Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:54 PM   #1
JH-
macrumors 6502

Continuously Kicked Out of Recovery Mode

So I downgraded my iPhone 3G to 3.1.3 to reduce the slowness of 4.0. Used recboot to kick it out at the end of the restore process and everything was golden. However then I thought why not just restore all the way back down to 3.0.1 to enable tethering again. So I tried to do that.

When I do this my iPhone will not stay in recovery mode or DFU mode long enough for the restore process to start. I can't even upgrade to 4.0.2. I have succesfully gotten it into both recovery and DFU but it won't stay there. It reboots fine and everything still works I just can't upgrade or downgrade anymore. I thought of using recboot to get it into recovery mode and keep it there however I can't do that because of a ASL.dll not found error. Ideas?
JH- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Could the problem be the baseband? Try restoring to 3.0.1 without upgrading the baseband (use PwnageTool to make a custom firmware).
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:00 PM   #3
JH-
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I can't restore to anything because the iPhone won't stay in recovery mode long enough. I can't upgrade either as I stated above.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6

Then you must not be putting it into DFU mode correctly. Just let iTunes deal with the starting of the iPhone. Don't touch it until the restore process is complete.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:06 PM   #5
JH-
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm putting it into DFU correctly. I hold the home button for ten seconds with the sleep/wake button. Then release sleep/wake while holding home until it pops up in iTunes. Then it gets all the way to preparing iPhone for restore on the iTunes screen before it gets kicked out.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Intell
macrumors P6

What error message does iTunes give you?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:08 PM   #7
celticpride678

Is iTunes giving you an error or does it just freeze?
celticpride678 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:15 PM   #8
JH-
macrumors 6502

Error 21
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:16 PM   #9
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH- View Post
Error 21
I believe that is a Hardware error. Might need a replacement if you are under any warranty.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:18 PM   #10
JH-
macrumors 6502

Haha. Warranty on a 3G? I wish.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:19 PM   #11
Intell
macrumors P6

A few things, can you try the restore on another computer? Is the iPhone connected to your computer via a USB hub, if yes try a direct connection. And try redownloading the IPSW, the one you have may be corrupt.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:20 PM   #12
JH-
macrumors 6502

Tried all three of those and nothing works.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:25 PM   #13
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Some buy the Applecare, like I said "if".

Good luck

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:26 PM   #14
celticpride678

Quote:
Error 21
Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.

You can still try other possible solutions here:

http://itsalltech.com/2010/07/08/fix...estore-issues/
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:46 AM   #15
JH-
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard
Quote:
Some buy the Applecare, like I said "if".

Good luck
I apologize for that. Looking at my post this morning it was rude. I've seen you help a lot of people on these forums and was just tired and ornery at my own stupid phone. Thanks for trying to help.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:23 PM   #16
dbussert
macrumors newbie

I have this exact same problem. Downgraded my 3GS from 4.0.1 to 3.1.2, used Recboot to get our of recovery mode. Didn't realize my data wouldn't copy back to 3.x so I upgraded back to 4.0.1, got my data, went back to 3.1.2 no problem. Then tried to upgrade to 3.1.3 and I cannot keep my phone in DFU or Recovery mode, will flash a white screen and reboot itself. Phone works totally normal otherwise though.
dbussert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:03 PM   #17
dbussert
macrumors newbie

Of course I post this, then on my next attempt, maybe 15th, it took and worked. I'm on 3.1.3 now.
dbussert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:23 PM   #18
TheConfuzed1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheConfuzed1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussert View Post
Of course I post this, then on my next attempt, maybe 15th, it took and worked. I'm on 3.1.3 now.
Congrats. Sometimes persistance is the key.

Especially when you are pulling your sleeves up and digging in to run unsupported hacks.
GameCenter: theconfuzed1
TheConfuzed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:31 PM   #19
sp00nfed
macrumors newbie

i have this same problem with my 3g. i see people saying that its timing, but i dont understand. i get a popnote saying that i am in DFU mode, and that new hardware is installed (i am winXP). it states clearly that i am in DFU. i know because it doesnt say that all the time, and i'm know im in recovery mode. so when i get a black iphone screen, and my computer says "yes you are in DFU" then i'd assume i'm in DFU.

i go to back up to 3.1.3 and the phone reboots and i get error 21. i'm not hacking, i dont want to JB my phone, i just want this plague of an OS off my phone.

ugh.

anyone have any idea at all?
sp00nfed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:33 PM   #20
celticpride678

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00nfed View Post
i have this same problem with my 3g. i see people saying that its timing, but i dont understand. i get a popnote saying that i am in DFU mode, and that new hardware is installed (i am winXP). it states clearly that i am in DFU. i know because it doesnt say that all the time, and i'm know im in recovery mode. so when i get a black iphone screen, and my computer says "yes you are in DFU" then i'd assume i'm in DFU.

i go to back up to 3.1.3 and the phone reboots and i get error 21. i'm not hacking, i dont want to JB my phone, i just want this plague of an OS off my phone.

ugh.

So, you're on iOS 4?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:34 PM   #21
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00nfed View Post
Yes, try looking at the link that was posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride678 View Post
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:27 AM   #22
sp00nfed
macrumors newbie

while i do appreciate you pointing out the obvious, i was more looking for technical issues that i might not be aware of, instead of flushing out goblins from my processor. i was told that a 3g phone of a certain generation would have its new ios4 partition from keeping it from ever being able to downgrade. i understand that rebooting my computer might help (it didnt help) or maybe try loading it on another computer (it didnt help) or holding it firmly in my right hand and cursing at it (it didnt help).

when i google this issue, thousands (and i do mean thousands) of people have exactly the same issue i have. and no one seems to have an answer short of "doing it wrong" or "rtfm".

what i am looking for is actual knowledge about known problems with downgrading.

now, if all i can use is said link for vague troubleshooting, then i really appreciate the relink. maybe i'll try a few different things and if i am lucky enough to get it to work, i'll post back. and hopefully someone as frustrated and lost as i was will get the motivation to keep trying.

cheers,
d
sp00nfed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:19 PM   #23
nevs
macrumors newbie

im also having this problem

iPhone 3GS, downgraded from 4.0.2 ~> 4.0.1 and cannot activate

i put my phone in DFU mode and as soon as itunes picks it up my phone reboots

once loaded into emergency screen (un-activated) itunes wont let me restore.

so now im stuck..
nevs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:01 PM   #24
Mrpra
macrumors newbie

Reasons for being kicked out of recovery mood is.........

The main reason why u keep getting kicked out of recovery mood when plugged up to itunes is because you have a malfunction USB cable...You need to change the Iphone Usb wire and you should be good to go.Trust me it solved my problem.I believe your cable is slighty damaged although it still reads Itune.

Last edited by Mrpra; Apr 5, 2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: misspellling
Mrpra is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks