Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1
2contagious
macrumors 6502a

iPhone app development with no experience?

Hi,

I am interested in learning how to make iPhone apps. Now, I am more of a graphics guy and have absolutely no experience with coding (except HTML).. What would be the best way to start learning Objective-C and are there any other coding languages that you need to make iPhone apps?

see you,
2c
2contagious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:30 PM   #2
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan. IT's a book
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Gokunama
macrumors 6502a

I was about to recommend the same book. Beginning iPhone 3 Development - Exploring the iPhone SDK was also recommended to me to be read after reading the book the previous poster mentioned.
Gokunama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4
firewood
macrumors 603

fine art with no experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2contagious View Post
Hi,

I am interested in learning how to make iPhone apps. Now, I am more of a graphics guy and have absolutely no experience with coding (except HTML).. What would be the best way to start learning Objective-C and are there any other coding languages that you need to make iPhone apps?
Hi, I'm a coding guy with no experience in art or drawing. What would be the best way for me to create artwork that I could get published on the New Yorker cover or displayed in the Met Museum? Is there a book I could read to learn everything?
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Gokunama
macrumors 6502a

Not all great artists or successful programmers have formal training, aside from that, there's no harm in just trying one's hand at either art or programming as long as one's expectations aren't too high.
Gokunama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:49 PM   #6
davejas69
macrumors newbie

why the sarcasm?

Really! Why the sarcasm in the last post? I didn't think the guy wanted to read a book and expect to know everything, he simply asked advice for the best place to start. I was in the same boat, It is overwhelming, not only the subject matter itself but with the overload of information out there, deciding what to BEST concentrate on to best use your time.
davejas69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:01 PM   #7
jotade11
macrumors regular

If you wanted to get started right away (albeit learning C, not Objective-C) this is a great site that you could quickly go through just to get a basic understanding of Xcode and C: http://masters-of-the-void.com/

I would definitely get on the of the previously recommended books, one of which I'm currently plowing through as best I can

Good luck!
jotade11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:34 PM   #8
davejas69
macrumors newbie

Jotade11...thank you so much for posting that Masters of the Void link!!
I had no idea it existed. Looks great!
davejas69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:46 PM   #9
woodman
macrumors newbie

Another suggestion I would add is get a project. Even if you're just copying an existing app. Better if you have your own idea that you are enthusiastic about though. With a project, you can go back and forth with the books to solve problems that you need to solve to get your app working. Just doing tutorials, I see a lot of people just fizzle out interest.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:51 PM   #10
2contagious
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all your tips guys! As already said, I don't expect to be great at this..It will probably be a total failure It's just that I'm starting to get interested in it and I thought I might give it a try.. doesn't hurt
2contagious is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming