Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I just picked up the 17" 2.66GHz i7 macbook pro in antiglare and the display is amazing!

I had the 17" i7 back in April but sold it off after a month of use to buy a projector. Now that I have the funds, I picked one up (missed it so much) but this time I got a different display and it is absolutely PERFECT!

There is no backlight bleeding, black level is amazingly good (reminds me of the previous generation 17 inch's screen!), no dead/stuck pixels (thank GOD).

The old i7 17" antiglare screen that I had was a 9CD0 and while it was ok I remember it used to look washed out in the regular color profile. Even trying to calibrate it I remember not being too happy with the black levels (looked washed out no matter what). I even tried a color profile that someone made but still wasnt satisfied.

Now I have the 9CCE display and it is GORGEOUS!! I know it would look even more amazing with the display calibrated but using the regular color profile the black level is awesome as well as the colors that just pop! The black level looks like real printed ink.

Now the only thing I'm hoping and praying for is no freezing. :cool:

Anyone know what display 9CCE is? Is it a new one??

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No idea… what display it is, but congrats on the screen.

I am quite curious, what happened to the Mac Pro?

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
No idea… what display it is, but congrats on the screen.

I am quite curious, what happened to the Mac Pro?

I was battling the decision between the Mac Pro and the 17" i7 macbook pro and chose the latter. I need something portable at times and its fast enough for what I do.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
I just picked up the 17" 2.66GHz i7 macbook pro in antiglare and the display is amazing!

I had the 17" i7 back in April but sold it off after a month of use to buy a projector. Now that I have the funds, I picked one up (missed it so much) but this time I got a different display and it is absolutely PERFECT!

There is no backlight bleeding, black level is amazingly good (reminds me of the previous generation 17 inch's screen!), no dead/stuck pixels (thank GOD).

The old i7 17" antiglare screen that I had was a 9CD0 and while it was ok I remember it used to look washed out in the regular color profile. Even trying to calibrate it I remember not being too happy with the black levels (looked washed out no matter what). I even tried a color profile that someone made but still wasnt satisfied.

Now I have the 9CCE display and it is GORGEOUS!! I know it would look even more amazing with the display calibrated but using the regular color profile the black level is awesome as well as the colors that just pop! The black level looks like real printed ink.

Could be LG or Phillips.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo
I hate this thread! I always had 17 notebooks and I miss them. I wish I could trade up to the 17" i7. I may even do it to the i5 just for the screen.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009

i have the same mbp, 17 ag i7 and have had buyers remorse. I keep reading on here that 17 is too big. the 17 is not too big it is almost the same size as the 15.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
i have the same mbp, 17 ag i7 and have had buyers remorse. I keep reading on here that 17 is too big. the 17 is not too big it is almost the same size as the 15.

What's the main reason for your buyers remorse on the 17"? A little too bulky/heavy to be convenient to easily move around or use on your lap?

I recall you like your new 17" more than your previous 15"... from following your posts I still think you'd be pleased with the 13" and maybe a 24/27" ACD when you want more screen real estate.

You don't like to work from a desk any more than I do, I have my 24" ACD in my living room/den on a small table beside my couch, works great! Sort of best of both worlds, nice large screen at home and light and portable machine whether I'm traveling or just heading to the deck, or meeting, cafe etc.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
congrats OP might I suggest a good hospital in california that deals with sports injuries, since we all know that the 17" is too massive to carry ;) Seriously, people forget that the 17" MBP is slightly larger than the 15" and still smaller than many 15" laptops from unmentionable manufacturers...

anyway, enjoy

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i too love my 17" every time i use my brother 15" i feel like i'm using a net-book :p
the size/weight is worth it for me.

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
You can copy and paste the following UNIX command into the "Terminal" app to get the LCD part details:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

I've seen a 17" antiglare in an Apple Store and it certainly wasn't as vibrant as the glossy version. I believe it was a 9CD0 too. Good to know the displays are being improved on even between complete revisions.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
It is such a joy using this 17" screen. Its the most vibrant high resolution display I've ever used! Even my brother who owns a Sager was very impressed when I showed him a high resolution manga of the sword of berserk, he was in total awe.

He literally said the blacks were so dark and fine that it looks like a glowing printed ink! It looks super vivid, I'm so glad I chose the 17". :)

Another plus side is that now I can run Plex player along with all my apps in 12 spaces without the cpu going over 30%. On the core 2 duos I've always hit 80% or higher. It is amazingly fast!!

Also I carried my 17" around all day today with no issues whatsoever. I'm still amazed how you get a complete high resolution screen (amazing quality), loud and clear speakers all in this compact and THIN 17". It really feels like I'm carrying around a hard covered binder thats THIN. :p

SqlMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
DFW Metroplex
I got the 9CCE tonight

jjahshik32,

I bought a 17" i7 AG tonight and got the same 9CCE screen. I have to agree that it is brilliant and nearly as perfect as a TN panel can get.

I bought the 15" high res AG two night ago and returned it the following morning because of sharp yellow color at the bottom. I got a glossy 17 instead. The glossy 17 looked stunning until I got it to work and could watch the airplanes fly by out my window while trying to type emails (with my back to the window).

I had a gracious manager at the Willow Bend Apple Store swap me up for the loaded AG version tonight without restock fee.

This panel has no color shift at the bottom, hardly any light bleed at the bottom when turned all the way up. The black levels are not as dark as the glossy, but I noticed that this translates into being able to see some details in certain photos that looked totally black on the glossy.

Movies looked better to me on the glossy, but oh well; this is a work machine and I am satisfied with the panel.

Take Care.

happy2gomac

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
jjahshik32,

I bought a 17" i7 AG tonight and got the same 9CCE screen. I have to agree that it is brilliant and nearly as perfect as a TN panel can get.

I bought the 15" high res AG two night ago and returned it the following morning because of sharp yellow color at the bottom. I got a glossy 17 instead. The glossy 17 looked stunning until I got it to work and could watch the airplanes fly by out my window while trying to type emails (with my back to the window).

I had a gracious manager at the Willow Bend Apple Store swap me up for the loaded AG version tonight without restock fee.

This panel has no color shift at the bottom, hardly any light bleed at the bottom when turned all the way up. The black levels are not as dark as the glossy, but I noticed that this translates into being able to see some details in certain photos that looked totally black on the glossy.

Movies looked better to me on the glossy, but oh well; this is a work machine and I am satisfied with the panel.

Take Care.

Yea, but if you're watching movies, won't you see the reflection in the background? Especially with dark scenes? I debated big time whether to go glossy or anti glare. My old HP is glossy. I had enough with the reflections. IF I was tied down in a dark basement I guess I'd go that route. Since I'm not, the anti-glare rocks. May not be "quite" as flashy as the other, but still very impressive. VERY impressive with the 17" MBP.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
jjahshik32,

Take Care.

Glad to see everyone likes the LG/Philips 9CCE panels on their 17" MBPs. I also got the AG version about 2 months back. I had to return the first one since there was bad yellowing at the bottom 1/3 of the screen. It turned out to be a Samsung made panel.

The 9CCE comes stock tuned to be a bit "cooler" than the "warmer" Samsungs. Since then I have recalibrated it to my liking with my i1 Display. Colors are accurate! They are not over-saturated like the glossy panels. I use mine for photo and video editing so good, accurate colors are paramount. I cringe everytime I look at the iPhoto demo photos on the Apple store MBP glossy screens. All the colors are over-exaggerated. I did the comparison before getting the AG version.

SqlMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
DFW Metroplex
jjahshik32,

Take Care.

So as a followup to my own post, I came back to report that I have purchased another 17", this time a glossy panel version. The screen on this one right out of the box is phenomenal, similar qualities to the 9CCE matte with greater contrast.

The reason?

It is a 9CCD panel. The glossy version of the exact same panel.

This panel is from LG and is a LP171WU6-TLA2.
The matte panel is a LP171WU6-TLB2.

So it seems that this particular LG panel and its variants are wonderful. The matte version does have some lower light bleed as I mentioned before, the glossy version has way less. Colors are great and there is not hint of yellow bottom on either display. I am going to deduce from my timing of purchases that perhaps many of the 17's currently in the Apple Store have these panels (at least in the Dallas area, one came from Willow Bend and the other from Knox Street).

ooSLEEPYoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
I bought this model about a month ago and absolutely love it. MacBook Pro 17" Core i7 2.66. Screen model number is: 9CCE. Out of the box the display is amazing but I'm still looking for the right color profile.

The regular old Color LCD looks great, but when I went through the Color Calibration expert settings I ended up with a little bluish tint.

lth1301

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
So as a followup to my own post, I came back to report that I have purchased another 17", this time a glossy panel version. The screen on this one right out of the box is phenomenal, similar qualities to the 9CCE matte with greater contrast.

The reason?

It is a 9CCD panel. The glossy version of the exact same panel.

This panel is from LG and is a LP171WU6-TLA2.
The matte panel is a LP171WU6-TLB2.

So it seems that this particular LG panel and its variants are wonderful. The matte version does have some lower light bleed as I mentioned before, the glossy version has way less. Colors are great and there is not hint of yellow bottom on either display. I am going to deduce from my timing of purchases that perhaps many of the 17's currently in the Apple Store have these panels (at least in the Dallas area, one came from Willow Bend and the other from Knox Street).

Well, I have a exactly same experience.

I have returned several glossy and matte 17' Macbook Pros due to dead pixels and severe yellow tinge at the bottom half of the lcds. Re-ordering process was a big hassle (usually takes 5~7 days to get CTO model and can't guarantee if the new one would be any better) so one day, I really tried to ignore the problems but every time I looked at the screen, IT WAS THERE. It kept bugging hell out of me and I couldn't live with it. I returned it and almost gave up purchasing Macbook Pro. They all had Samsung panels.

Last week, I gave one last shot. Ordered glossy 17' and finally satisfied with this one with LG panel. No yellow tinge, no dead pixel, very subtle light bleed at the bottom corners but neglectable.

LCD model #: 9CCD

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
Glad you liked it.

Don't be one of those members who like it at first then develop OCD with battery and normal heating. :D

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Wait, so are the Samsung panels worse? If so that blows, because I put that command into terminal and it appears I have a Samsung panel (LTN170CT10). booo.

phooi

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
How does one identify the screen model? I looked in System Profiler & couldn't find it.

Thanks.

SqlMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
DFW Metroplex
my 15" i7 MBP is wicked.

Glossy High res screen looks amazing.

I went back to the Apple Store last night for one more. This time a 15 inch HR AG. This machine will be my personal one. The two 17"'s were work related.

I bought and returned a machine just like this two weeks ago because of the cruddy yellow Samsung panel. I had my fingers crossed when leaving the store with this one.

It has panel 9CBB, which is also LG and is PERFECT. No yellow, good pixels and very high contrast with deep black levels. I guess LG has their stuff together.

The picture is taken with my iPhone, but gives a decent impression of the color and even-ness of the screen.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 182
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.