Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I installed XP, via BC, on my older 20" iMac, and I keep getting an error message when trying to connect to my wireless network. My network shows that it is available, with full signal strength, but as soon as I try to connect to it, I get an error message saying that it may be out of range, and I should refresh and try to connect again. Anyone know what the issue is? Thanks for the help.

UpQuark

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
Zushi, Japan
I installed XP, via BC, on my older 20" iMac, and I keep getting an error message when trying to connect to my wireless network. My network shows that it is available, with full signal strength, but as soon as I try to connect to it, I get an error message saying that it may be out of range, and I should refresh and try to connect again. Anyone know what the issue is? Thanks for the help.

I would try this as a form of troubleshooting only.. don't leave your network like this.

Remove any network encryption with no password. Try to get access to it. Also, make sure you are connecting to YOUR wifi, not your neighbors.

IF this works, then setup security with WPA or WPA2 and a good password and try to reconnect.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.