Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1
borntomac448
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 Overheating with Otterbox Defender Installed

I have had an otter box on my iPhone 4 for about two weeks and have noticed that the phone has been overheating about every other day. I reboot daily, and work in a cool office environment. A matter of fact it sits on a cool glasstop desk. Have any of you heard of this? Please help. Thanking you all in advance.
borntomac448 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

The case is built like a fortress. I'm not surprised that the phone is overheating.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:16 PM   #3
vivithemage
macrumors 6502a

Was this ever a problem with the 3GS?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:07 PM   #4
mlts22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntomac448 View Post
I have had an otter box on my iPhone 4 for about two weeks and have noticed that the phone has been overheating about every other day. I reboot daily, and work in a cool office environment. A matter of fact it sits on a cool glasstop desk. Have any of you heard of this? Please help. Thanking you all in advance.
That is odd, because I use an Otterbox Defender case on my iPhone 4, have been for a couple weeks, and have had no issues with this whatsoever.
mlts22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:25 PM   #5
borntomac448
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
I never had this problem with the 3gs. The phone is not hot when I take it out of the case to check after I get the warning. It is cool.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Irish Rose
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage
I don't think it was. My bother uses an otter box case on his 3GS, and doesn't have any overheating issues.
Irish Rose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:38 PM   #7
UCLAKoolman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What do you mean by overheating? As in the actual warning screen appears on your phone? My iPhone 4 gets quite warm when I play a graphically intensive game for 30 min, or if I walk outside in the AZ heat while on the phone.

Compared to the 3GS, the iPhone 4 is a much slimmer device. I'm sure you'd be more likely to feel the heat generated from it's battery.
UCLAKoolman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:15 PM   #8
borntomac448
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post
What do you mean by overheating? As in the actual warning screen appears on your phone? My iPhone 4 gets quite warm when I play a graphically intensive game for 30 min, or if I walk outside in the AZ heat while on the phone.

Compared to the 3GS, the iPhone 4 is a much slimmer device. I'm sure you'd be more likely to feel the heat generated from it's battery.
I get the warning. The phone is actually cool when I get the warning.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:26 PM   #9
UCLAKoolman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's not good! The defender is the toughest case out there, but if it's causing your phone to heat up... that stinks.
UCLAKoolman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Tom G.
macrumors 65816

I use the Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4 and have not had one bit of trouble.

I also used it on my iPhone 3Gs and had no problem there either.

I work in an un-airconditions work place where the temp today was 91 with a heat index of 102 degrees and had no problems. I've also used my iPhone 4 on GPS while geocaching and had it on for long periods of time, plugged into the cigarette lighter and although the phone felt a little warm no warnings came up. It was of course at the time in its Otterbox Defender case.

I think you have troubles elsewhere.
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:50 PM   #11
Jayman34187
Banned

Put the case on this way not that way
Jayman34187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Unteligent1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I never had this problem with the 3gs. The phone is not hot when I take it out of the case to check after I get the warning. It is cool.
I would say this means it is a problem with the phone, and has nothing to do with the case. Maybe problems with the temp sensor?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:26 PM   #13
TruckdriverSean
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntomac448
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post

I would try running the phone for a few days in a regular case to see if the problem continues.

Sounds like a phone problem to me, but that will help rule out the case.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Sherifftruman
macrumors 6502

I know I remember seeing a fair number of posts from people right after the iPhone 4 came out with similar issues. Phone said it was overheating, yet it felt cool to teh touch, even without a case. I bet there is some number with faulty sensors and coincidentally, yours is one. I would return it.
Sherifftruman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories