Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apattee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
My dog dug up an old iphone 3g 8gb phone today. Unfortunately the screen is cracked and I put the phone in DFU mode, tried to install 4.0.1 , but it keeps getting errors so I don't think I can do anything with it.

I was able to remove most of the sand, but it unfortunately won't install an OS. I'm able to get itunes to recognize the phone, and am even able to see the apple logo, but nothing past that.

What are my options??? Or is it even fixable?

apattee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
yeah I was shocked to see my dog digging near it. I thought it was my phone at first and was horrified to see the screen.

It's probably totally water damaged, but the screen being cracked wasn't too bad.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Sell it to Gizmodo. It is the new iPhone 5 that a drunk apple employee lost.
They are calling it iPhone retro- going back to the 3G design due to issues with iPhone 4.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Sell it to Gizmodo. It is the new iPhone 5 that a drunk apple employee lost.
They are calling it iPhone retro- going back to the 3G design due to issues with iPhone 4.

Incorrect! The real iPhone 5 prototype is half the size of iPhone 3G, you have to smash to decoy against a wall to find the prototype inside.

Jayman34187

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
My dog dug up an old iphone 3g 8gb phone today. Unfortunately the screen is cracked and I put the phone in DFU mode, tried to install 4.0.1 , but it keeps getting errors so I don't think I can do anything with it.

I was able to remove most of the sand, but it unfortunately won't install an OS. I'm able to get itunes to recognize the phone, and am even able to see the apple logo, but nothing past that.

What are my options??? Or is it even fixable?

sure you did.. pics or it didn't happen

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
See if an Apple genius will replace the phone for a $199 exchange fee. Then sell it for $400.

Or, do the right thing and contact the local police and turn the phone in. The owner may still want it back.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Go back to the exact spot where you found the phone at midnight on a Wednesday ...

Spin your body 3 times counter-clockwise while holding the phone up toward the moon ...

Speak the ancient words, "icky, icky, chow, put, pa-ting"

Throw the phone into the ocean.

Count to 69 and look toward the ocean sky as a brand new iPhone4* will drop down from the heavens into your hands.

* it'll still have reception/antennae issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.