Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:59 AM   #1
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

So.. what happens to all the stuff that you do on the phone before sync with backup?

As I mentioned in another recent post, I got my iPhone 4 today, and as I live quite a ways out of the city, I had been using the new phone all day after buying it, before syncing it with my computer. I had a text conversation, took a number of pictures and videos, etc. Then I come home, sync it with iTunes and with my backup, and all of that stuff vanishes. How can they give you an activated, functioning phone before you walk out of the store, but not tell you that you have No way of saving anything you do on it pre-iTunes sync?
StephenCampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:28 AM   #2
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

...because they don't know that you already have an idevice backup...
Also you could've just emailed the photos and vids to yourself.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Darwin
macrumors 65816

It's either they activate it for you and you can use the phone right away or waiting till you go back to your computer and doing the activation from there.

It should have taken a backup from the phone anyway, if I recall I had two backups when I first set the phone up, one from when it was activated and the other from my old 3G.
Darwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:31 AM   #4
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

Vital stuff like new contacts enteres or email can be saved, but not everything.

I don't consider that a software/Apple issue at all. The iPhone/iTunes/backup/restore deal is by far one of my favorite features of the iPhone. I suppose they could come with a "merge" feature for new data with a backup similar to how they handle contacts, but I'm not sure that's really something that's feasible or convenient.
GermanSuplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:06 AM   #5
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
It's either they activate it for you and you can use the phone right away or waiting till you go back to your computer and doing the activation from there.
In the US, they activate the phones in store to AT&T. There is no option to take it home and activate it, like in other countries.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:54 PM   #6
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Well, I couldn't have emailed a 10 minute long 720p video clip.

I'm not too upset or anything... I didn't lose much, and that video clip was really lame. I just think it's weird that there was no way for me to get that stuff off the phone before syncing it. Like, I plugged it into iTunes and it gave me the setup screen, and there were three iPhone backups I could choose from to restore it with. One was from March 5th of this year, and one was from April 23rd of this year, and the last one was from yesterday, which was the last time I backed up my old phone. So I obviously restored from that one, and everything was immaculately restored to exactly the way my old phone was at the time of that backup, which is great, but I lost the texting conversations I had on my new phone during the day yesterday, as well as all the pictures and videos I took. :-/

Was there a way to get that stuff onto my computer before doing the backup/restore? Just so I know for the future.
StephenCampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone