Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:23 AM   #1
Herbst
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro doesn't start

My MacBook Pro is about 2 years old now, and has worked perfectly fine up until yesterday. Today however, it won't even boot.
When I press the power button, the hard drive and optical drive will make sounds as usual, and the small light will light up, but nothing else happens. If I keep the button pressed for a few seconds, the light will start flickering and then everything shuts off again. If I release the button at any time before that, it will shut down immediately.

I have already tried everything on this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1365
The battery is loaded, and I have tried starting the computer plugged in, not plugged in, and plugged in with the battery removed. I have also tried removing the RAM and putting it back in, or launching from the DVD, all to no effect.

Does anyone know what's going on here?
Herbst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:27 AM   #2
spinnerlys

If all the steps here don't work:

Mac doesn't boot
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

it's time to contact Apple and get it looked at. An Apple Authorised Repair Shop will do too of course. Do you still have warranty? And what exact MBP do you have?
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...acbookpro.html
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Herbst
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the swift response.

I tried everything on the pages you linked me (again), but the same thing I described always happens, no matter which other buttons I press.

My MBP is a 15" MacBookPro4,1 , of the 2.5 GHz variety if I recall correctly. I do believe I still have warranty, unless I unknowingly voided it (does installing Linux void the warranty?).

I guess I will have to have it looked at by Apple.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:51 AM   #4
spinnerlys

That MBP has the 8600M GT GPU, which is known to fail. If you don't have Apple Care (the prolonged warranty you can purchase within the first year of owning an MBP or any other Mac, to prolong the warranty from standard 12 months to 36 months), you should hope the 8600M GT is the culprit, as Apple has a replacement program for that GPU.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Herbst
macrumors newbie

I don't believe that's the problem, since the computer doesn't start at all, it's not just the video that fails. I do, however, have Apple Care, so that shouldn't really matter.

Thanks for your help. I'll have it looked at as soon as possible.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Herbst
macrumors newbie

So, I brought my MBP to the nearest Apple store, and it turns out it was the logic board that had failed. I had it replaced and everything is working well again.
All costs were covered by the warranty.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbst View Post
So, I brought my MBP to the nearest Apple store, and it turns out it was the logic board that had failed. I had it replaced and everything is working well again.
All costs were covered by the warranty.
Thats good. The logic board is one of the most expensive parts of the entire mac, so I'm glad that you had a warranty.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:46 AM   #8
hapachris
macrumors newbie

Herbst,
could you kindly tell me how long the repair took?
My MacBook Pro has now the exact same symptoms.
It's my Mac I use at work, so right now I can't work.
So I'm pretty desperate right now.
I do have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at the Apple Store though.
hapachris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro