Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetsaregreat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
I have an iPod touch 2g, jailbroken. yesterday i was going to upgrade it to 4.0.2 and then re-jailbreak it. When I started to update, the bar under the apple logo stopped almost fully completed. I left it for hours, it still wouldn't complete, and itunes kept saying "iPod is restoring" or something like that for hours. Finally i decided something had gone wrong since it shouldn't have taken that long (the rest of the loading bar completed in about 5 min) and i unplugged my ipod, and obviously i knew that would mess it up since it was supposedly in the middle of updating, so i put the ipod in dfu mode and tried to restore the ipod to factory settings. the loading bar stopped again. i tried it for 4.0.2, 4.0, and even 3.1.3 though i got an error saying this ipod is not eligible for this software. It never finishes restoring, and i always unplug it to try again and it doesn't work. Also, it is stuck on the connect to itunes screen when i am not trying to restore it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Jailbreaking has nothing to do with his problems.

Have you tried this on another computer?

gadgetsaregreat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Yes, I have used a different computer and restarted mine. Neither worked. I haven't tried to reinstall itunes due to having one gig of space left on my c drive but i guess i'll have to suck it up and do it

YourFriendBen

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
God ademuth93,

It's people like you that just make me want to reach across the internet and slap you in the face. But luckily people like, intell can keep their kindness while replying. Then in turn I can see your just a dork rather than a ********.

Anyways... a reply to actually try to help the OP.

I've been trying to update to 4.1 on my gf's ipod touch 2g MC. It was getting to the last (3%) bit and was staying stuck (even after a night of keeping it connected). After searching the internet and getting this thread as an only relevant result again and again, (and getting more annoyed by ademuth93's comments) I realized that the issue is not because my ipod had been jailbroken (which i didn't think was the issue), but something is making it hang at the end.

So what I did, that turned out to work is to give itunes a little kick. itunes is busy using the usb connection to the ipod so I opened "diskaid" (which has 14 day trail if you don't want to buy)while not touching itunes or the ipod cable. I didn't buy the program though it's a good program. (maybe another program similar to using the ipod/iphone port will do the same concurrent connection disruption) and it was enough to let itunes have a little "shake" and then finish up the restore process. Viola! finished restore and working.

Throw me a what's up if this work. I enjoy the positive reinforcement when I actually help someone. I had a heck of a time finding this link again after fixing my problem just to post the solution. And dammit, to tell ademuth93 how god damn annoying he is.

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
God ademuth93,

It's people like you that just make me want to reach across the internet and slap you in the face. But luckily people like, intell can keep their kindness while replying. Then in turn I can see your just a dork rather than a ********.

I've been trying to update to 4.1 on my gf's ipod touch 2g MC. It was getting to the last (3%) bit and was staying stuck (even after a night of keeping it connected). After searching the internet and getting this thread as an only relevant result again and again, (and getting more annoyed by ademuth93's comments) I realized that the issue is not because my ipod had been jailbroken (which i didn't think was the issue), but something is making it hang at the end.

So what I did, that turned out to work is to give itunes a little kick. itunes is busy using the usb connection to the ipod so I opened "diskaid" (which has 14 day trail if you don't want to buy)while not touching itunes or the ipod cable. I didn't buy the program though it's a good program. (maybe another program similar to using the ipod/iphone port will do the same concurrent connection disruption) and it was enough to let itunes have a little "shake" and then finish up the restore process. Viola! finished restore and working.

Throw me a what's up if this work. I enjoy the positive reinforcement when I actually help someone. I had a heck of a time finding this link again after fixing my problem just to post the solution. And dammit, to tell ademuth93 how god damn annoying he is.

+1000 internets to you sir.

Tried it over the phone with a friend who had a bricked iPod, popped up in iTunes immediately.

Ace143

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
hmmm i was going to try the same thing i have an ipod 2g MC model and running 3.1 tethered jailbreak by blackra1n hmmmm i am downloading the software right now for 4.1 for my 2g and jailbreak it again on 4.1 using green p0ision.i would like to share some of my views on some of the problems i came across viewing blogs all night i came across something called SHSH and it was said that if u have clicked "make my life easy" on cydia then u can use tiny umbrella (software) to save ur SHSH but i didnt do much research on that but i believe it allows you to downgrade the firmware i am not sure about upgrade/restore. note: it was also mentioned that if you intend to restore if apple servers do not detect ur SHSH then you cannot update FOREVER. this was claimed on some blogs i have been on but i am not sure if it is 100%.
google it if u wanna knw more.

also i would like to share a link where u can get any firmware for the ipod, iphone, ipad etc...
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

will help if you wanna downgrade but i would recommend to take caution.
As for my update from 3.1 to 4.1 i will do more research before i will try the diskaid i used it before and it allows u to use ur ipod similar to a usb and root file can be opened.
i hope it has helped for those who have read this as i would like to narrow your search when faced with problems with these.

NimH

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
God ademuth93,

I just registered here simply to tell you THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

This Has been a problem for me for so SOOOOO long. Not just with my old ipod, but ALL my jailbroken devices. so THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!!

NOTE: THIS WORKED FOR ME WITHOUT USING DISK AID I USED A PROGRAM CALLED IPHONE EXPLORER. I am on a Mac, but if I remember correctly it also works on PCs too.

guitarlord39

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Genius

God ademuth93,

You sir are a freaking genius. Worked like a charm, didn't even have to do anything, all I did was open up the application and bam, iTunes finished the restore. I was using an iPod Touch 3G, so that proves it still works for the later generations. I would recommend that anyone reading this having second thoughts about this solution, do it. I've never actually posted a reply, this one was the first worth replying for. Thanks so much.

punnyguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Nice!

God ademuth93,

I made an account just so I could thank you.
So.... Thank you....

npal14

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Good ole' Ohio
So i didn't read the above posts because i'm lazy buttttttttttt....from experience if your ipod is stuck in the restoration process on a MAC, all you have to do is open up an illegal app like PWNAGE TOOL or REDSN0W or anything like that, but i prefer pwnagetool. If you just open it up while it's restoring, it'll finish the process no sweat. Reply back if it doesn't work.

Hope it helps

----------

I just read the post above me. Ignore what i said, it has already been said. I feel stupid. Good day, sirs.

YourFriendBen

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Glad to hear it working for many :D

So i didn't read the above posts because i'm lazy buttttttttttt....from experience if your ipod is stuck in the restoration process on a MAC, all you have to do is open up an illegal app like PWNAGE TOOL or REDSN0W or anything like that, but i prefer pwnagetool. If you just open it up while it's restoring, it'll finish the process no sweat. Reply back if it doesn't work.

Hope it helps

----------

I just read the post above me. Ignore what i said, it has already been said. I feel stupid. Good day, sirs.

Naw npal14, it's good that you posted what worked for you, sometime, as you already know, one's solution doesn't work with another's device. Thanks.

Surprised this little tip is still working after all this time. I personally have not had to use this method for a long time now. I believe after doing a fresh install of everything on my computer. I have not run into this problem for the last year and half. Possibly an old version of itunes had a buggy setting that is somehow always passed onto the next updated version of itunes on the same computer. ...possibly?

Anyways, thanks everyone who commented with feedback.. It really does help motivate me to take the extra time to return some useful information to the community.

Check out the video that I made after posting the original message. I lost control of the login for this youtube account so I can not update or comment on it, but it's concise to the point if you need to link it to someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MscLL_tkSww

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.