Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did the iPhone 4 Incase Slider scratch your phone?

• Yes

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 63 63.0%

• Total voters

OnNightfall

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Since recent posts, it sounds like the iPhone 4 Incase Slider has been scratching phones. Has yours been scratched? I want to know if it's just the way some people installed the case.

OnNightfall

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Just checked mine and No. I have a feeling this is a freak thing but let's see what the Poll results say.

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
I was able to put the case on with a vinyl wrap around the metal band so that should stop any scratching (at least temporarily). As for the back of the phone, if the case scratches that in any way, I haven't noticed.

Brandon Heat

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
I highly think that the people who claim they are taking ultra care of their phones are in fact, not... And then they get shocked when they find scratches made by case... I don't even put my phone in my pocket... I don't have any scratches by the case and I'm constantly checking to make sure so the case is going on and off all the time...

I run a business and customers constantly claim they know their items inside and out... They do not... I think partially some people may have legitimate problems with the case.. But just like any other complaint in forums... Its blown out of proportion...

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
^

Not true. I brought my slider home from Best Buy, took the skins off of my phone and put it in the case. I took it out a few times just to test fit and such, and when I looked at the back of the phone I had a 2 inch scratch right down the back.

I had not put the slider or the phone in my pocket and there was NO debris. There was some slight rough spots on the case inside that weren't properly removed during manufacturing that did this. You couldn't even see them but after seeing the scratch and feeling the case it all made sense.

I was pissed but thankfully I was returning the phone for speaker issues anyway but buyer beware. Inspect the hell out of your slider before you put your phone in it. Feel the inside and make sure there are no imperfections.

I wish I took a pic but I didn't even think of it at the time. But the scratch was there and before it I had a skin on and it was flawless.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Dunno about the i4, but the Incase Slider for the 3GS definitely did scratch the back of my phone.

cprloe

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
I have been using a Slider on my Iphone 4 for the past 10 days while waiting for my Otterbox Defender to come in.

After reading this thread and others, I was deathly afraid there would be a huge scratch down the back of my Iphone when I took it out of the Slider case. I took it out very gently and was very relieved that I didn't find any scratches.

I can understand why some Slider cases are scratching the back of the phone because a little piece below the rail in the middle was a little rough to the touch.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I have been using a Slider on my Iphone 4 for the past 10 days while waiting for my Otterbox Defender to come in.

After reading this thread and others, I was deathly afraid there would be a huge scratch down the back of my Iphone when I took it out of the Slider case. I took it out very gently and was very relieved that I didn't find any scratches.

I can understand why some Slider cases are scratching the back of the phone because a little piece below the rail in the middle was a little rough to the touch.

It wasn't a piece of the rubber rail, it was part of the hard plastic back on the inside.

parkp81

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I just noticed scratching on my antenna band near the lower sides where the small piece connects to the larger piece of the case. I'm very careful with the phone and always kept clean. Time to go return it to bestbuy.:mad:

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
The incase Slider (gun-metal model, to be exact) did scratch my antenna pretty badly, after only 2 days of usage. And my cased phone is kept in a leather pouch as well, so it's very taken care of. But after removing the Slider the past Sunday (purchased it at Best Buy on Friday), there were some significant scratched/shiny worn spots on the "shoulders" of the antenna at the top of the phone. Slider went back to Best Buy on Monday.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
If it's like the 3G then it won't work. I tried it before and I couldn't get the Incase Slider on.

No, you can't use a full body shield on the iPhone 4 and still use the Slider. Hell, the Slider will bubble a very thin screen protector. I had to remove a thin vinyl back skin to get my Slider to go on.

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
To answer your question, no. However, my screen shields will never be the same. The IS on the back now has lots of imprints from that rubber piece, and the very bottom of my SGP shield on the front has some scratches from removing the bottom of the case. Nothing you can see with the case on though.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Any case that covers the back of the phone will eventually scratch it when dust gets trapped between the phone and case. Nothing you can do about it.

I had a PDO slider case on my 3GS and it had thin liner inside so it never scratched my phone after months of use.

superscientific

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2003
Spring Hill, TN
Mine scratched my phone. It sucks because I have the white conversion on my 4 and it scratched the metal band and the edge of the glass because of it's super tight fit. I had a front and back protector and it fit really tight. It looked awesome but I had to take it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.