Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Has anyone else been having problems with Safari constantly defaulting to the mobile version of websites, even after clicking on the full website link? In some cases, i click on the full website link and as soon as it tries loading that, it gets redirected to the mobile page. It will always repeat this and never go to the full website. This is on an iPhone 4 running 4.0.1. I never had this problem with my 3GS.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Nothing unusual in that - most mobile 'phones behave that way. Just scroll to the bottom of the relevant page and click on the "normal" format.

TW95

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
London
This is because your iPhone's unique Internet Protocol Address sends a packet that tells the site you are viewing from a mobile site. You then get sent to the mobile format site. The reason is because it uses less data and takes less time to load.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Nothing unusual in that - most mobile 'phones behave that way. Just scroll to the bottom of the relevant page and click on the "normal" format.

I understand why it goes there the first time. What's unusual is that even when I scroll down and click the "normal" link, it doesn't take me there, it forces me right back to the mobile page again.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
What's unusual is that even when I scroll down and click the "normal" link, it doesn't take me there, it forces me right back to the mobile page again.

Yes, 'fraid you're right there! Personally, I've usually found that Safari will, when instructed, display the normal web format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.