.
Thanks for the clarification. So the speed is only drivers you mean (and bad cider ports)?
__________________
iMac 27" | i7 2.93GHz | 20GB DDR3 | HD5850 M | Samsung 830 256 GB
MacBook Pro 15" | i7 2.2 GHz | 8GB DDR3 | HD6750M | Samsung 840 500 GB
iPhone 5s | 64 GB
iPad Air | 32 GB | LTE
bolen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:50 PM   #19
spillproof
macrumors 68020
 
spillproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
10.6.3 was unaffected by the graphics driver problem. 10.6.4 is.

I had to downgrade from 10.6.4, which was a pain. But, something tells me 10.6.5 will be out soon, so you might as well just wait to hear the official report.
Thank you, sir for that great information.
__________________
I don't know what to put here.
spillproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:14 PM   #20
Žalgiris
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lithuania
I hope Apple add full support for OpenGL 4, because now it doesn't look good. No full OpenGL 3 in 2010? I hope 10.7 brings some hardcore changes.
Žalgiris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:34 AM   #21
Ovah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I pray to god that this Graphics update contains better drivers for games like StarCraft II which is unplayable on even the best Mac specs.
Ovah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:32 AM   #22
Plasmastrike
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovah View Post
I pray to god that this Graphics update contains better drivers for games like StarCraft II which is unplayable on even the best Mac specs.
This sums my opinion up perfectly. (Core i7 w/ 330M here and can only play on Low/Low settings)

EDIT: Unless I jack down the resolution to that of an iBook.

Last edited by Plasmastrike; Aug 14, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Plasmastrike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:35 PM   #23
Peaceful
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovah View Post
I pray to god that this Graphics update contains better drivers for games like StarCraft II which is unplayable on even the best Mac specs.
In general, turn shaders, lighting, and shadows to low for SCII.

In detail, someone compiled an excellent per-system guide to SCII tuning for specific macs: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/224842575

It won't look as good, of course, but following the guide should get you ~50-60fps on any relatively modern mac hardware.
Peaceful is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:01 PM   #24
Gata
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovah View Post
I pray to god that this Graphics update contains better drivers for games like StarCraft II which is unplayable on even the best Mac specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmastrike View Post
This sums my opinion up perfectly. (Core i7 w/ 330M here and can only play on Low/Low settings)

EDIT: Unless I jack down the resolution to that of an iBook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful View Post
In general, turn shaders, lighting, and shadows to low for SCII.

In detail, someone compiled an excellent per-system guide to SCII tuning for specific macs: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/224842575

It won't look as good, of course, but following the guide should get you ~50-60fps on any relatively modern mac hardware.
There was a topic in the Macbook Pro Forum where a member with a 13" w/ 320m was able to get 50-60 fps out of SCII while having it look fairly good.

His fix also works for the MBPs with the 330m.

Link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...starcraft+320m

Worked like a charm.
Gata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 02:52 PM   #25
appleguy123
macrumors 603
 
appleguy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 15 minutes in the future
I wonder if this will fix my issue with Java based games of the 9400m.
__________________
[Steve Jobs was] brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it. -Barack Obama
appleguy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Seeds First OS X 10.9.2 Build to Developers [Update: Includes FaceTime Audio] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 110 Jan 23, 2014 09:35 PM
Apple Seeds OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F36 to Developers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 68 Sep 13, 2013 01:10 AM
Apple Seeds OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F17 to Developers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 51 Aug 13, 2013 09:28 PM
Apple Releases Security Update 2013-001 for Snow Leopard and Lion MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 37 Apr 1, 2013 12:38 AM
Apple Seeds First Build of OS X 10.8.1 to Developers MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 145 Aug 23, 2012 08:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC