Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Well it's really more of a first impression, since only time and a few hearty drops will allow me to truly 'review' the unit.

I received my Seidio Innocase II Surface and holster (ordered together in a combo package) in the mail today and have been able to put her through the paces during a typical day of work at the hospital.

For a little bit of background, I have purchased every generation of iPhone on launch day and never used a case. Sadly, my iPhone is only an iPod Touch if not in a case protected from the Death Touch (it's NOT a death GRIP people if it only takes a single finger to obliterate all cell service!). I love the design of the iPhone but detest idea of putting it in a plastic shell. So when I knew a case would be my only solution to the reception problem, I figured money was no object and I had to find the best case available. Your case needs may be different, but for me, I needed a case that was still very slim yet offered good protection from waist-high drops. In addition, since I work in scrubs at a hospital all day, I needed something that could be worn on my belt. I hate those standard pleather belt holster that slide the iPhone in and out...a belt clip holster is what I needed.

My only prior experience with Seidio was on a HTC Droid Incredible that I briefly used for work when I became fed up with AT&T. At that time, I also used the Innocase II Surface for a couple months and was ecstatic with its build quality, durability and protection. So when I knew I had to have an iPhone 4, I knew I had to have another Innocase.

So after spending everyday with a bumper, my Innocase finally arrived today and first impressions are fantastic. In my opinion, Seidio makes the highest quality slim case available. A close second would be Otterbox, but they don't offer the sleek case and custom holster that you get with Seidio.

The case comes in two pieces as molded plastic that snap together when slid onto the phone. Installation is a breeze and you get a surprisingly firm *snap* when the two sides interlock assuring you that they won't come apart when pulled from your pocket--although only time will tell how well this works in real life, I have confidence that it won't be an issue...after all, I never had a single issue of my Innocase separating on my Droid Incredible. In addition, the inside of the case is lined with felt giving it better grip on the iPhone.

The texture on the outside of the case is very difficult to describe and really has to be felt to be understood. It's really a soft-ish yet very firm plastic...I know that makes no sense, shhh, but that's what it feels like. I love it.

Once on the phone, the Innocase remains very slim and fits well in the hand. I was actually surpirsed when I looked at the pics as it looks thicker than it feels in the hand. It's not going to be the thinness of the Feather case, but it will provide a bevel over the front of the phone protecting it when you set it face down. It also doesn't provide the extreme protection of the Defender...but unless you talk on your phone while rock climbing, that case seems overkill for 99.9% of the population. The cutouts for the camera, flash, volume, power, and silent switch are just perfect.

One thing I hate about silicone cases and even most 2-3 piece cases is that the layer closest to the phone is usually made out of a silicon or gel-like substance. This material is flimsy and flops or slides with any thumb pressure...like when you're typing. The firm plastic of the Innocase means this will never happen and gives the phone a much more solid and sturdy feel.

dsc2460.jpg

dsc2462c.jpg

dsc2465i.jpg

dsc2466.jpg

dsc2467.jpg

dsc2468.jpg

dsc2473x.jpg

dsc2474j.jpg

Once in the holster, you continue to understand the attention to detail and forgive them for taking so long to ship the case! It snaps perfectly into the holster with a little pressure without having to manually raise the lever. Once in, it's not coming out. The holster was designed only for this case and the fit couldn't be more tight. It's oh so easy to pop the iPhone on and off your belt with one hand and no eyes.

dsc2475s.jpg

dsc2476.jpg

dsc2477.jpg

dsc2479.jpg

dsc2480.jpg

And finally here are some pics comparing it next to a standard iPhone bumper...

dsc2482a.jpg

dsc2483.jpg

...And a naked iPhone.

dsc2485.jpg

dsc2487.jpg

So all-in-all, what do I think? Well I've had the Seidio case webpage bookmarked since the iPhone was launched waiting for the preorders to go live...I ordered within a couple hours of preorders going up...and have been (impatiently) waiting since then. Was it worth the wait? Absolutely. For me, this as close to the perfect iPhone case as it'll come.

Slim. Good protection. Feels great in the hand. Fits perfectly in a custom holster. I love it.

9.8/10.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Strange how they decided to do the cut out for the flash and camera. Does this type of cut our prevent the common wash out effect that most cases exhibit?

Blaenk

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
Well I've had the Seidio case webpage bookmarked since the iPhone was launched waiting for the preorders to go live...I ordered within a couple hours of preorders going up...and have been (impatiently) waiting since then.

LOL, I thought I was the only one. Not only did I have it bookmarked, it was an open tab this whole time and I would check up on it. I have no experience with Seidio though, so I did my best to hold myself from buying compulsively and wait until I saw a review. I'm glad your review reinforces my initial thoughts.

Although, sorry, but I must be the one to ask the dreaded 'any flash issues'? Question.

In the previous pictures (maybe pre-rendered, or prototypes) the camera and flash had one hole on the case, so it seemed like there wouldn't be any problems. However, in the final case, there's a thin separator between the camera hole and the flash hole, and I fear this may cause some problems. But then again, the case is black, so maybe not.

Would you be kind enough to test? Simply take some pictures with the flash on and post them so we could see if there is any washing out of the color. Even if it's there, if it's minor, I will gladly still buy the case as it seems like the best one out there right now.

It's sad that I've had to wait till now to get a good case, what is it, like almost two months since the iPhone 4 came out, glad I didn't jump in before then though.

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
I'd also be interested to know if you use any sort of screen protector and, if so, were there any issues with the case causing it to bubble?

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
This case looks just as fugly in real world pics. Why did they deviate from their original design??

Why!? It was my favorite case. This is far from a "almost perfect" case. Looks bulky while the old version was thin, and that design HAS TO cause flash issues.

Blaenk

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
Actually, now that I think about it, I think the separator between the camera and the flash will NOT have wash out issues. Think about it. The reason they were occurring before was because the light would reflect off of the edges which were too close to the flash, and bounce into the camera, altering the end result (i.e., instead of the flash bouncing off the subject and into the camera, it was also bouncing off the case and into the camera). Having the separator pretty much negates this issue completely.

I'll wait for the official word from the OP, or myself when I receive the case I ordered, but it seems like a pretty clever and simple solution to me.

Errz

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
possible to do a video review on how it works on belt? I've never use Seidio Holster b4 . so not sure how convenient or easy it is to take out the phone

LAS22

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
thanks op for the review and pictures.

but for taking this long you'd think they would've come out with a better product....? just by looking at these pictures...flash cut out looks like it will be an issue, holster latch sticks out like a sore thumb, holster bottom blocks a [very] small portion of the speaker and looks a little thicker than they claim...i rate a 6.5/10.

my .02

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I have the spring clip holster for use with non-cased device. I agree with you about the holster latch (spring clip part). It is a bit large. Why couldn't they make it smaller? When the holster is on your side, the spring clip does not look as large. Maybe it's an optical illusion? Other than that minor complaint, I love the holster. It's slim, easy one hand access to the device and a well built accessory. Had one for my 3GS.

thanks op for the review and pictures.

but for taking this long you'd think they would've come out with a better product....? just by looking at these pictures...flash cut out looks like it will be an issue, holster latch sticks out like a sore thumb, holster bottom blocks a [very] small portion of the speaker and looks a little thicker than they claim...i rate a 6.5/10.

my .02

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
Moving this back to the top to thank the OP and to voice my concerns about the flash. Overall I like the look of the case, save the side cutout, but can't believe they did that to back flash and camera. My favorite case maker. :(

GDVI

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Awesome review!

Just curious, have you tried to use the Bumper with the holster? If it works can you post pics?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
This case looks just as fugly in real world pics. Why did they deviate from their original design??

Why!? It was my favorite case. This is far from a "almost perfect" case. Looks bulky while the old version was thin, and that design HAS TO cause flash issues.

I agree with most of what you said. While I don't think this case is fugly, I do agree that the original design was much better. Once they updated the old Innocase II Surface case so that the logo cutout had the clear protective film, the case was almost perfect for me. I did order this version and it's on its way to me so I'm hoping that it's not as bulky as it looks in these pictures (close-up shots tend to make the cases look thicker than they really are). I do think it's going to be bulkier than the old version though, and I still have my old one to compare it to once the new one comes. I hope I'm wrong and that the case is nice and thin because I really don't have a need for a bulky case.

nyisles84

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
yup i've used a Sedio case for my past 2 or 3 phones. Had this ordered and now just cancelled. They really dropped the ball on the design of this one. Sucks, cause I was holding out all this time for one.

Thanks for the review though.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
just received my surface case. I'm extremely disappointed. There was a blue scratch on the back of the case and the case is extremely bulky. The felt on the interior was lifted on the corner and folded up. It's almost as if the case was used already. I will be returning this case. I've heard only good things about seidio so I'm a little surprised.

I also wanted to add, that the case is not a perfect tight fit. If I put the phone in and shake the phone moves slightly.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I've used Seidio cases for a long time for both RIM and Apple products and I'm also a little disapointed in the latest iP4 design. If it were more like the incase slider design but with the same cut outs they have now it would be a much better case and combo.

For now I'm using my iP4 Naked with the swivel clip and like it just fine. The swivel case does fit very well. The Seidio case feels too big in my hand and there is too much covering on the iP4 screen. I don't like the squared off case feeling either even tho the iP4 is squared off compared to previous versions.

The incase slider (black) actually fits in the swivel clip holder but it's a little lose and certainly not made for it.

Seidio if your reading this Thread please take a good hard look at the incase slider design and consider making changes to your current line.

Below is the incase slider i refer to

Attachments

• iphone4-slider-case1.jpg
    iphone4-slider-case1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 160

haroldpark

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Do you think this case would offer much drop protection? Or is it more of a scratch protectant thing. I know it has some felt inside that i suppose would have a silicone like effect

I want to enjoy my hone with just a power support protector on the front and back when i can but have a case for when i am out and about. Is this case easy to take off when you want to?

MRSaint

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I also wanted to add, that the case is not a perfect tight fit. If I put the phone in and shake the phone moves slightly.

I'm also experiencing this. My case won't stay shut even pushing the top sleep button sometimes slides the case open. It also has a bad, what appears to be, mold spot on the lower left section of the case.

One positive note though is that the separation on the flash does prevent wash out pictures since the light won't bleed in to the lens.

I've also been a long time Seidio user and have recommended them to many of my friends so needless to say a little disappointed on this case. I will be contacting them to see if anything can be done.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I can't get my case to come apart. Any tricks?

You're not kidding - oh my God! I have this thing on my phone right now and I cannot get it off no matter how hard I try! I even called Seidio and they told me that it's easier to get this case off than the one for the 3G and 3GS - no freaking way. They told me that you're supposed to push on the bottom piece just below where the two pieces meet and then slide the top piece off. I've been trying for 1/2 hr and I can't it off. This is ridiculous.

nyisles84

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
You're not kidding - oh my God! I have this thing on my phone right now and I cannot get it off no matter how hard I try! I even called Seidio and they told me that it's easier to get this case off than the one for the 3G and 3GS - no freaking way. They told me that you're supposed to push on the bottom piece just below where the two pieces meet and then slide the top piece off. I've been trying for 1/2 hr and I can't it off. This is ridiculous.

I'ts tricky. Took me 8 months to first figure it out on the 3gs. You have to kinda grab the 2 halves and almost twist and pull. It's scary cause you think it might break it but it really doesnt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.