Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I have an iPhone 4, iPad 64gb and 15in MacBook Pro, and I adore them all, but....why are we waiting so long for updated Apple apps? The Apple Store, Remote and Gallery apps really should have been updated closer to the launch of the iPad instead of waiting and waiting for them to go universal. Hopefully with ios4 we will see some decent updates! Plus, there are several apps like Facebook and Twitter that should take advantage of the iPad real estate but it seems the developers also are a little slow out of the trap concerning iPad. :( Roll on the media event!!!

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
I have an iPhone 4, iPad 64gb and 15in MacBook Pro, and I adore them all, but....why are we waiting so long for updated Apple apps? The Apple Store, Remote and Gallery apps really should have been updated closer to the launch of the iPad instead of waiting and waiting for them to go universal. Hopefully with ios4 we will see some decent updates! Plus, there are several apps like Facebook and Twitter that should take advantage of the iPad real estate but it seems the developers also are a little slow out of the trap concerning iPad. :( Roll on the media event!!!

Why not just use the web for Facebook, Apple Store and Twitter? No need for specific apps for such webpages on the iPad.

harry20larry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008

Seconded, think that the remote app and facebook need to become to universal.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
"Why not just use the web for Facebook, Apple Store and Twitter? No need for specific apps for such webpages on the iPad."

There is NO NEED for these apps on an iPhone either but yet we have them...it's just a want for them and impatience. Webpages don't send push notifications or have dedicated features like both the Facebook and Twitter apps do. Plus, its a little unfair on people who own an ipad and not an iphone for example, viewing Apple Inc apps at x2. I am sure they will be updated soon, hopefully! Till that day arrives, yes, webpages are an answer!

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
The iPad seems to be the neglected child in the Apple family. Until iOS4 is released for it or a new generation is announced, there won't be a clear signal to developers that Apple will continue to promote and improve the product, instead of choosing to ride on the sales. For now, it seems that the priority is to update apps with iOS4 compatibility and (a distant second) for the Retina display, and to make websites on which certain apps are based (Facebook etc) more friendly to mobile OS browsers generally.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
The iPad seems to be the neglected child in the Apple family. Until iOS4 is released for it or a new generation is announced, there won't be a clear signal to developers that Apple will continue to promote and improve the product, instead of choosing to ride on the sales. For now, it seems that the priority is to update apps with iOS4 compatibility and (a distant second) for the Retina display, and to make websites on which certain apps are based (Facebook etc) more friendly to mobile OS browsers generally.

I don't think the iPad is being neglected, I think it is just taking longer to roll out iOS4 for the iPad than it should. It wouldn't surprise me if the delays are because Apple is trying to fix some of the issues that are annoying users (e.g. Youtubegate).

I also highly doubt that this delay is a strategic move for the release of the iPad Gen 2 because that won't come until next year - Apple would be in for a severe consumer backlash if they released a new version of the iPad only a couple of months after it was released in some markets (we only got the iPad 3 weeks ago here in New Zealand) and they know it. It would also be completely out of the ordinary for them have anything other than a 12 month cycle, or to release a new product while the current one is still selling like hotcakes. It will only take a minor price adjustment to make it the must give gadget for Christmas, so it makes more economic sense to keep the current version for another 5-6 months, at least.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
What a civilized thread this is....kind, no tempers and acceptance of point of view.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
130 days out and the iPad already have broken the 20K milestone for Apps. That doesn't seem like a form of neglect to me.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
If I was a developer, I would be waiting for iOS 4 to come to the iPad before I updated my applications or released new ones.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
The point of this thread is to not see the OP's viewpoint as negative or as a neglect. He/she is simply saying that there are a few apps which Apple should have made universal [yes Facebook is not by Apple and Facebook should make their app universal - for those who will say "but FB is not by apple!"]. Anyone can use the web-based version but the web-based has many flaws:
  • No push notifications
  • No cache [in safari browser on current iPad OS]
  • Take longer time to open than the App as App remembers password and auto logins without the need to have to enter or click autofill

Remote, App Store, and definitely Texas Hold Em' by Apple should be made universal.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
To reiterate: there aren't app updates because developers aren't getting clear signals from Apple.

130 days out and the iPad already have broken the 20K milestone for Apps. That doesn't seem like a form of neglect to me.

Exactly my point. Apple doesn't have to rush updates (iOS4, new models) because sales are robust without them. They are coasting on the sales of the original models.

I don't think the iPad is being neglected, I think it is just taking longer to roll out iOS4 for the iPad than it should. It wouldn't surprise me if the delays are because Apple is trying to fix some of the issues that are annoying users (e.g. Youtubegate).

I also highly doubt that this delay is a strategic move for the release of the iPad Gen 2 because that won't come until next year [...]

This isn't about Apple itself, but about how app development reacts to Apple's business decisions. The lack of an OS update is a red flag for developers for two reasons. First, it makes little sense to update an app for the current iPad OS because, if/when the new OS is released, it will have to be revamped again. Second, until Apple shows a continued effort to improve the iPad in tandem with the iPhone (which involves either new hardware - unlikely at this point in time - or an OS update), developers, particularly those interested in broad-based distribution, will focus energy towards web-based solutions and other platforms (i.e. iPhone 4, Android).

I never said that delaying iOS4 for iPad was in preparation for new iPad models.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Presently, I have 28 apps sitting on my iPad waiting for the OS upgrade, all of them ready and OS4 tested, none of them installed beyond the OS3 original installation. I'm waiting to install anything that is listed as updated for OS4 until after the Fall upgrade because the one app that I did update doesn't work properly anymore; it's fine on my upgraded iPhone 3Gs but not on the iPad. It's aggravating not to be able to be current but there are still some apps on my iPhone that are buggy for OS4 and that's been a while ago, even with last week's update. More waiting...

I'll be glad when the whole mess is resolved.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I don't understand why people want a Facebook app on the iPad. The web version works and looks just fine on the iPad. Was one needed on the iPhone, no - but it looks a lot better that there is because of the small screen size. The iPad on the otherhand allows you to view full size web pages so I see a need for a dedicated iPad app. What more will an app give you that the full website can't?

Go into safari, call up facebook and then bookmark it. What could be easier?

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I don't understand why people want a Facebook app on the iPad. The web version works and looks just fine on the iPad. Was one needed on the iPhone, no - but it looks a lot better that there is because of the small screen size. The iPad on the otherhand allows you to view full size web pages so I see a need for a dedicated iPad app. What more will an app give you that the full website can't?

Go into safari, call up facebook and then bookmark it. What could be easier?

The ability to upload photos.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I never said that delaying iOS4 for iPad was in preparation for new iPad models.

Sorry for the confusion, my second paragraph was in anticipation of there being replies stating that it was indiciative of an early product refresh (just look at the iPad forum and have a gander at the squillions of threads regarding a September refresh).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.