Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

125450-photoshop_express_1.jpg

Adobe yesterday released an update to its popular Photoshop application for the iPhone, renaming it Adobe Photoshop Express and bringing iPad compatibility to the application. First released for the iPhone last October, the application offers a number of simple image editing options, including cropping, rotating, color adjustment, and filters.

125451-photoshop_express_2.jpg

With the increased screen real estate available on the iPad, Photoshop Express can now offer streamlined gallery views with workflows that allow users to easily work on multiple photos in succession.
Features specific to iPad:
- Support for portrait and landscape orientations
- Redesigned Online, Edit, and Upload workflows
- Ability to work on multiple photos in sequence from within a single workflow
- Redesigned Organizer view with simplified album sharing
- Updated icons and visuals that make it easier to navigate and use the Editor
- Ability to upload to Photoshop.com and Facebook simultaneously
Adobe has expressed interest in finding out from users of the company's desktop version of Photoshop how they might be interested in viewing and working with Photoshop files on the iPad, and while Photoshop Express obviously does not offer anywhere near the functionality of desktop Photoshop, it does demonstrate Adobe's commitment to the platform as it begins testing out functionalities that could eventually be expanded into a more full-featured iPad application.

Article Link: 'Photoshop Express' Comes to the iPad

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Really this doesn't make front page when the kind of rechargeable batteries apple uses does?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
What is the point of this w/o raw support? The best I can get is opening raw files, but only allowing for editing on the low res JPEG sidecar file attached to the raw image. One raw file on my iPad is ~30 MB, which is well within the ram amount of the iPad (at 256 MB), even after factoring overhead for the OS.

upekkharich

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
lil' rock, arkansas
Curves!!!!! Levels!!!!

why no levels or curves adjustments?
the best thing for any bad photo is a quick midtone adjustment of curves and adobe didn't bring it to the mobile platform, sad
so much better to curve it than throw contrast at it

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
As a regular user of Photoshop for Mac I'd like to see Photoshop Express include more features. I've used it on my iPhone but it's really too small a screen to do much image editing. The iPad version will be much more useful to me.

Adobe just needs to keep the interface from getting too complicated for routine uses. They've updated the user interface so I think they are moving in the right direction.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
the best thing for any bad photo is a quick midtone adjustment of curves and adobe didn't bring it to the mobile platform, sad

I agree. They should call it Elements™ Express.

I am surprised this isn't on front page - considering the stories that are FP.

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
Free and still very underwhelming. None of the features distinguish it from any other p.o.c. image editor on the iPad. Would love to see a paid version that allows you to manipulate layers in a PSD -- in other words, something a Photoshop user would actually use to do real work.

peterb69

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
-- in other words, something a Photoshop user would actually use to do real work.

But then why wouldn't you do this real work on your "real" computer then? In my opinion, photoshop on the iPad is silly. Why would you want Layers & Curves on the iPad? Instead on downloading to the iPad, just download to your Mac.

A simplistic version of Photoshop seems to be more logical as an iPhone App. At least the iPhone actually take photos. So you can tweak them there then upload or e-mail them out. But once again, who wants a more powerful version Photoshop to use on the iPhone? I think what they gave us is fine.

Just my personal opinion. I'd rather have a nice portfolio app to use on the iPad.

booned

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
New York
I agree. They should call it Elements™ Express.

I am surprised this isn't on front page - considering the stories that are FP.

I agree-- This is a pretty big step in using the ipad as more of a portable graphic design tool than a portable media player/application player.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I know it's free, but the only noteworthy feature for this app is the Photoshop name. If you have ANY interest in this type of functionality, do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars on Photogene.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Don't open in landscape mode. It has a bug that causes conflict when opened in landscape and you have other productivity apps like QuickOffice installed. Opening in portrait mode and then turning it to landscape mode works just fine.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Underwhelming but...

Underwhelming but... at least Adobe is putting their foot on the tablet doors. Goes to show they have a clue that tablet PCs are here to stay and if it really takes off and get more processing power in the future then we should all expect to see a full-blown (maybe not as powerful as the desktop version) of Photoshop on the iPad or other tablets in the future... Autodesk is starting to do it with Sketchbook Pro.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah

I agree this is nothing to me without those intricate adjustment tools. Maybe this would be cool for a soccer mom wanting to touch her Yanni photos up but for a photographer.. it's child's play. Waste of money. I'll stick with my Macbook and CS4 thanks.

No curves, levels!? Jeeze Adobe. Port the whole freaking program dudes..

No raw.
That is LAME.

Weaksauce.

*edit, it's free?

Okay so it's still a waste of *free* time then.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
It's for the iPad!

It isn't going to have the computing power to be able to do curves, levels and layers! That is why you buy a computer. If those features were added everyone would complain that it runs too slow and crashes all the time with their multi-megabyte RAW files. Duh.

What I want to know is where is Aperture 'Express'? Just a slideshow feature, a few basic adjustments like white balance, exposure and contrast, to get a better idea where it's going, and the ability to sort, rate and flag on the go before importing or syncing these with your computer and adjusting them 'properly'.

grapemac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
It's a step in the right direction for sure. Plus as the iPad evolves with evermore power, new features will be added. Eventually there may be enough features for Adobe to begin charging so get it while it's free.

This could also be very good for people like me who have long forgotten/don't know the many features Photoshop has. Get it early and get to know what each feature is and what it can do and learn gradually more as more are added.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well I hope it works better then Flash does on my Mac.

Don't worry, it doesn't.

It's amazing how ignoramuses on the Web continue to give Adobe free advertising for such dead dogs...

PS Express is probably the WORST rated app on the App Store, performing EVEN worse than Flash. In other words, a complete piece of crap on iPad, delivering not photo editing, but crashes all over. Another sheer display of Adobe's sheer incompetence, nothing less.

FLASH IS DEAD. PS IS DEAD. AND SO IS ADOBE.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I agree this is nothing to me without those intricate adjustment tools. Maybe this would be cool for a soccer mom wanting to touch her Yanni photos up but for a photographer.. it's child's play. Waste of money. I'll stick with my Macbook and CS4 thanks.

No curves, levels!? Jeeze Adobe. Port the whole freaking program dudes..

No raw.
That is LAME.

Weaksauce.

*edit, it's free?

Okay so it's still a waste of *free* time then.

Here is an update for you .. that program is for soccer moms. Any photographer trying to work on his pictures on the iPad is not the serious, let alone professional photographer that the real photoshop is made for.

You figured out that it was free after all by yourself at least.

FLASH IS DEAD. PS IS DEAD. AND SO IS ADOBE.

Don't you grow tired of this BS eventually? I mean nobody is taking you serious anymore anyways.

T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.