Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0sync0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Just got my iPad and loaded several epubs on it. One of them goes back to page 1 whenever I exit and open it again. I tried saving bookmarks and they all go to the first page also.

This epub works fine in the ereader on my Android.

stil

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Maybe there is something wrong with that particular epub. Did you get the book through iBooks or some other source.

As far as I know iPad buyers can and will read Kindle books. My prediction is that more Kindle books will be read on the iPad in 2010 than will iBook books. But propping up the market for e-ink devices is not where the action will be.

Kindle books are not available for everyone in every country and you can only use the Kindle app with Kindle books. iBooks purchasing is available in even less countries but with the iBooks app you can load epub books from other sources. It's not just a matter of switching from iBooks to Kindle for many people.

0sync0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Maybe there is something wrong with that particular epub. Did you get the book through iBooks or some other source.
It was converted from another source in Calibre.

I installed Stanza and it works fine with that.

dstunbound

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
I'm having the same issue and it's driving me nuts. No matter how many times I convert a specific book (from LIT) in Calibre and then upload it into iBooks, it never saves my position. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
One of the 35 or so books I've read in iBooks so far was doing something like that. It wouldn't go back to page 1 but to some point I'd stopped at earlier, and bookmarking did work, but it was annoying to have to keep making bookmarks (this was before the app update that made it easier to bookmark). It came as an epub, but not from the iBookstore. It was the only one I had problems with...knock wood.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
As far as I know iPad buyers can and will read Kindle books. My prediction is that more Kindle books will be read on the iPad in 2010 than will iBook books. But propping up the market for e-ink devices is not where the action will be.

The beauty thing about the iPad is that you don't have to choose just one. You have have them all!

I personally use the Kindle app much more than iBook but only because iBook has terrible selection in Canada and the books they do have are much more expensive (like $11.99 vs $9.99/7.99) than Amazon.

Plus, If I do end up getting a Kindle soon I will be able to share the books between all the devices.

iBook is a little too restrictive at this point (iPad only)

johnsen9000

Suspended
Feb 24, 2014
This is probably because you have two copies of your book on your computer with the same name. The other copy you have is probably in a cloud system (dropbox?)?. The thing that worked for me was to simply rename my book.

For some strange reason, iBook don't do this, and you can't do a lot of things in ibook that you should have been allowed (rename title if no title is found, or mixed up), but this is the stupidest mistake. Rename your file, and it will probably work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.