Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1
illiniry
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to illiniry
Best real-time location sharing app for iPhone 4?

Google Latitude is pretty awesome as a native app for other phones but it sucks on the iPhone because it's only web-based. As far as I know, you have to refresh Safari manually to update your location, and I believe this means you have to open Safari and refresh it even with multitasking support.

Anyone know of any apps that run in the background and update your location using GPS? I've seen the navi ones but those don't allow anyone else to see where you are in real-time. I'm looking for something where anyone can go online and track my location without me having to update it manually.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?
illiniry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
phreebsd
macrumors regular

if you are jailbroken there are several offerings of google latitude apps.
that's all they do is sit in the back ground and update your location based on the intervals you set.
phreebsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:12 PM   #3
illiniry
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreebsd View Post
if you are jailbroken there are several offerings of google latitude apps.
that's all they do is sit in the back ground and update your location based on the intervals you set.
Not jailbroken. Seems like Loopt and Twinkle are possibilities, not sure though.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:25 PM   #4
critic81
macrumors regular

Google latitude IS awesome. And you should continue to use it on the iPhone. Download Latitudie and it will update your location in the background. If you want to view where your friends are, visit the Latitude mobile site. Also in the next version of Latitudie you will be able to see your friends on there. It's currently in the review process now. So check it out. I love it!
critic81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:14 PM   #5
illiniry
macrumors member

Oh wow, kudos to you sir, that's exactly what I wanted. Beautiful!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:42 PM   #6
critic81
macrumors regular

Glad to help. I keep mine on cell based location and see zero battery impact. And it updates all the time and is pretty accurate. Have fun!
critic81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Kpad
macrumors newbie

This newer app is better

I've been using Latitude for a while, like this new app (Now-Find your friends) much much better. Don't have to deal with Google pushing check-ins and whatnot on me.

Currently have both on iPhone 4. Both are free. But find myself using the now app more. It feels like it was designed for the iPhone while Latitude feels like it was designed for Android.

URLs for each:

Latitude: www.google.com/latitude

Now: www.now.co
Kpad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:23 PM   #8
zuckas
macrumors newbie

zLocation - We just published a new location sharing app

The app is called zLocation and it's currently only available for the iOS devices. You can download it from the App Store here http://itunes.apple.com/app/zlocatio...ign-mpt=uo%3D5

Or you can check out http://zlocation.com from your iOS device. We are working on the Android version at the moment and it should be available in the Google Play store very soon. Hope you like it. It's simple, safe, it does not require signing up for an account.
zuckas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps