Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyersdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Has anyone been able to connect the iPhone 4 to a TV via RCA cable? It didn't work with iOS3, I'm wondering if it works now with iOS4. Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It does work on iOS 3, with the Apple dock to composite adapter. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the iPhone 4 as well.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
There are some non Apple cables that do work. These cables have the authentication chip within them the allow them to work with iPhones and other newer iPods.

How do they replicate the chip that apple made?
I know the one I bought has the chip and so far it works great even after updating the ios a few times.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
How do they replicate the chip that apple made?
I know the one I bought has the chip and so far it works great even after updating the ios a few times.

They license it from Apple. So Apple still gets their cut of the pie.

samone

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Does anybody know if the apple one works only for movies or can you see and hear native apps like YouTube or safari clips on your tv or car tv screens also does pandora stream thru it on you tv or monitors???

Thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can use the Apple one to watch YouTube and view Photos with. There are some other apps that support it, but the developers must incorporate that functionality. As for audio, yes this works on your tv regardless of the app, but the video may not (see previous sentence).

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Does anybody know if the apple one works only for movies or can you see and hear native apps like YouTube or safari clips on your tv or car tv screens also does pandora stream thru it on you tv or monitors???

Thanks

YouTube works, movies saved onto the phone, photos, video sites that work on iPhone safari (not all).

The air video app also works so you can stream movies from your computer to the phone and watch it on tv :)

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
apple cables work for videos, youtube and picture slideshows

I'm having a problem though where the iphone 4 + iphone dock + cables do not output video

but just the iphone 4 + av cables do output

will look into this later

btw jaibroken phone + av cables = complete mirroring ( what you seen on the screen is what you get on your tv)

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Maybe this is a stupid question, but can you view programs that you bought off of iTunes with said cables? HD, perhaps?

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Can someone else confirm this??? Does it work on a jailbroken iPhone 4??

Thanks

Why would anyone else need to confirm this ?
(In other words where is your paranoia coming from ? )

I am using $50 dollar apple AV cables with the $30 Apple dock
everything was bought brand new from apple
everything works

the problem is there is a lack of communication between the dock and the chip on the cable

You want confirmation, go spend $80 and come back
(the point of forums is to share information so that you can learn from other people's mistakes)

I tested the cables/dock and got similar results with a os 4.0 and jailbroken phone ( obviously though output is limited with a stock phone )

FireEater

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
Bump for a question.

I watch Netflix movies on my iPhone 4 when I'm working at the Fire Station for my 24 hour shift.

Do these cables mentioned work with Netflix streaming movies so we can watch them on the TV?

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Bump for a question.

I watch Netflix movies on my iPhone 4 when I'm working at the Fire Station for my 24 hour shift.

Do these cables mentioned work with Netflix streaming movies so we can watch them on the TV?

Thanks!

Yes, but Netflix only allows streaming via a video out cable on 4G iDevices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.