Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Gartner today published a report covering worldwide mobile phone sales to end users for the second quarter of 2010. Gartner's data shows Apple again placing seventh among all mobile phone manufacturers with the same 2.7% market share it held last quarter and up from 1.9% in the year-ago quarter. Motorola's continuing decline in sales dropped it to 2.8% share for the quarter, managing to stay fewer than 400,000 units ahead of Apple in the race for sixth place.

111410-gartner_2Q10_mobile_phones.png

Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales in 2Q10 in Thousands of Units (Source: Gartner)
Noting constraint supplies and of course reduced customer demand ahead of the iPhone 4 launch at the very end of the quarter, Gartner reports that Apple seems well-positioned to ride the iPhone 4 momentum through the remainder of the year.
Apple's sales would have been higher if it had not had to face tight inventory management in preparation for the arrival of the iPhone 4 at the end of the second quarter of 2010. Apple also suffered from some supply constraint on the new device. We expect that a wider global rollout of iPhone 4 will sustain Apple's sales momentum throughout the second half of 2010.
In looking specifically at smartphones, which now make up 19% of total mobile phone sales (a figure that is up 50% year-over-year), Apple captured 14.2% of the market, up slightly from 13.0% in the year-ago quarter but down from 15.3% sequentially.

111410-gartner_2Q10_smartphones.png

Worldwide Smartphone Sales in 2Q10 in Thousands of Units (Source: Gartner)
The big winner, however, was Google's Android platform, which surged past iOS into third place among smartphone platforms with 17.2% of the market, up from just 1.8% in the year-ago quarter and 9.6% in the first quarter of this year. Long-time market leader Symbian is continuing its slide as it has been unable to keep up with overall industry growth, down to 41.2% but still more than double its closest competitor, Research in Motion. Research in Motion is, however, also slipping a bit, with its 18.2% of the market just barely holding off Android.

Observers will of course be interested in Apple's performance during the third quarter, as it offers the company an opportunity for a full quarter's worth of sales with the new iPhone 4, although continuing supply constraints could hold the company back somewhat from its potential top-end performance.

Article Link: Apple Sneaks Up on Motorola in Mobile Phone Sales, Android Surges Past iOS

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well, it would make sense that Android will capture a larger market share given the sheer number of manufacturers making devices.

However, I have yet to meet a single person who uses an Android based handset. Not that *my* social circle counts for anything, but the smartphones that I personally see in people's hands are either RIM or Apple devices... so far.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
However, I have yet to meet a single person who uses an Android based handset. Not that *my* social circle counts for anything, but the smartphones that I personally see in people's hands are either RIM or Apple devices... so far.

Same here. If anyone I know is using an android they are hiding it. Almost everyone uses RIM and a smaller percentage use Apple, that I know.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I Love to hear how the RDF at Apple and Fanbois here spin this.

If Steve really cares about his new "baby" the iPhone 4 as he said at WWDC X then Apple will Open the iPhone up to Verizon or Sprint (Both use CDMA) and t-Mobile.

Im an Apple fan, but if Apple cares about competing for Share in the Mobile Space, they'll need more carriers.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
First, its false to put iOS there (since it doesn't seem to include iPod Touches...I will ignore the iPad, since it uses a different store).

Second, false comparison, since this is largely an iPhone 4 free period. The problem is the Osborne effect was in full flow here.

Third, Android doesn't have any direct competition yet (there is hardly any other OS that is available to all manufacturers). Things will be more interesting when Windows Phone 7 comes out.

Fourth, I am curious if this includes the BOGO that carriers have been doing with Android...

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
First, its false to put iOS there (since it doesn't seem to include iPod Touches...I will ignore the iPad, since it uses a different store).

It's a report about mobile phones, so it would be false to include iPod Touches. It's also comparing what OS the smartphones run, in which case iOS is completely accurate.

Fourth, I am curious if this includes the BOGO that carriers have been doing with Android...

People always bring up this particular offer as if it were a bad thing. You do realize that BOGO offers work specifically because the device is desirable, right? It also the carrier that is giving the phone away for free, not the device manufacturer.

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
We have a few people at our place using Android - but most have an iPhone. Don't see what people like about the Android platform. Seems very clunky in comparison.

willy-wonkapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
i know lots of people who use android devices and i know lots of people who use iphones, like me. here's to open, tho! android ftw!

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Same here too..

Weirdly, I have seen more Pre's than I have Androids in the wild!

That obviously makes no sense, and its only value is in showing the uselessness of anecdotes, but I think its a funny nugget.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
that reminds me of the DOS vs Mac vs. Atari vs. Commodore story from 25 years ago.

The system that was open and would run on any hardware was the one that succeded. iOS seems to have the same problem with Android now.

Andriod is open and runs on any platform. Hence it gets more sold devices and down the road more and better software and then better adoption in the business world.

I hope the iOS platform has enough of a headstart and a big enough user base to remain significant.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
As a platform, Android will be the winner due to Google's ability to drive network effects. Clearly, the number of manufacturers making devices for Android far exceeds the what Apple can dream to achieve.

More devices and choices will in turn encourage consumers and businesses to adopt Android thereby kicking network effects into gear. Of course, the developers making apps are a key as well.

This reminds me of the Windows vs. Mac OS battle in the 80's/90's. It's likely to play out in a similar fashion.

Apple's end-to-end approach might once again leave them behind in term of adoption and market share despite a far superior user experience.

Shodan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
Android, you mean that OS spammed across plastic underspecification mobile phones?

Dead uninterested.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Where I am, I see a LOT of iPhones and BlackBerrys, and not as many Android phones. But then again, I'm pretty sure that the reason why Google has most of the smartphone OS marketshare is that it's a platform that allows installation on multiple types of devices. It's kind of like Windows vs Mac OS.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I think Android is a good product and if there was no iOS, I would have an Android device. I certainly hope that they have a bigger marketshare since they are on all carriers and have several manufacturers plus the buy one get one free deal. Pick what works for your specific needs. I choose Apple.

I am not lying when I say that my friend Monica wants an iPhone just for one thing, Angry Birds.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
i know lots of people who use android devices and i know lots of people who use iphones, like me. here's to open, tho! android ftw!

Sure. Open, until you start touching Google's revenues (see Cyanogen). Or you start touching Verizon's revenues (see bricking of the new Droid phone when trying to root it).

But what is even worse is that the "openness" of Android has essentially cost us net-neutrality. If it wasn't for Android, I promise you there would have been no Google-Verizon "proposal" that was just a whole bunch of loopholes without anything else.

If that didn't caution people against sucking up to google's teat, I am not sure what will.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I Love to hear how the RDF at Apple and Fanbois here spin this.

If Steve really cares about his new "baby" the iPhone 4 as he said at WWDC X then Apple will Open the iPhone up to Verizon or Sprint (Both use CDMA) and t-Mobile.

Im an Apple fan, but if Apple cares about competing for Share in the Mobile Space, they'll need more carriers.

A) Apple is already "competing" as they're only a few % off. It'll be interesting to see what happens in another quarter or two.
B) Apple doesn't need to have 100% of the market to have a successful product. I think the iPhone has been way, way more successful than Apple ever anticipated.
C) Apple has but one carrier in the US and essentially two models for sale vs. multiple handsets on virtually every carrier for Android - this is where Android's real advantage shows.

I'd like to see a breakdown of marketshare where the iPhone is available on multiple carriers versus either total Android marketshare or simply US marketshare (again, as there's only one carrier in the US).

Not being a Fanboi trying to spin the data; just looking for further truth. Not that it actually matters.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Well, it would make sense that Android will capture a larger market share given the sheer number of manufacturers making devices.

i'm on the NYC subway everyday and i see more iphone 4's than Android phones. but if someone asks me for advice i'll tell them that the functionality is 90% the same so it doesn't matter which one you get. iphone, droid or EVO.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If Apple wanted to WIN, all it has to do is make the iPhone available on T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Clearly, thats all they have to do. If apparent, they don't care about that as of now.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
Same here. If anyone I know is using an android they are hiding it. Almost everyone uses RIM and a smaller percentage use Apple, that I know.

I've seen exactly 1 android phone being used "in the flesh". I don't know who is buying all of these. Everyone I see has an iPhone, or some random other phone, but not android. They must be around though, as these numbers aren't made-up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.