Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
lobster512
macrumors newbie

Some SSH questions from a newbie.

Hi all,

I want to venture into the world of SSH. This is my very first iPhone and I'm so glad I decided to jailbreak. All of the customization and shortcuts I miss coming from a BB I can now have on this phone. In my opinion, makes it 100 times better than an unjailbroken phone.

So far, I've just been using Winterboard and Cydia, but I keep reading about SSH and negative things about Winterboard, Cydia and Rock. So, I just have a few questions.

1. What is SSH exactly?

2. How does using SSH versus Cydia and Winterboard affect memory and battery life?

3. For apps like InfoLock and SBSettings, would you still have to use cydia, or can you just "SSH" those apps into your phone? Or is SSH reserved only for theme aspects of the phone?

4. I've read that Cyberduck is a good program to use, or would you recommend something else?

Sorry if any of the questions are confusing. I've also tried to find a good how to website for beginners in the SSH world, but haven't come up with any good ones. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by lobster512; Aug 14, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
lobster512 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:18 PM   #2
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Here you will find most of your answer:

http://www.simonblog.com/2009/05/17/...ile-on-iphone/

also quick search in the forum will bring you some of the common question for starters

As a side note, I personally try to avoid SSH as much as i can, even when I used it everyday it just an un-necessary resource running on my iPhone for me, I use iPhoneDisk and iPhone Explorer type of program than no required SSH, they just mount the File system locally like it would be external Hard drive.

Hope it help.

Last edited by maturola; Aug 14, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:19 PM   #3
crawfish963
macrumors 6502

1) A method of transferring files to/from your jailbroken iPhone

2) It doesn't

3) You can do either

4) I use Cyberduck, no complaints

5) Google some tutorials
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:35 PM   #4
pasipple
macrumors 6502a

Use DiskAid and forget about SSH....
AppleTV3 v5.1
pasipple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:53 PM   #5
lionheartednyhc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasipple View Post
Use DiskAid and forget about SSH....
+10 I have never been able to figure out why people use SSH (other than for running terminal commands) when USB is faster and waaaay easier (and technically safer as you don't deal with the SSH security issues...
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:44 PM   #6
dZp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheartednyhc View Post
I have never been able to figure out why people use SSH
The day your iDevice gets stuck in a respring loop, and you can't afford to restore, you'll wish you had SSH access. I sure was happy to have it when I was messing with the wife's iPad. Issued a reboot command and all was well.
As far as security issues go, changing the passwords takes 10 seconds to do.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:23 PM   #7
lionheartednyhc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZp View Post
The day your iDevice gets stuck in a respring loop, and you can't afford to restore, you'll wish you had SSH access. I sure was happy to have it when I was messing with the wife's iPad. Issued a reboot command and all was well.
As far as security issues go, changing the passwords takes 10 seconds to do.
Oh, I understand that type of use. But for just moving files around and such, SSH is far more inconvenient compared to USB
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Abby6497
macrumors member

Quote:
Oh, I understand that type of use. But for just moving files around and such, SSH is far more inconvenient compared to USB
Ok this is probably a really stupid question but I'm also new to all of this. I have used iFile to add a homescreen and battery percentage on my 3G running 4.0.1 is that what SSH means? Sorry if this is a stupid question...lol
Abby6497 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:39 PM   #9
lionheartednyhc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby6497 View Post
Ok this is probably a really stupid question but I'm also new to all of this. I have used iFile to add a homescreen and battery percentage on my 3G running 4.0.1 is that what SSH means? Sorry if this is a stupid question...lol
Im not familiar with that program. Was your phone connected to your computer wirelessly or via a USB cable.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Abby6497
macrumors member

Quote:
Im not familiar with that program. Was your phone connected to your computer wirelessly or via a USB cable.
It wasn't connected to my computer at all. I did it all on my phone through iFile, which I downloaded from Cydia.
Abby6497 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:49 PM   #11
lionheartednyhc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It wasn't connected to my computer at all. I did it all on my phone through iFile, which I downloaded from Cydia.
Oh, then no. That is not SSH. SSH establishes a wireless connection from your phone to your computer.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:17 PM   #12
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
iFile is a File Manager, like Explorer for Windows, and Finder on OSx, it allow you to "manage" all the files in your file system.

SSH is a Network Protrocol, secure shell to connect multiple devices using a network connection.

You can check the link I posted above for more detail.

Quote:
SSH stands for secure shell that is commonly used in Unix/Linux environment. You can use SSH to access a remote a computer and execute commands from another machine that may be miles away. Additionally, you can use it to transfer files to the remote computer, just like FTP. Iím not going to dig deep and throw out all the technical details about SSH. But just remember, SSH is a tool that lets you access machine or devices remotely. Here, the device is your iPhone
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:14 PM   #13
TitanTiger
macrumors regular

If you've changed your root password, is there really any security issue with OpenSSH?
TitanTiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks