Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:53 PM   #1
BobFijiwinkle
macrumors newbie

Set up Linksys wrt54gs router to extend airport express network

Hello everybody. I would like to set up my Linksys wrt54gs (old, I know) router to extend my Apple Airport Express network. I know how to extend the other way around, but when I plug the cable modem into this router, it receives no signal.
How would I go about doing this?

BF
BobFijiwinkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:20 PM   #2
lostless
macrumors 6502

With built in linksys firmware, you can not extend a network, or in other words, bridge the devices. If you can figure out how to install DD-WRT, a 3rd party firmware for some routers, You can enable a bridge mode on the router. Second choice, is most access points have a bridge mode in them. I got a netgear 54G (wg602) access point for 60 bucks. Plugged in a hub i had, set it up in bridge mode and now all devices plugged into that hub are wireless. Used this method for my Xbox and computer upstairs, Until i installed DDWRT into an old router i had.
lostless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:54 PM   #3
BobFijiwinkle
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply. I think I will try using DD-WRT.

How would I set this up on a mac mini, 10.6.4?
BobFijiwinkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking