Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1
kurtster
macrumors member

Editing a document on an iPad and 2 PCs -- what's the best app?

I'd like to take a document I've been working on at home, transfer it to the iPad to work on while on the train, and then continue editing it on my office PC (and do the reverse of that on the way home). I'm currently using Word at home and the office, but since it's just text entry, Pages would also do.

If I understand correctly, it's possible to use the file sync section in iTunes to import a file into Pages on the iPad, and then later export it back to the synced PC. If I were to go that route, what would be the best way to transfer the file from the iPad to the other PC and vice versa?

Any suggestions of other apps/workarounds are welcome.
kurtster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2
sbaishya
macrumors newbie

I use Office on my Mac and Office2 HD on my iPad.

The file is stored in my Dropbox so it can be accessed by both.
sbaishya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:01 AM   #3
orpheus1120
macrumors 65816

Just so everyone knows, Office2 HD does not support Office 2007/2010 XML formats (docx/xlsx). Although a couple of things I like about Office2 HD are its support for images inserting and saving documents as PDF.

In fact, all of the document apps are lacking in many ways. Documents 2 Go and Quickoffice don't support inserting images, and Pages for iPad is essentially a strip down version of the desktop Pages, which is a PITA if you are working cross platforms since Pages for iPad strips off details PERMANENTLY like footnotes, lists in tables, sections #s, section breaks etc. None of these apps allow documents to be saved as PDF.
orpheus1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Mike in Mass
macrumors newbie

I use DropBox to sync files between my laptop and iPad, and QuickOffice HD for editing. As noted above, all these editing apps are on the lite side, but so far, this combo is working for me. However, I still use the laptop for "heavy lifting".
Mike in Mass is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps