Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I'm considering going the digital route this year with my textbooks if possible because carrying around a bunch of heavy textbooks is a pain. Has anyone successfully used one of these machines for all of their textbooks? How has it worked out and have the teachers and other seemed to go along with it? I'm just looking for some real world stories before going out and spending the money.
I'm probably going to go with either kindle or nook though since I don't have enough money for the ipad right now unfortunately but any stories or information are helpful.

nobunaga209

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
TX
I recently purchased my g/f a Nook for school; she's been using it for Sookie Stackhouse ebooks however. :p

We'll know more once class starts in a few weeks; this review may be helpful to you: Princeton Kindle review.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I use my Kindle 2 in my grad school. All of my professors are cool with it. It is nice to be able to carry around a bunch of books in a package that is about the size of a Jr. legal pad. I can type notes in while I read and download them to my computer. When books are available in ebook format, I can download them in a minute or two. It has a built in dictionary that helps, and it actually knows most words. I can search books for specific terms etc. Battery life is pretty good. With wireless off and heavy reading I can easily last a week on a single charge.

That said, there are some drawbacks. First, not all books are available in ebooks. Second, the Kindle doesn't use page numbers it uses locations. So sometimes I have to work a bit to figure out what to read when my professor says read pgs 175-225. Third, non-text figures, diagrams, charts, maps, etc. are sometimes difficult to read on my Kindle.

With the new Kindle starting at only $139 for the wifi version, it is not very expensive to give it a try.

I hope this helps.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
No, for two reasons:

1) The titles I need (law) aren't available in a digital format.

2) I recoup some of the value by selling some of the textbooks onto undergrads in the year below. I can't do this with an ebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.